Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2018

I'm making a similar concept by myself with a most loose time restriction (i started it at the end of July and i make maps when i want) and with randomized themes from a list i made out...

Here's a demo version of the map, i've made more maps meanwhille (reached the 14 maps yesterday)...

Anyway, i like this idea and i wish you good luck with the project!

EDIT: wait isn't a megawad just needs 15 levels to be called in that way (according to "official" statement)?

Are you a bad enough dude to map a megaWAD in a month?

No.  Next question.

I'd like to think I could do this- I can make an individual map in a couple days- but 32 levels... Man I just don't know how you do it.

Have you released any of these one-month-megawads?

56 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

EDIT: wait isn't a megawad just needs 15 levels to be called in that way (according to "official" statement)?

That's true, yeah. As far as I know there's no official term for a 32-map WAD but that's what we're going for. Or 27 for Doom. The idea is just to have roughly one map for each day of the month.

49 minutes ago, Antnee said:

I'd like to think I could do this- I can make an individual map in a couple days- but 32 levels... Man I just don't know how you do it.

Have you released any of these one-month-megawads?

Give it a try! You might surprise yourself!

The first time I attempted this, it was because it always took me so long to finish a map. I was spending weeks, months, half a year on a single map. I wanted to change that, so I gave myself this crazy challenge... and somehow managed to do it.

And yes they are! Both of the WADs I did the previous years have been released: UnAligned (for Doom) and UnNecessary (for Doom II). This year I'll be mapping for Heretic, which I've never done before.

fffuuuuuuuuck I'd love to try this out, but at the same time I've been working on another project which I plan to focus on for all of November, haha. Maybe I can still fit something in? It's highly unlikely though, and if I do I'm not sure I'd manage 32 maps.

I half assed a megawad in half a month once, maybe it can be done for a Scythe style mapset.

I've edited the OP just a little, in response to some concerns I was hearing. Specifically, I added this paragraph:

"Okay, so what if you don't make it to 32 (or 27) maps by the deadline? What if you've only got 25? Or 12? Well, then you've got 25 or 12 maps you didn't have at the beginning of November! You've got something to build off of at your leisure. Maybe you came up with some cool concept you can turn into an even cooler concept. The deadline is only there to get your mapping juices flowing, so if you get anything done, pat yourself on the back! You did it!"

I definitely don't want to stress people out or have you working through the nights for the whole month. There's no failure in NaNoWADMo.

6 minutes ago, Gothic said:

I half assed a megawad in half a month once, maybe it can be done for a Scythe style mapset.

That's what I usually end up making, pretty concept-y maps that can be played in five minutes or less.

6 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

You're tempting me, you're severely tempting me.

I was hoping I might!

Challenge accepted.

I guess there's no problem if I use a dehacked file to modify the original weapons.

16 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

Challenge accepted.

I guess there's no problem if I use a dehacked file to modify the original weapons.

No problem at all. The sky's the limit!

It's a crazy idea, but it's also tempting.

I need to give this some thought.

1 hour ago, Ryath said:

I've edited the OP just a little, in response to some concerns I was hearing. Specifically, I added this paragraph:

"Okay, so what if you don't make it to 32 (or 27) maps by the deadline? What if you've only got 25? Or 12? Well, then you've got 25 or 12 maps you didn't have at the beginning of November! You've got something to build off of at your leisure. Maybe you came up with some cool concept you can turn into an even cooler concept. The deadline is only there to get your mapping juices flowing, so if you get anything done, pat yourself on the back! You did it!"

Awesome, I'll see what I can do then! I've got some ideas for speedmaps, maybe I'll try something a little more reserved like one little map every two days :P

Damn, 32 maps in a month, that's slightly more than 1 a day XD

I kinda have a trivial idea, i think i may give it a shot.

Sign me up! I've never completed a megawad, so being under a semi-strict time limit might push me to actually make something.

This is a tempting idea. Even more so since you relaxed the "full megawad" requirement.

(By the way, I remember seeing a thread discussing how many maps did you have to have before your mapset was a megawad. I remember there being no clear consensus.)

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm interested. Count me in.

Oh, cool contes... wait.

A megawad??? My laptop already takes a month to open GzDoom Builder, how the hell does one do 32 maps in a month? 

Ill be interested in this, with work and everything else there is no way I could do it in a month so I might even get a head start and hope to get 32 maps in before the deadline. If that is okay anyway.

It will be fun to play everyones maps too and see what people have been able to pull off.

Why not show us how it's done then, eh? You like making small maps, I bet you could whip some cool stuff up!

I've tried and failed various speed map megaWAD attempts. I've also spent the last few hours thinking of all of the reasons why this won't work for me. My weekends are rarely free; I have a full-time job (albeit one where I often work from home doing very little); I've got shit-tons of games to play; I've got shit-tons of unfinished Doom projects already.

Of course, I want to succeed. Sign me up.

9 hours ago, Ryath said:

No problem at all. The sky's the limit!

Oh no we can't change the sky textures :'(

Might try this but i barely could this for 5 days when i made PMAD...

Whoa! Woke up to way more interest in this thread than I was expecting. Welcome aboard, everybody! I've added everyone who seemed interested to the OP.

6 hours ago, CanSteam said:

I think I'll try this out! I think a Discord server could make this better, however

I'll get one set up today.