Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antnee

Beta 64 - A 31 level megawad for Doom64 EX!

I did have a major issue with the lack of armour provision in the last three levels.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but are you specifically talking about 12-15?

Only found one possible bug, which you may or may not be aware of by now: in map 13, just after the player picks up the yellow key, the Hell Knight who appears in the doorway seems rooted to the spot. He doesn't retaliate when shot, and can only be provoked to react at all if the player actually tries to walk past him. In addition, his remains when dead form a solid clump which cannot be walked through.

No, that's the first I've heard of that!  I'll check it out.  (Edit, what difficulty are you playing?)  Thanks for the feedback!

To clarify, with regard to the armour issue, I was referring specifically to maps 13-15. I don't recall 9-12 being too bad in this respect.

I'm playing on the 'I Own Doom' setting, which I take to be the equivalent of HMP in regular Doom.

Gotcha.  I think I figured it out, I moved him too close to the door when I was fiddling with something.  I tested it after moving him back, and it works.

I'll address the armor issue sometime soon, I just want to make sure I get it "right" and don't just slap an armor here and there. 

Edit:  Screw it, I think I found a nice way to do level 13's armor.  Updated.

Edited by Antnee

I uploaded a new copy with some bugfixes, namely there were a couple enemies in map1 and 2 that were not spawning due to being too close to a corner.  You should be able to 100% them now (I was able to)

Added armor to level 15, and changed the armor in 13 to be more easily accessible (and earlier, too)

I've returned to this wad for a few days, and have been playing maps 16-24. Continues the good impression left earlier, with solid gameplay, impressive and atmospheric visuals, and well judged progression. Map 24 looked and played very much like a final level, but it seems there's more to come, and I'm certainly not complaining about that....

There was one potentially major issue with map 24 though. First time I played it through, it proceeded smoothly from the first 'mayhem in the arena' phase to the finale, when the Mother Demon appears. Second time I tried, the Mother Demon phase was very reluctant to generate. In the video below, I've saved near the end of the 'mayhem', with only a Baron and three HKs apparently left, but when they're gone, the game stalls. It turned out that it's due to a Cacodemon, who gets stuck either inside or on top of the central structure which houses the MD. I played the sequence from that save about 20 times, and only got the Caco to appear twice. Sorry for the messy presentation by the way, I'm not very good at using OBS Screen Recorder, and the only way I can get it to record this wad is to capture the whole screen with the game running in a window.

Played the map through for a third time, and all was fine again, so I can't be sure about how big an issue this is or how often it's likely to occur.

Edited by Summer Deep

Sure- but you realize that damn near all the levels will be broken if players aren't side by side at almost all times, right?  I put absolutely no thought at all into multiplayer for these levels. 

Thanks! I'm always up for a challenge ;). the macros seem functionally similar to ACS, and i'll do runthroughs of the maps to see where coop teles / barricade openers are necessary.

Made it through the first three levels and I really like what I have played so far! I recorded all 3 levels, but only the third survived. 

I finally got around to playing Beta 64 and it is awesome. Here is my review. I would love to see the final map, "Sorrow", complete, but I'd be even more happy to experience the "Second Death" and tackle the satellite UAC facilities. Thank you for taking the time to craft a Doom 64-plus megaWAD.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:57 PM, kmxexii said:

I finally got around to playing Beta 64 and it is awesome. Here is my review. I would love to see the final map, "Sorrow", complete, but I'd be even more happy to experience the "Second Death" and tackle the satellite UAC facilities. Thank you for taking the time to craft a Doom 64-plus megaWAD.

Heh, real life bit me in the ass in a bad way and I have been gone for some time.

I read through your review- truly thanks for that.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!

The itch to make maps again is slowly stirring, but there's an effort to port this to the TC project so I will most likely wait for that.  Because my vision entailed some customish monsters (as well as separate ammo for the Unmaker), and 64ex is not capable of that.

Edited by Antnee

3 hours ago, Antnee said:

Heh, real life bit me in the ass in a bad way and I have been gone for some time.

I read through your review- truly thanks for that.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!!!

The itch to make maps again is slowly stirring, but there's an effort to port this to the TC project so I will most likely wait for that.  Because my vision entailed some customish monsters (as well as separate ammo for the Unmaker), and 64ex is not capable of that.

Oh yes, that will be possible now! I made a mod where I switched the ammo (also the behavior) of the unmaker as well.

good afternoon antnee hope all is well. first i want to thank you for creating this megawad. as a big fan of doom 64, in my honest opinion, this is the doom 64 absolution sequel that was teased way back in '97 by midway for the n64dd that never came to fruition. the level design is some of the best ive seen in any doom game. and i really like how you added some cool twists to some of the levels. just out of curiosity, would you be willing to give permission to the guys who are currently working on the doom CE mods via the GZdoom engine? so far, theyve recreated the absolution tc, redemption denied, the reckoning, the outcast levels, and the fun levels. the best part is its an all in one download via episodes. it would be so cool for yourself, styd051, sergeant mark iv, and others to come together and really take these games to the next level with all your different ideas/contributions. excellent job bro and god bless!

21 hours ago, sbw37 said:

just out of curiosity, would you be willing to give permission to the guys who are currently working on the doom CE mods via the GZdoom engine?

Lets just say you might be happy in the near future ;) ;)

total awesomeness! all you guys have done incredible work on these mods no lie. im not even kidding when i say yall should be getting paid for your efforts. ill be paying close attention  anticipating its addition. god bless you guys!

On 20/07/2021 at 16:11, Immorpher said:

Lets just say you might be happy in the near future ;) ;)

this means that Molecicco is working on it to make it compatible for PSX DOOM CE maybe ?! I really can't wait to see it !

@sbw37 I am taking a break from modding of doom 64 for the moment, because at the moment I want to make mods for PSX DOOM, but don't worry one day I will resume doom 64 modding, for example the next update Brutal doom 64 TC REMAKE, and this beta64 campaign I plan to add it in future TC REMAKE updates.

maybe someday i will make my own megawad for PSX DOOM or DOOM64 someday !

Edited by styd051

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I am going to assume it is not compatible with the official Doom 64 re-release?

Your assumption is correct.

4 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Your assumption is correct.

Bummer. It feels weird to have to acquire a Nintendo 64 ROM when the game is now legally available on PC.

Oh well. I am not familiar with Doom 64 CE, so I guess I will have to check it out when Beta 64 comes out for it.

Although personally, I would prefer a Doom 64 Retribution port, but I have not seen Nevander express an interest in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Bummer. It feels weird to have to acquire a Nintendo 64 ROM when the game is now legally available on PC.

Oh well. I am not familiar with Doom 64 CE, so I guess I will have to check it out when Beta 64 comes out for it.

Although personally, I would prefer a Doom 64 Retribution port, but I have not seen Nevander express an interest in that regard.

CE is based upon Retribution, so you're in luck there!

And indeed finding a ROM is a bit weird for sure, but I hear this can take the Steam WAD and make it for EX: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1148590/discussions/0/1870623253804069634/

11 hours ago, styd051 said:

for those who are interested BETA64 and now available on DOOM 64 CE ! you can download it here https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce/addons/beta64-for-doom-64-knee-deep-in-the-dead

congratulations on the release Molecicco and Immorphe a big thank you to you !

yes thank you all very much for completing it. im having a blast playing it so far. early happy birthday/merry christmas to me hahaha. keep up the good work guys!

Hello everyone,

New member here.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this WAD so far but I was wondering if the mod author has a list of the secrets available?

I'm really struggling to find them and as of right now, I'm on level 7 (Sector R), and cannot find even one of the four secrets.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

Edit: I've just found one of them (well, it counts for 2/4 for some reason). I opened up the map in Slade and saw the location of it. I'm not sure about the other one (I presume it's one), though.

Edited by SpellCaster383

I have started playing this with Doom CE. It is pretty good so far, but I have noticed an issue: for some reason, in MAP01 and MAP02, at least, the secrets count as double. For example, the in-game level stats tell me that MAP01 has six secrets and MAP02 two, even though they actually feature half the number. However, I am not sure if it is an issue with the original mapset or if it was introduced with Doom CE.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I have started playing this with Doom CE. It is pretty good so far, but I have noticed an issue: for some reason, in MAP01 and MAP02, at least, the secrets count as double. For example, the in-game level stats tell me that MAP01 has six secrets and MAP02 two, even though they actually feature half the number. However, I am not sure if it is an issue with the original mapset or if it was introduced with Doom CE.

@molecicco I didn't notice this, perhaps an easy fix for the CE version?

Hmmm, looking at @SpellCaster383's comment, I seem to not be the only one experiencing the issue.

Weirdly enough, I loaded up The Absolution's MAP01 real quick and secrets registered as normal.

That's just how it is in the original, there's also a few unobtainable secrets (notably some gibs marked as secrets in map05/refinery) that I've been slowly patching out. I read somewhere that this started out as a mapset for the Absolution TC (Doomsday), so I wonder if this unusual behavior is because of that.

For reference, Doomwiki has a page for the original mapset, and it lists the same secrets: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Beta_64

EDIT: It's not that they count double, but rather items marked as secrets inside sectors already marked as secrets, so you get a bunch clumped together