Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2018

4 hours ago, Swalzi said:

@Ryath I'm sorry to say, but I'm dropping out of NaNoWADmo. Reason is due to not enjoying the mapping and direction my wad is going.

Good luck to everyone!

Don't worry about it! You gave it a shot and nobody can blame you for dropping something you're not enjoying. I hope you can turn that WAD around sometime soon!

E1M8 again, now at the point where all that's left to be done is the rigging up of the monster teleporters plus some flagging of lines as hidden or secret in the cathedral proper:

45002841865_a3337ce15f_o.png

Four-ish maps in sixteen days, I'm hoping that E1M1 and E1M9 are relatively quick because E1M5 through E1M7 are likely to be as involved as any other maps.

Really pleased with how #18 turned out. Can you believe that over 200 monsters are crammed into this relatively small map?

Tiny screenshot because my upload limit is almost reached and idek what to do about this

image.png.0d0061f22462404307a52ec8216f00fa.png

image.png.2eda37f701ef625840dd2c63d18c9abd.png 

Here's map #19, destined for the MAP32 slot

image.png.501f71810ded86925e9ce0fc207a3626.png

Spoiler

This is my very first attempt at an Icon map and actually it turned out way better than I expected

Instead of a monster spawner, this map uses a combination of teleports, SS monsters, and inaccessible archviles to keep the Icon of Antisemitism defended

map%2319%20screenshot%201.png?raw=1

Edited by meapineapple

E2 is going swimmingly, really trying to hone into the classic shores of hell atmosphere. Lots of Sandy'esque texture choices and strange rooms and interconnections.

rVU0S3v.png?1

JMIVKKi.png?1

iUcVhr5.png?1

behind a bit, but still trying to keep some sort of pace; gotta take a small break though.

Map10:

oIboyrx.jpg

(yes, it's just a box with boxes in it)

Map11:

z5eOJe6.jpg

Map12:

urmkVIV.jpg

Map #20 strays pretty far from my usual habits and preferences regarding how to design combat. It takes more inspiration from @Suitepee's recent Hell Revealed 2 streaming than anything else. I guess I'll have to see how people end up liking it

map%2320%20screenshot%201.png?raw=1

image.png

Edited by meapineapple

MAP02 is done! 

In-game screenshots:

DsUApBBWsAAF9dG.jpg

DsUApBCW0AASSDf.jpg

DsUApA5WwAIOsAo.jpg

DsUApBRX4AUGgNY.jpg

Editor shot:

unknown.png

Very pleased with how this one came out, albeit it being a techbase. It's a bit of a toughie too.

Now which should be the next map I make....

A new map. I wanted to extend the idea of my "4800 Hell Knights" submission (but with more monster variation :P). I could speed up the process when I stopped worrying (too much) about stuff being aligned.

Spoiler

image.png.64ce57a5372b6ccf0303940816aa947f.png

I usually post every 5 maps, but since I'm slowing down, I'll just do it now

Spoiler

Map11: Teleports for Dummies

ZZuuVPO.jpg

qJgEuEM.png

5Ei7A4Q.png

Map12: Micro Base (WIP name)

xriBEEd.jpg

nSuSSOz.png

TlP7jtv.png

Map13: Crap Control (it's a sewer map! yay)

ZkEcBnT.jpg

YnTfXME.png

JIykWNF.png

Map14: Not Safe For Work

HATGuOX.jpg

jnfS2UU.png

Map #21:

♪ Take me down to the lost soul city where the souls are lost and the elements are painful

Oh won't you please take me down 

map%2321%20screenshot%201.png?raw=1

image.png.9615201e3880828a5e2f3cefb2d7ab9f.png

Edited by meapineapple

My mapping pretty much slowed to a complete halt, managed to squeeze out a small "city" map though:

map7.png.c257822882b4373e10635cdfab8a31d6.png

Well, I'm going to end up with at least three whole maps. I have three more in progress ones, but ultimately I think "megawad in a month" isn't really my thing. Maybe if I was already super inspired before starting. Now, I think I'd rather focus on other stuff, like making sure my DMP map gets finished.

Just wrapped up map #23. This one is a pretty simple tech/concrete area, featuring only shotgun and pistol combat, but lots of verticality.

I've been thinking that this would be a good time to find a playtester or two. Is there anyone who'd be interested in going through the maps and letting me know your thoughts?

image.png.22db8b2910fc21b75de52b18b2521ae6.png

I'm feeling pretty good with how map #24 turned out visually, especially considering I only spent a few hours on it

Still would really appreciate some playtesting! Let me know if you'd like to have an early go at this megawad

image.png.59728ca224530cdb3f2f16ae399d490c.png

image.png.e93e8c154ef069d23e88aae51d62f4e3.png

image.png.eae9ef6fe3428e51c0a30ff3cd2eed46.png

Made a short map for slot #2

map8.png.801ddf71fbdc2a05e3dacce29c293117.png

If I were to finish all my current WIP maps i would have a total of 14, thats almost a megawad right?

8 hours ago, franckFRAG said:

technically, a wad can be a megawad if it composed of 15 maps minimum

Didn't this get discussed earlier this year? I remember seeing a thread about length, but I don't recall there being a resolution in the thread.

3) Completing the challenge simply means finishing a full megaWAD for whatever game you're mapping for. That likely means 32 maps, since most people will probably want to map for Doom II. But if you're doing Doom or Heretic we'll say three full episodes -- 27 maps. And if you're mapping for a more obscure IWAD, we can work out the details. Maps can be any length, for any port, and any gameplay style, as long as they can be played from start to finish (though one or two progression-breaking bugs are okay). Obviously you can't just make 32 boxes with exit switches, and there's a point where it's clear you didn't really try to make proper maps, but I doubt we'll have to worry about that.

Okay, so what if you don't make it to 32 (or 27) maps by the deadline? What if you've only got 25? Or 12? Or 3? Well, then you've got 25 or 12 or 3 maps you didn't have at the beginning of November! You've got something to build off of at your leisure, or a cool concept you can turn into an even cooler concept later. The idea of the challenge is to get your mapping juices flowing, so if you get anything done, pat yourself on the back! You did it!

My understanding is to try to go for the "full Megawad" of 32.

Map14:

O7gZtpe.jpg

Map15:

n8ZJDsZ.jpg

Just a week left! How's everyone doing? Now's probably a good time to remind everyone of a few things.

For starters, yes the challenge is to get to 32 maps (for Doom 2) or 27 maps (for Doom), but what matters more is whether you're happy with the progress you've made. Even one map done is an accomplishment you should be proud of.

Whatever goal you set for yourself at the beginning of this month, if you haven't made it yet -- don't worry. A lot can be done in 7 days. The last week of NaNoWADMo is usually the point where I start reevaluating my plans. Sometimes I cut out a few of the more ambitious ideas I know will take too long to implement (but don't throw them out -- you can save them for later!). Mostly I simplify everything down to its purest form. If I have a cool idea for a combat gimmick, I'll make a map that's just one fight using that gimmick. If I want to do a particular puzzle, I'll make just enough map to fit that puzzle -- no filler. You can always expand on the ideas later.

But the most important thing to remember is that it's okay not hit your goal. Don't push yourself too hard to hit a made-up deadline. And DON'T. STRESS. YOURSELF.