Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Why do Christians hate DOOM?

Honestly, I wonder why Christians hate DOOM. DOOM is about killing demons from hell. HELL. The one place they resent the most. I understand they seem to hate violence and whatnot, but they are the same people who believe that Satan is trying to brainwash the media. Honestly, there should be a HUGE exception for DOOM.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding (I'm 99% sure this is the case) Because A. I'm a dumbass, B. I'm not Christian, and C. I've never read a bible in my life!

Not all Christians hate Doom, but the ones that do hate it probably hear that Doom features demons and Hell, so without actually playing it, they assume it must be "glorifying the Devil."

3 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Not all Christians hate Doom, but the ones that do hate it probably hear that Doom features demons and Hell, so without actually playing it, they assume it must be "glorifying the Devil."

Satan himself has never appeared in any DOOM game! Well, I never saw him in DOOM 1 or 2, I quit playing DOOM 3 without finishing after a while, and I'm almost finished with DOOM 2016. I also own DOOM 64 but I haven't played it yet because I do not own a Nintendo 64 yet. I know, there's a WAD that is basically DOOM 64 for the PC, but I want to play it in it's original format first.

The same fundamentalists who panicked about video game violence in the early to mid-nineties have moved onto other things to get angry and fearful about.

2 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Satan himself has never appeared in any DOOM game!

I know that and you know that, but those who have never looked at the game and have simply heard that Doom has demons and Hell don't know that. They just assume it, or they don't care that he is not actually in the game, saying that it glorifies him anyway.

Just now, Empyre said:

I know that and you know that, but those who have never looked at the game and have simply heard that Doom has demons and Hell don't know that. They just assume it, or they don't care that he is not actually in the game, saying that it glorifies him anyway.

Yeah, they're too busy watching Faux News to even bother doing research.

Just now, Mr. Freeze said:

Christian here. I love Doom. AMA. 

Then you fall into this category:

16 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Not all Christians hate Doom

8 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Were your parents Christian? How did they react when you asked them you wanted to buy DOOM?

Dad is Greek Orthodox (like me), Mom is Irish Catholic. 

Dad let me rent Doom on the SNES when I was a kid, I don't think he knew what it was about. Once I had my own allowance money I bought Doom myself and history was made. 

I believe in God and Jesus and I read the bible, that would make me a Christian but I'm not Christian. 

In churches, the pastors, pastor's supervisor, and churches's presidents engage you to hate everything.

When I used to go to school, even teachers engages you to hate everything, Christian and Catholic teachers do that here

Just now, Gerardo194 said:

When I used to go to school, even teachers engages you to hate everything, Christian and Catholic teachers do that here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the highest priorities in Christian faith is to love everyone?

1 minute ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the highest priorities in Christian faith is to love everyone?

If you dont love their religion or own opinion, they will despise you

Just now, Gothic said:

What kind of christian would NOT love Doom after watching this?

Oh my god I love that commercial! I didn't like the actual Atari Jaguar port of Doom, though. (I played it on an emulator and that's only because I don't want an Atari Jaguar in my house.)

As a very, very conservative Christian, I love Doom more than almost any other game.

It's literally a story about a white Catholic virgin going into hell to avenge his friends and kill demons. What's not to like?

2 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Honestly, I wonder why Christians hate DOOM.

I wonder what gives you the idea that Christians (as in all of them) hate doom, especially when you yourself say that:

2 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

B. I'm not Christian, and C. I've never read a bible in my life!

Never mind that id's representation of hell in the doom series isn't anything like hell as it is described in christian beliefs, even though id says they mean the biblical hell.

If anything, the idea of frequently coming across satanic symbols and such is not something that goes down well for the more faint hearted bible thumpers out there, but that doesn't mean that literally all Christians on this planet hate doom.

54 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Love the sinner, hate the sin.

This is really stereotypical.  I am Christian and DOOM has been my life since I turned 7.  Also most Christians would believe that Satan is trying to brainwash everything because that is all he can do to spite God for kicking him and his followers out of Heaven.  Yes, there are some Christians who hate DOOM (I personally have never met one), but this more likely do to the use of demonic symbols as decoration.

Some of those "demonic symbols" weren't originally intended as demonic in the first place though, pentagrams and pentacles were originally religious symbols and pagan's used them. Each of the five points represent four elements and the spirit and these symbols are also used as protection.

I'm Roman Catholic and I like Doom. I have several friends who are Christians of various denominations who like Doom. My wife doesn't like Doom, but not because she grew up Baptist and converted to Catholicism, but because it's not her kind of game. She doesn't mind me playing Doom so long as it doesn't take away from other things that she thinks are more important (family, house, and work). My parents are both Catholic and the biggest problem they ever had with Doom was back when I was in high school and I was playing it instead of coming to bed on a school night.

So, are there Christians that hate Doom? Sure. But I'm sure there are also plenty of Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, etc. that hate Doom. Just like there's plenty of people of all religious stripes that hate heavy metal, Dungeons & Dragons, and Halloween. But there are plenty of people of all religious stripes that like these things, including Christians that like Doom.