Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryath

NaNoWADMo 2018 (vote on your preferred month next year!)

I've played only a few so far (no demos srry).  here's some quick thoughts:

@DanielAlexander : "comfy slaughter".  infinite ammo is actually kinda nice for such a thing; you don't have to focus on running out of ammo and can just kinda shlong about at your own pace.  Not too hard either.

@Scypek2 : I like the exploration style. I don't see this style very often.  On map 1 (even on UV) I still ached for more clip ammo though, unless I missed something blaring.  Even for ammo-starved maps, this felt too starvy.  My first go at map2 also missed the chainsaw, so my impression was the same, heh.  still cool though.  Map03 felt more like a "normal" doom map in terms of ammo and health but felt didn't feel the same exploration/puzzle thing I felt from the first map.

@meapineapple : I played only Map01 so far; died at the end and lost my spirits for now (I'm just salty).  it was tight on health/armor and was done in by hitscanners (UV), not a bad thing mind you.  I really ought to give this a good proper go-through though to honor your success at a making the full 32 maps. Congrats.

@franckFRAG : i love doom 2.  tickle my nostalgia nerve and get an automatic A+ :)

@NoisyVelvet : the first 14 maps need less shells, more clips.  Some bugs that need scrubbing out.  Not a perfect wad, but not shabby; could use feedback.

44 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@NoisyVelvet : the first 14 maps need less shells, more clips.  Some bugs that need scrubbing out.  Not a perfect wad, but not shabby; could use feedback.

Gettin' there! I've made it through elmle's maps and half of Walter's. You're up after @Terminus! (I'll be sending feedback/demos via PM.)

9 hours ago, Ryath said:

Gettin' there! I've made it through elmle's maps and half of Walter's. You're up after @Terminus! (I'll be sending feedback/demos via PM.)

I don't recall posting a beta, other than that one map I finished early on. Feedback on that map would still be greatly appreciated :)

On 11/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, NoisyVelvet said:

NoisyDiarrhea_uncompiled.zip (vanilla compatible; light playtesting in chocolate and prboom+)

uv fda continuous, keyboard only + a dog laying on top of me (this should be an official category). amusing collection of small-scale ideas/gimmicks. 13 and 18 were standouts in the set for seeming the most complete/polished, 30 was also cool.

- didn't figure out the exit on map09 or map15

- I don't have sr50 bound for keyboard controls, so I skipped map21

- would've played 31 longer if the floor was -20 instead of -5 -.-

diarrhea.zip

17 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

uv fda continuous, keyboard only + a dog laying on top of me (this should be an official category). amusing collection of small-scale ideas/gimmicks. 13 and 18 were standouts in the set for seeming the most complete/polished, 30 was also cool.

awesome! will watch.

also, the feedback helps a lot.

- didn't figure out the exit on map09 or map15

Map09's exit was bugged at first due to blockmap or hitbox height or something, so i moved it around a bit and now you can only see it from a particular angle if you stare carefully... and also have max gamma.   'gotta change this one for sure.

Map15's is a hard one get to unless you explore in a particular spot and also have audio on... I might consider changing this one now that I think about it.

- I don't have sr50 bound for keyboard controls, so I skipped map21

Fair enough, though the intended method is to bob-sled down the stairs head-on like a lunatic, and to hit the jumps at a precise angle.  WASD keys only; no sr50 or sr40-with-turns needed.

- would've played 31 longer if the floor was -20 instead of -5 -.-

hah. I actually started with 20, then said, "nah people will hate me", and instead added a couple sparsely located teleporters that go back to start of level.  I think I'll make a concession and add more teleporters but up the damage.

Whoops! Just dawned on me you have mine listed as Arctic Wolf and not Sea Wolf. I hope casual browsers don't think I'm taking credit for Arctic Wolf.

I'm also enjoying Voltcom's Wolf3D 2 thingy, mostly because of the hilarious flying blood squibs.

Edited by Impie

So before this thread's completely forgotten, I want to throw the question out there about what month we should hold the next NaNoWADMo. I've always done it in November but I think I'd rather do it somewhere earlier and less-hectic-with-holidays-and-stuff, so if there's a consensus for some other month I'd gladly make the move there. Maybe the best way is for everyone who wants to participate next year to post with three or so months that would work best for them (and if there's a month that you absolutely can't do, mention that too).

On 12/5/2018 at 8:19 AM, Terminus said:

I don't recall posting a beta, other than that one map I finished early on. Feedback on that map would still be greatly appreciated :)

Oh, silly me. For some reason I thought your last post had a WAD in it. If you'd like anything playtested, just post a link to it if you don't mind!

July and August work best for me, worst are May and February.

For me every month is OK, I almost have quite a lot of free time. Expect August since I have my holidays.

Obviously worst month could be May for, you know, mayhem project is on the road. But for the other months i'm pretty open to any.

Anyway, I have to see what happens next year, who knows what happens?

Edited by Walter confetti

The worst month for me would be November. December, March, October, and February are also bad, but might be doable, depending on what's going on.

I also agree with staying away from May, since there's already Mayhem that month.

The best three months for me would probably be April, July, and September.

Well, one argument against November is that everything is already scheduled for November. It may be hard to make a megawad while you're busy writing a novel and undertaking a dozen of different abstinence challenges at the same time.