Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

Super Shotgun is the best shotgun in video game history.

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

Has anyone ever managed to improve the SSG by changing either the sprite, the sounds, or the mechanics?

I love the SSG of the Plutonia weapon set in Final Doomer+

It does a bit more damage in close range but has a bigger spread. It has a more powerful sound, smooth animations, some nice bullet decals/effects and shell ejections ... and it's bloodied!

The same mod in the BTSX weapon set has an SSG replacement that uses up 3 shotgun shells but does a LOT of damage in very close range. It has a baws reloading animation that reminds me of those Marathon animations.

10 hours ago, Memfis said:

Has anyone ever managed to improve the SSG by changing either the sprite, the sounds, or the mechanics?

I personally love the SSG from PSX Doom:

D0yHMRH.png

The new sounds are basically perfection too.

spelunkyshotgun.jpg.4fcac687dde0c1f1ab01181944acf401.jpg

I think anyone who's played Spelunky knows how absolutely vital the shotgun is so I think this takes the cake for me.

This thread would be less pointless without its crowder-esk presentation and more entertaining on literally any other forum.

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

This thread would be less pointless without its crowder-esk presentation and more entertaining on literally any other forum.

If it's pointless then why do you comment on it in the first place? Jeez, I thought this was the Doom community.

The shotgun in Bulletstorm is probably the most brutal, but then again all the weapons in that game are way over the top in brutality!  :D

Guest MIND

Agreed. Nothing nicer than that double barrled shotgun. Pure bliss everytime you press the left mouse button. Especially in Classic DOOM mode on Doom 4 when you use the old retro view. It looks much better when you're loading the bullets in.

I've played some F.E.A.R. now. I see why the shotgun there merited a mention. Straight up vapourising fuckers at close range is very satisfying.

I say any 4+ Barreled Shotgun from Complex DooM is amazing, especially the Quad-Shotgun or Hexa-Shotgun. Big boom best boom.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:06 PM, TakenStew22 said:

Prove me wrong.

Alas,im but a mere mortal and incapable of such things...cuz i enjoy sniping zombiemen from across the room with a twin-barreled shotgun who wouldnt?

19 minutes ago, 94's the best style said:

Also the Quake 1 double barrel, that baby shreds all of the targets and then seduces a passerby in the time it takes Doom 2 ssg to fire twice.

Quake 1's SSG was pathetic compared to Doom 2's SSG power-wise.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, termrork said:

has anyone ever managed to improve any doom weapon?

The Plasma rifle in Brutal Doom is a lot more satisfying to fire with Doom 3 sound effects and (kinda) the new sprite it has.

20 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Quake 1's SSG was pathetic compared to Doom 2's SSG power-wise.

That's because you're meant to use other weapons if you want omph, even plain nail gun has a darn good dps.

Personally I think the SSG is one of the greatest video game shotguns of all time, but it's definitely fun to compare and contrast it with other shotguns that I feel also perform supremely well within their own games, such as Painkiller, Quake and the newer Wolfenstein titles. While these weapons perform supremely well in their own game environment, their more intricate mechanics should be taken note of, from their visual appearance to how it's used, and most importantly, how it feels.

The SSG is an incredible workhorse that can perform well at almost any situation in Doom 2, perhaps only unsuitable at extreme long range, but only outclassed in raw power by the BFG9000. It could be argued that the RL has slightly higher damage per second, but who even has time to be wary of splash damage? The SSG is made for disintegrating enemies at point blank range. Same could be said for the Painkiller shotgun, its wide spread making it essential for close range combat, and it's utterly hilarious due to how far it flings enemies with a single blast.

Modern shotguns probably owe a lot to the SSG which I feel is the seminal video game shotgun. All the different video game shotguns I've used that feel powerful, heavy, meaty, have the WHOMP factor etc. have probably based their characteristics quite faithfully on the Doom's SSG. While shotgun designs can still vary, any good shotgun will probably share at least a little bit of the SSG's general design philosophy, and I believe that id Software really wrote the book on how to make a shotgun feel fucking great.

SSG has a higher pain chance, which is extra important against an Archvile. If you are 1-on-1 with an Archie without cover, you will probably eat a blast. Whereas with the SSG it's slightly more probable that you will break his attack and kill him without taking damage. Is it 55% chance to interrupt his attack? And you manage to hit him twice before he finishes it.

4 hours ago, VGA said:

SSG has a higher pain chance, which is extra important against an Archvile. If you are 1-on-1 with an Archie without cover, you will probably eat a blast. Whereas with the SSG it's slightly more probable that you will break his attack and kill him without taking damage. Is it 55% chance to interrupt his attack? And you manage to hit him twice before he finishes it.

There's enemies like mancubus and arachnotron which will recover too fast from pain for ssg to be effective, normal shotty is better against them, as well as against any former human, as being defenseless for even a second translates to 20-40% health off if you can't kill them all in one shot.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:07 PM, Rimantas said:

How come Flak Cannon is SSG? :)

I didn't nomenclate it as a SSG. The topic is about shotguns, not super shotguns specifically. The weapon's functionality is very similar to that of a shotgun. 

Just now, Ajora said:

The weapon's functionality is very similar to that of a shotgun.

Yeah, i remember Flak Cannon was my most handy and satisfying gun. Technically it is UT's Shotgun and SSG in one. :)

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

I didn't nomenclate it as a SSG. The topic is about shotguns, not super shotguns specifically. The weapon's functionality is very similar to that of a shotgun. 

It's also stronger than stinger, which is found much earlier, and could be seen as single shotty counterpart to brutal force of flak cannon ssg.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:03 PM, Memfis said:

When it comes to vanilla Doom, no, I don't think any weapon has outranked the super shotgun. Mainly because it has a great trade-off: two shells for roughly thrice the firepower. If it was more of a 1:1 (i.e. it was only twice as powerful), I don't think it would be as good. But those 13 extra pellets make all the difference, especially at close range. You basically have the equivalent of the rocket launcher with no major drawback at close range. Long range is a different story.

When it comes to aesthetics, though, I do prefer the more sawn-off look that some mods, such as Project Brutality, have gone with. Also makes sense in context, as a sawn-off shotgun has horrible accuracy due to the shorter barrels. Those mods also offer automatic shotguns which I personally prefer, especially when you get something like a drum magazine that can let it hold up to 20-30 shells at a time before reloading. It's not as strong, but much faster and more accurate over the same range.