Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
G01000011

Pre-Alpha Doom Crucible?

I was looking through the Pre-Alpha WAD and found something called DAGGA0. Is this the Crucible in an early form?DAGA0.jpg.270aa56fc491b1650c22d850c74234fe.jpg

There were many items in the alphas that never got into the game, demon daggers were one of them. No relation to the crucible, that's something from the newer Doom

On 10/14/2018 at 12:29 PM, G01000011 said:

I was looking through the Pre-Alpha WAD and found something called DAGGA0. Is this the Crucible in an early form?DAGA0.jpg.270aa56fc491b1650c22d850c74234fe.jpg

I don't remember seeing that one - which alpha?

the colors are messed up on it since id reorganized the palette but didn't regenerate the sprites to use the new palettes, it's supposed to be a gold dagger. it's the demonic dagger treasure item mentioned in the doom bible.

i think it's fairly safe to assume that most of the story concepts in Doom 2016 didn't come into existence until that project entered life, even if it did draw inspiration from the older media.

I could be wrong but i think the only usages of this thing is to gain score, like those jewels in wolf3d. But since score got removed they removed this as well. i dont think that there is deeper story behind this.

Probably a reference to Evil Dead 2's Kandarian Dagger, considering what Doom's big influence was. 

It's the demonic dagger with an incorrect palette:

image.png

Edited by Marn

I just thought with what looks like a skull on the end and the coloured blade it could have been a design choice from that type of weapon.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:45 PM, Marn said:

It's the demonic dagger with an incorrect palette:

image.png

Looks like items you would see in Strife. I like em.