Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

If Doomworld had to change its name to something without the word "Doom" in the title, what would it be?

dwkfa.com

Do something with the initials DW since those are my initials too :D

cacoworld is great

If this all gets changed, would you take donations to help run the site?

@pritch has a point about contacting the owner(s) of the domain. Surely with a little determination they can be reached, and with a little money convinced to hand it over. 

28 minutes ago, meapineapple said:

@pritch has a point about contacting the owner(s) of the domain. Surely with a little determination they can be reached, and with a little money convinced to hand it over. 

I would absolutely hand over a chunk of change to keep the name around.  Account is only 2 years old, but I've been lurking here since I found it via a webring in 99.  So yeah, it makes me sad to think this staple of my youth could change in such a significant way.

But that doesn't address the other (IMO bigger) issue of the perpetual threat of litigation.  Taken to court, DW *might* win that fight given it's age, not making money off the site, etc.  But is that something they can afford to do?  No way to outlast a giant corporation should they decide to tie you up in court.  They have the resources, we don't.

That Doomed board game reminds me of when Newdoom had mugs and t-shirts with 'Newdoom' on them for sale at Cafe Press (or whatever that site was called) and we got the cease and desist letter form id. I thought it was ridiculous at the time and that was many years ago before id got ZeniMaxxed.

Hard to imagine Doomworld with another name but a name change is far better than no Doomworld at all. Cacoworld seems the best of all the suggestions so far.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Wow, didn't know that domain ownership was in such a state. 20 years of that shit?! Sorry Ling! I had been wondering for a while whether you had been approached by Bethesda from the time forward Doom 2016 was announced - guess not.

I think I could get used to www.cacoworld.com - fits with the annual awards, which run pretty far back with the site's history.

Best I could come up with on my own was:

- baronsofhell.com (not even a popular monster anymore)

- wadsup.com (groan)

I survived the format change of the page, so I'll survive a name change too I think.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:16 AM, ReaperAA said:

ripntear.com

Appears to be taken.

As does hugeguts.com   :(

ripandtearyourguts.com is available, but it might be a little on the lengthy side.

On a less serious note, taking the description from Everything Else, ultraprogressive.world and ultraprogressiveworld.com are both available, heh.

Edited by DooMAD : lulz

I was gonna suggest cacodemon.org, but cacoworld.com is good too. I always imagined Doom with a cacodemon drawn up in the corner, staring evilly and preparing to belch ball lightning. Maybe Cacoworld is safer than cacodemon anyway. Even though the latter is a common dictionary word, I'm not sure if it isn't too strongly associated with Doom by now.

I think the .org TLD is more appropriate for free and open source (non-profit) communities, but I concede that .com is safer, especially because it sucks not getting the TLD right (wtf was it last time, .org, .net or .com?), and .com is the easiest to remember.

I know Linguiça's work is already done by now (having rented the needed caco domains), but wouldn't "caco.world" be a catchy name? This would get rid of all the classic TLD decision awkwardness and having to secure all of .org/.net/.com against typo viruses.

Gonna need to change that Cyberdemon image at the top left to the Cacodemon one with the new name (or better yet do the black magic voodoo necessary to get the random image cycle working again on the new software)

Also having a casual rofl and lmao at the fact that words like "doom", "air", "tree", "fart" etc can be fucking trademarked, like wtf they're 1 syllable words that were in use a thousand years beforehand, that's some ol bullshit

29 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Also having a casual rofl and lmao at the fact that words like "doom", "air", "tree", "fart" etc can be fucking trademarked, like wtf they're 1 syllable words that were in use a thousand years beforehand, that's some ol bullshit

Yeahhh... so speaking of that, I did copyright the use of the word "kid" at the end of a username, so gonna have to get you a C&D...

On 10/19/2018 at 12:55 AM, Antnee said:

Taken to court, DW *might* win that fight given it's age, not making money off the site, etc.  But is that something they can afford to do?  No way to outlast a giant corporation should they decide to tie you up in court.  They have the resources, we don't.

Taking into account all the times I can recall id taking legal actions against people, two common factors stand out in all cases: 1) it was a case where, as with the 'We're Doomed' board game, some potential monetary gain was involved, or 2) it was a case where people were taking published stuff and remaking it in some fashion or another. Like the case with some long ago mod whose name I've forgotten, where they wanted to re-make Doom 3 in UE3 (they got a cease and desist), or with Classic Doom 3 (they didn't get a cease and desist, but were essentially warned about the thin ice they were treading on.) With every legal case id have taken against someone that I'm aware of, it's involved one of these two common threads. The second factor is not really applicable to this website, and the site makes no money.

I don't fault anyone for feeling nervous about litigation, but I honestly think if they had an issue with it, they'd have done something by now. id have known about this site since at least 2001 or so, and Zenimax have owned them for going on ten years now, so I'm sure it's crossed their radar at some point as well. My guess is that as long as there's no money being made, they really don't give a shit.

With all that being said, I don't blame people for wanting to have a back-up plan in place.   

Not to be pedantic, but we aren't talking about "id" anymore, we're talking about Bethesda/ZeniMax.  Two totally different beasts WRT how they interact(ed) with the community.

I agree that maybe this ain't a chicken little scenario, but I've completely lost faith in any large developer's ability to just be cool about communities like this.

Hopefully ZeniMax might actually see this site as a net positive for their brand because we're effectively showcasing their latest game for them and it isn't costing them anything.  Free publicity is the best publicity.

Unless Bethesda/ZeniMax has an actual need to occupy doomworld.com for marketing purposes or something similar, they probably don't even care that this site exists (barring piracy and other malfeasance). Copyrights are usually defended in order to avoid "confusion or dilution of a brand or IP." Ling isn't really making anything by running this site, so he's not undermining potential commercial or financial gain by Bethesda/ZeniMax. If anything, it's a bastion for enthusiasts, new and old, and actually benefits them by cultivating grassroots fandom. Now, obviously I don't know what C&D letters or any sort of legal communication Ling's received as the owner/operator of this site, but I find it highly unlikely that there'd be any scenario in which the holders of the Doom IP would benefit from putting this community under duress or torpedoing it altogether. Again, for all I know, Ling may be waist-deep in the discovery proceedings of a lawsuit, but I'm guessing not. Ours is a litigious culture, but there usually has to be some benefit, precedent, or legitimate reason for filing suit. People need to stop going full-on Chicken Little about this type of thing.

This is just my opinion based on 8 years working in a law office.  

If that's all said and done, how exactly would places like Facebook police groups using the name "Doom" in their name? There could be hundreds, if not thousands of groups and it could be a game of whack-a-mole if you resorted to those tactics and not only piss off users but fragment the smaller community that is there.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:26 PM, Liberation said:

WadWorld

lol. this. or dumbworld.com for some threads.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

How is it SO MANY people can't read the bloody thread title? Seriously? It literally states right there - WITHOUT THE WORD DOOM. Whats the point of contributing to a thread if you don't really know what the hell you're contributing to?

@Ledillman's joke name is surprisingly profound when it's literally sandwiched between people who can't read.

c49e71c956acf9b89a9c0e142388d209.png

That was the joke, yes.

On a more serious note, maybe something along the lines of creative censorship.  Maybe "dmworld"?  Or maybe something based on the engine (tech1world)?

Nah, that second one's dumb.

3 hours ago, Job said:

Unless Bethesda/ZeniMax has an actual need to occupy doomworld.com for marketing purposes or something similar, they probably don't even care that this site exists (barring piracy and other malfeasance). Copyrights are usually defended in order to avoid "confusion or dilution of a brand or IP." Ling isn't really making anything by running this site, so he's not undermining potential commercial or financial gain by Bethesda/ZeniMax. If anything, it's a bastion for enthusiasts, new and old, and actually benefits them by cultivating grassroots fandom. Now, obviously I don't know what C&D letters or any sort of legal communication Ling's received as the owner/operator of this site, but I find it highly unlikely that there'd be any scenario in which the holders of the Doom IP would benefit from putting this community under duress or torpedoing it altogether. Again, for all I know, Ling may be waist-deep in the discovery proceedings of a lawsuit, but I'm guessing not. Ours is a litigious culture, but there usually has to be some benefit, precedent, or legitimate reason for filing suit. People need to stop going full-on Chicken Little about this type of thing.

This is just my opinion based on 8 years working in a law office.  

Ostensibly true, but don't underestimate the increasing potential for making collective poor decisions the bigger the company gets. When id was what it was at Doom's release, you probably could've had a conversation with Jay Wilbur and worked something out in writing in hours. At a company the size of Beth/Zenimax, the lawyers and senior management probably don't even share a vision of what the company owns or should own, or what is important to protect / not protect. Ultimately senior management tend to defer to the lawyers over IP, because it's safer, and the lawyers, in my experience anyway, tend to want to take the initiative wherever possible, both to make money and justify their position / existence, and to preclude any charge of having failed to act should something hit the fan down the line. Once a company has scaled like Beth/Zenimax, you have to give up the idea of finding a voice of reason and basically prepare for the worst case scenario if you have interactions with them. The fact that fans hate the kind of shit that goes with a software company growing and becoming acquisitive matters almost zero to said company by the time it has grown to this size (*Ahem*, EA sports...)

Here's another question, how would changing the domain name affect Google/other engine search results? Or would just the metatags just take care of that?