Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Does XDRE have a walkcam?

As some of you are aware, I've been using the ancient DRE until now, I got used to it, and I cannot complain.

The reason I didn't switch to xepop's XDRE was that it didn't run properly in the past (was crashing).

The reason I'm doing it now is the weirdness of Eternal Doom's MAP31, due to some overflows probably: TimeOfDeath's UV Max Demo (the one in 11:31) desyncs as early as 0:16, Chocolate Doom plays back the demo just fine, but DRE based on Prb+ 2.2.6.2 doesn't; my own demo desynched after 0:24, so I changed the program. The good news is, this time, XDRE worked for me.

DRE had one useful feature which I cannot find in XDRE: the walkcam. Am I missing something? In just two seconds of a demo I really needed it twice, first to adjust the angle in order to avoid collision with "infinitely tall" hell knight, second to see the blood splats on a chaingunner better (and estimate the damage without the need of saving the demo and running it with a separate PrBoom+).

I guess if this feature is not there, I will return to DRE after this map...

Vita was working on xdre for a time. He might be able to patch that back in if it isn't there somewhere.

MAP31 has a Spechits Overflow (see here) and since DRE was based on v2.2.6.2, which didn't have emulation, you'll have to turn emulation off to get it to sync in modern PRBoom+ (and it won't work in vanilla). If XDRE doesn't have a walkcam I'd just use DRE and make a note of it in the text file.

XDRE indeed doesn't have a walkcam, I never got to adding it anyway. I'm not too likely to implement it any time soon but if someone has a patch, feel free to send it.

Thanks for the replies.

This is a feature I use a lot, so a big surprise XDRE users don't. Examples of what I do with that

- Adjusting remote effects. I set up infighting. I see a baron switching to attack pattern  (A few tics before it will be triggered no matter what). I change my movement in these tics or even earlier so that the baron fireball hits the monster I want it to hit. Without walkcam I don't really see what is happening far away behind me or on the side

- Navigating narrow corridors. I guess it's just me, as looking at the speed (distance) should be sufficient, but I find it easier by looking at the player. The trick often is to get him as close to the wall as possible, but without reducing speed

Anyway, Andy's post gave me an idea, unexpectedly

What is causing spechit overflow in this specific map are monsters walking over the barbecue (see gif0

This stupid sergeant gets there at 0:24 and by 0:32 he will be killed!

Just a few seconds of manipulation and maybe I can avoid this overflow altogether.

So the options are:

1. Continue with XDRE (learn to build without the walkcam)

2. Andy's advice (DRE and compability loss)

3. DRE, some extra effort to avoid the spechit overflow for a few seconds and then back to normal (no compability loss)

2kajvu.gif

The problem (in this case) is that at soon as you have a demo that desyncs in one of them, you can't then work on it in that exe.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, vdgg said:

DRE had one useful feature which I cannot find in XDRE: the walkcam.

10 hours ago, vdgg said:

This is a feature I use a lot, so a big surprise XDRE users don't. Examples of what I do with that

I'd like to check this walkcam sometime, just curious. Thanks for mentioning and explaining about this additional auxiliary feature in DRE.

Didn't have an experience building with the Replay Editor in PrBoom v2.2.6.2, but can somebody make it clear 

beforehand can this duo be used to build lengthy demo in eventful modern cl9 map without any problems?

10 hours ago, vdgg said:

So the options are:

1. Continue with XDRE (learn to build without the walkcam) 

2. Andy's advice (DRE and compability loss)

3. DRE, some extra effort to avoid the spechit overflow for a few seconds and then back to normal (no compability loss)

I wonder what path did you choose to follow. Cope with the bug or use XDRE to avoid it?

Edited by Player177

4 minutes ago, Player177 said:

Didn't have an experience building with the Replay Editor in PrBoom v2.2.6.2, but can somebody make it clear 

beforehand can this duo be used to build lengthy demo in eventful modern cl9 map without any problems?

Vanilla only, complevel 2 (3 with -iwad doom or 4 with -iwad tnt/plutonia). The most helpful thread was probably this one:

As for the last question, and I'm not that fast, I haven't decided yet.

Things have slightly changed since then. In XDRE 2.20 you can switch to walkcam mode by clicking on PrBoom+ window and pressing the respectful key determined in prboom-plus.cfg (key_walkcamera). One press removes your weapon and another press leaves the camera on the current spot. There's only one problem: you can't move it around the map or turn it left/right. All you can do is choose a tic you want to use for the camera and expect things to be properly shown from that spot and angle. 

If there was a way to turn off XDRE pause and give mouse+WASD control to the player while in walkcam mode, that would be great.

Spoiler

image.png.331338e9c362c2b878ecdd3b84a6efc5.png

Edited by Dimon12321