Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2018

I have already wrote my status on my work on discord, however I working on a Doom mapset (27 levels):

Episode 1 have 7 out of 9 maps completed, episode 2 have 4 maps completed, 4 layouts only and 1 to do.

Episode 3 have 4 maps done, 1 is a unfinished layout and 4 more to do...

So I have to do 7 maps from scratch in 7 days, and 5 to finish them from their rough layout form (1 just needs to have thing placement, actually)...

I hope to give you at least a playable WIP mapset with all the maps...

@meapineapple looks pretty cool! I have the same idea for a episode 3 map (one of the latter in the set) in the style of slough of despair style...

5 hours ago, Ryath said:

Just a week left! How's everyone doing?

This week has been an absolute wasteland creatively for reasons but, yeah, still a week left, I figure if I can finish up a map after my tabletop game today that leaves me with five done and six days left for the remaining four, which... would be a quicker pace than I've reached at any point this month, but as you say, there's a lot you can do in a week!  We shall see.

Map #27 isn't a lot to look at, but I don't want to spend too much more time detailing and I think the gameplay turned out alright

map27%20automap.png?raw=1

Edited by meapineapple

12 hours ago, AD_79 said:

New goal: get one map finished

I'm right there with you.

Six weeks ago, my goal was 11 maps. Then four weeks ago, my goal was 6 maps. As of a week or two ago, my goal was 2 maps. And now, here we are.

12 hours ago, Ryath said:

Just a week left! How's everyone doing?

I think my preceding response pretty much sums up my status. Not upset by my resemblance to a mapping sloth; it is what it is. Good times.

I'm at 3 maps and currently working on the fourth. My primary goal was six maps but I don't think I'm gonna reach that.

However I'm still going to keep working on the project beyond the November deadline, as NaNoWADMo sparked the mapping interest in me after 5 years of not making a proper map.

As per project rules, I'll post the RC of what I have finished by the end of the month, but that won't be the final version. ;)

So my wad ''Scattered Ashes'' has 10 maps in total, and I consider it completed. I had some ideas for 2 bonus maps, but I didn't feel like making them, so I'm just gonna move on, and focus on my bigger project. This one is gonna be released in a few days, once I do some final balancing etc.

It was a pretty enjoyable experience, and I'm glad to have implemented a couple of strange ideas that would be tough to do in a more serious wad. Certainly a valuable experience ;D

Token E1M1 map looks and feels like a token E1M1 map, and I'm not convinced it makes a good first impression of the WAD or establishes the right set of expectations, but it's something that's done, after about five failed or fumbled iterations, for better or for worse, bringing my total map count to five.

45309505634_7334516f39_o.png

Edited by TheOrganGrinder

15 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

So my wad ''Scattered Ashes'' has 10 maps in total, and I consider it completed. I had some ideas for 2 bonus maps, but I didn't feel like making them, so I'm just gonna move on, and focus on my bigger project. This one is gonna be released in a few days, once I do some final balancing etc.

It was a pretty enjoyable experience, and I'm glad to have implemented a couple of strange ideas that would be tough to do in a more serious wad. Certainly a valuable experience ;D

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME THEM THICC LORENZO WADS

Finished a first version of E1M9 and started something for E2M7 yesterday, this leads me to do 5 maps from scratch and 6 to complete... In 5 days, more than less. Oh boy, i hope to do it in time lol.

Map #29: oh dear god I really should not be allowed anywhere near the 263 WR Teleport to Line With Same Tag (silent, reversed angle) linedef special

map29%20screenshot%201.png?raw=1

map29%20automap.png?raw=1

Yesterday I spent some time finding MIDIs for most of the maps I made so far. I'd like to try to still fit in all those little polish tasks like putting in custom music and title/intermission/etc. screens before the end of the month, though mainly my goal has just been to finish the 32 maps so I'm not going to sweat it if I'm spending a few days of December wrapping up the smaller details.

Map #30 is intended as a sort of transitional and atmospheric map, and has only a few enemies. Only two more maps to go, now!

map30%20automap.png?raw=1

I don't make maps with ultra high lighting contrast very often, but when I do they're map #32!

32 maps in 26 days, wow! I wasn't sure if I could do it. Keep an eye out for a release forum post in the next day or two...

map32%20automap.png?raw=1

map32%20screenshot%201.png?raw=1

Fantastic!

Still working on mine mapset, made a alpha E1M7 today, now misses only 3 maps on episode 3 to finish!

Spoilered dump of maps:

Spoiler

dde3_edit_area_at_2018.11.20_23-42-50.72

dde3_edit_area_at_2018.11.20_23-55-19.56

E3M2

dde2_edit_area_at_2018.11.22_01-26-14.69

E2M4

dde3_edit_area_at_2018.11.23_01-28-42.29

E3M9

dde1_edit_area_at_2018.11.25_00-33-58.77

E1M9

dde3_edit_area_at_2018.11.26_00-39-08.82

E3M3

dde1_edit_area_at_2018.11.27_00-46-12.67

E1M7

Edited by Walter confetti

It's looking pretty dicey as to whether I'll have the opportunity to finish up another map (let alone the remaining four) by the end of this week; other things are clamouring for my attention and things that have been put off and pushed back really can't be any further.  I'd like to get E1M6 finished up by Friday, leaving M5, M7, and M9 to be added at a later date; until then, here's a feature-incomplete, half-finished alpha of Chicxulub Impact for people to peruse as they please:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcwavo7xwxi3xvn/cxim_a1.wad?dl=0

Dicey indeed.  I'm debating whether or not to count Dec 1 as "November 31st" so I can cheat another day out and still say I made it on time.  Or maybe I can use the Hawaii timezone rule for submissions

Map25:

GtdYl3x.jpg

Well I got about 20 maps done in the end. life caught up with me and I havent even looked at a computer screen for a week. Id like to have a UD wad out at the end of next month but I doubt that will happen.

Congrats to everyone who participated and got something out, no easy task by any stretch. 

3 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

@Crunchynut44I hope you find a way to (when and in what form you desire, of course) release what you have. Would still be sad to just see 20 maps go to waste. ;(

I certainly will at some point soon I really like what I have made so far and its fit to be played, but ideally I would like to release a whole wads worth. Ill do that at the completion of episode 3.

@Crunchynut44 That is all and well, I just was left a bit dazzled when all you mentioned was when you would likely NOT be releasing something as opposed to (also) affirming if you likely would at some point, regardless of if that be one or a few or several months down the road. Looking forward to it in 2019 hopefully! :D