Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

how 'da frik frak do i make a skybox in doom builder 2!?!

i just want to make a simple skybox so that my level has an "official" feel to it. i tried "line horizon" but i just get an endless void filled with floor and roof tiles.

does anyone know how to do this? and can i apply a skybox to a roof?

Depends on what format you are mapping in.

Boom maps usually don't have an actual "skybox" but do have a line horizon line special.

UDMF allows you to build an actual skybox and use a skybox viewpoint thing to create it.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Depends on what format you are mapping in.

Boom maps usually don't have an actual "skybox" but do have a line horizon line special.

UDMF allows you to build an actual skybox and use a skybox viewpoint thing to create it.

Actually Boom doesn't have a line horizon special (that is only for Hexen and UDMF format) but I believe there is a nodebuilder trick you can use to get line horizons in Boom

5 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

can you tell me the process of creating a skybox? preferably in step-by-step format?

If you're talking about sky textures then the only thing you need to do is find the F_SKY1 texture and paste it on the ceiling and you have yourself a sky.

But if you're talking about actual skyboxes then follow these steps, keep in mind that this is only available in Hexen or UDMF format but it can be made in Doom and Doom 2 format if you're mapping for GZDoom and ZDoom:

1. Make a sector outside your map, it can be of any shape. (The sector is pointed by a red arrow)

Click on the spoiler to see image:

Spoiler

01.png.110bab38b64414d0668ab42deabb63e7.png

2. The next thing you want to do is to go to the sector you want to be your skybox and put a skybox viewpoint thing inside it, this will be the camera for the skybox.

Spoiler

02.png.68b0d196775ba069b2f3238fb0a809dd.png

Remember, your skybox viewpoint thing will replace the SKY1-3 texture used by the F1_SKY1 texture and instead will display your skybox. Here's a screenshot of it in action.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181019_171845.png.b437eb79b8753e36d56589ecdacb0566.png

Here's how it really looks like in GZDoom Builder's Visual Mode:

Spoiler

03.png.4cf535c337d8b0215572f42398e88489.png

By the way, you can adjust where the skybox viewpoint is facing using the angle setting that you can find when you place or edit a thing. It's the same procedure as other formats like Hexen and UDMF. If you have a few questions then feel free to ask, I'll try to answer them.

6 hours ago, therektafire said:

Actually Boom doesn't have a line horizon special (that is only for Hexen and UDMF format)

When doing a Boom map, you can put line action 337 on the lines you want and then when it is played in ZDoom it will turn it into a line horizon.

I know I have used it in ZDoom before but oddly enough it did not work in GZDoom.

See here:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/48770-create-endless-horizons

I believe vanilla Doom and by extension any port, can handle unknown linetypes.

It's unknown sector types and things that vanilla can't handle and thus may also crash a port.

4 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

If you're talking about sky textures then the only thing you need to do is find the F_SKY1 texture and paste it on the ceiling and you have yourself a sky.

But if you're talking about actual skyboxes then follow these steps, keep in mind that this is only available in Hexen or UDMF format but it can be made in Doom and Doom 2 format if you're mapping for GZDoom and ZDoom:

1. Make a sector outside your map, it can be of any shape. (The sector is pointed by a red arrow)

Hide contents

01.png.110bab38b64414d0668ab42deabb63e7.png

2. The next thing you want to do is to go to the sector you want to be your skybox and put a skybox viewpoint thing inside it, this will be the camera for the skybox.

Hide contents

02.png.68b0d196775ba069b2f3238fb0a809dd.png

Remember, your skybox viewpoint thing will replace the SKY1-3 texture used by the F1_SKY1 texture and instead will display your skybox. Here's a screenshot of it in action.

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20181019_171845.png.b437eb79b8753e36d56589ecdacb0566.png

Here's how it really looks like in GZDoom Builder's Visual Mode:

Hide contents

03.png.4cf535c337d8b0215572f42398e88489.png

By the way, you can adjust where the skybox viewpoint is facing using the angle setting that you can find when you place or edit a thing. It's the same procedure as other formats like Hexen and UDMF. If you have a few questions then feel free to ask, I'll try to answer them.

you said the F1_sky1 texture is replaced with the skybox right? so, does the F1_SKY1 texture display the skybox automatically?

Just now, Nevander said:

When doing a Boom map, you can put line action 337 on the lines you want and then when it is played in ZDoom it will turn it into a line horizon.

I know I have used it in ZDoom before but oddly enough it did not work in GZDoom.

See here:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/48770-create-endless-horizons

Ok, sure, but when I said "you can't do line horizons in Boom" what I meant was even if you put a horizon special on a line it won't act like a horizon in prboom because line horizons aren't a feature of that port. Only people who play on GZDoom or ZDoom will see it

i figured it out: you need to use the F1_SKY1 texture for the skybox to work, and line horizon to get the walls out of the way!

10 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

i figured it out: you need to use the F1_SKY1 texture for the skybox to work, and line horizon to get the walls out of the way!

Well that explains why nobody could answer your question. What you wanted isn't called a skybox, skies are just textures in Doom. A skybox is something entirely different.