Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antnee

Beta 64 - A 31 level megawad for Doom64 EX!

This looks fantastic! Definitely want to check this out. One question though: Is good old GzDoom enough and which IWAD?

GZDoom will not work.  This only works with Doom64 EX.  You'll need a copy of the ROM to build a working Doom64 IWAD, which I will not link.  It's easy enough to find.

Simple instructions on how to do that:

* Once you have your ROM, place it in the same directory as the Doom64.exe

* Run Wadgen.exe

* Done

4 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

this added on with the new doom 64 community chest will give people enough to play for there craving for doom 64 ex content

I hope so!  I think it's a massively underappreciated port.  Now if only we could poke Kaiser hard enough to add DECORATE...

Nice, very nice. I will play this for sure once I get the opportunity. I look forward to some fresh Doom 64 maps.

I may even be interested in porting this to my GZDoom TC at some point if you are alright with that. I know you may want to keep it preserved as it should be in EX and that's ok if so. I am just trying to find as much Doom 64 content as possible to add in as new level sets in my own TC. You would be fully credited of course, and you'd even get your name and map name to fade in at the beginning of every map!

Even if I were to, it would be a long ways off (possibly even a year or two). I have lots of other things in the list to do first, so don't worry.

I'd like to port it to GZDoom myself once we get some sort of accurate way to do it- which it looks like there's a few efforts in the pipeline.  If you want to do that, you're more than welcome.

Really the only thing that kept me in EX was the accuracy (ESPECIALLY the lighting.  Doing the same thing in GZDoom is really fucking painful at the moment), and the ease of the macro system.  If I had all that in GZDoom, and the ability to mod with decorate?  I'd do it in a second. 

Edit:  You're not talking about the GEC thing are you?  Are you involved with that?

Ohmigosh, that's amazing! I was wondering when D64EX was going to serve a greater purpose! You wouldn't mind me including this on PortaDOOM? I want to expand the PSX DOOM package to include DOOM 64 stuff as well so people can download and play these games with no fuss (other than locating a ROM).

4 minutes ago, Kroc said:

Ohmigosh, that's amazing! I was wondering when D64EX was going to serve a greater purpose! You wouldn't mind me including this on PortaDOOM? I want to expand the PSX DOOM package to include DOOM 64 stuff as well so people can download and play these games with no fuss (other than locating a ROM).

Go for it.  Include credits obviously, and if there's a way to link back to this thread please do so- so that if any feedback is given, it's given here.  Knowumsayin?

That's standard practice for PortaDOOM (you should check it out). It would help if you could create a standard idgames-format txt file for credits, as that's how a) the majority of WADs document themselves and b) it cuts down on my workload because I've got a concise document with WAD info and credits and I don't have to hunt down all this information myself.

Can't get this to run. Have performed the wadgen process with the Doom64 ROM, and an iwad has been generated. Have placed your Beta wad in the Doom64 Ex folder, but running the application simply plays original Doom64. Have also tried dragging the Beta wad onto the executable, as you would with ZDoom or whatever, and I get 'iwad not found'.

D64.png

Ah- so to get this to run you need to run the Launcher.exe, then add this to the "other parameters" at the bottom:

-file beta64.wad

image.png.78ab7df2934e1f66f3e18f2d777863ed.png

...added this to the OP.

1 hour ago, Antnee said:

Edit:  You're not talking about the GEC thing are you?  Are you involved with that?

No I am not part of that project. I was referring to Doom 64 Retribution, my own TC to GZDoom.

21 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Ah, good stuff, thanks for that - working fine now!

Dragging it onto DOOM64.EXE should work fine though. Are you dragging it onto Launcher.exe instead? I never use the launcher.

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Dragging it onto DOOM64.EXE should work fine though. Are you dragging it onto Launcher.exe instead? I never use the launcher.

Well I'll be damned, that works too.

13 minutes ago, Nevander said:

No, tried several times to make sure, that method definitely not working with my setup.

D64(3).png.2f4ce8e0ef41d5c2754589928d9c93bc.png

@Antnee

Check out Nevander's Retribution total conversion of D64 for GZDoom, it's pretty cool!

1 hour ago, VGA said:

@Antnee

Check out Nevander's Retribution total conversion of D64 for GZDoom, it's pretty cool!

Neat!  Grabbin it now.

I started this add-on.

Please tell me - on which maps to search for access to "secret" levels? And how many "secret" maps will there be? The description does not contain this information.

3 minutes ago, 86232and said:

I started the add-on.

Please tell me - on which maps to search for access to "secret" levels? And how many "secret" maps will there be? The description does not contain this information.

Spoiler

3, 12, and 22

Passed the first episode (1-8 level plus "secret" map). Very good quality work. I liked the clever arrangement of enemies - there is not a big crowd of monsters in a small room. A very interesting effect of slowly lowering the gloom on the walls, when the button is turned on or the key is taken, an alarming expectation of trouble appears. It reminded me of the movie “Hellraiser” Barker`s - and there slowly darkness came after every move of the puzzle.

I wandered for a long time on the 3 map - I could not find the blue key and the exit to the secret.

Requirements: Jumping is not allowed...

On the secret map "Dark Sekrets" had to jump to take the artifact:

821791347_Doom64map32DarkSekrets.jpg.e234427f1dd91c1bb1beda527f5dc79d.jpg

Addon captures - but I stretch the pleasure (like a glass of good wine).

Edited by 86232and

9 minutes ago, VGA said:

Why did you call it Beta 64?

*shrug*

I'm not great with names.  It has the same amount of characters.  "D64 The Way Mid Did" doesn't roll off the tongue, and I think Super Antnee 64 probably is a little arrogant.

1 hour ago, 86232and said:

Passed the first episode (1-8 level plus "secret" map). Very good quality work. I liked the clever arrangement of enemies - there is not a big crowd of monsters in a small room. A very interesting effect of slowly lowering the gloom on the walls, when the button is turned on or the key is taken, an alarming expectation of trouble appears. It reminded me of the movie “Hellraiser” Barker`s - and there slowly darkness came after every move of the puzzle.

I wandered for a long time on the 3 map - I could not find the blue key and the exit to the secret.

On the secret map "Dark Sekrets" had to jump to take the artifact:

821791347_Doom64map32DarkSekrets.jpg.e234427f1dd91c1bb1beda527f5dc79d.jpg

Addon captures - but I stretch the pleasure (like a glass of good wine).

Thanks, I think you'll like the hellish stuff better.

RE:  that artifact- I super duper promise jumping is not required (in fact I don't have that key mapped at all, I've never used it.)

14 minutes ago, Antnee said:

*shrug*

I'm not great with names.  It has the same amount of characters.  "D64 The Way Mid Did" doesn't roll off the tongue, and I think Super Antnee 64 probably is a little arrogant.

Rename it to Blight 64

8 hours ago, Antnee said:

RE:  that artifact- I super duper promise jumping is not required (in fact I don't have that key mapped at all, I've never used it.)

Heh, artifact should not have taken? Weapons the Unmaker is not used in the addon?