Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

The Doom 64 EX soundtrack sounds a little bit different than the original...

I noticed by 2:43 to 3:25 the EX version has a louder ambience and seems alot more atmospheric than the original. Did they "remaster" it or something?

No, it was because the original 64 couldn't play certain notes at certain times due to the hardware.  In EX that was fixed so it sounds how it should be.  If you want another example listen to Breakdown's music.

1 minute ago, Impboy4 said:

No, it was because the original 64 couldn't play certain notes at certain times due to the hardware.  In EX that was fixed so it sounds how it should be.  If you want another example listen to Breakdown's music.

Huh. That's pretty cool.

Sounds to me like it's just a different MIDI soundfont or synth. It's hard to tell, but for sure Doom 64 EX doesn't come with any data files, you have to provide the ROM yourself.

It's the same samples as the original, it's just how the port was made to fix the MIDI playback issues.

Doom64=low quality due of cartridge limitations, including sound

Doom64 EX=high quality

The N64 doesn't have a dedicated sound chip, so the workload falls on the CPU. I guess they cut corners to avoid losing framerate. But the Doom 64 EX code runs on modern hardware and doesn't have to make concessions on fidelity. It plays the same sound data.