Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Doom Nightmare fuel

What are some things a mapper can do that make you wake up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat? I am talking about semi-fair scenarios, not teleporting you inside a closet with a Cyber.

One idea I had was (after the player has mostly cleaned a map and gotten an important key) using the ghost bug to resurrent 3-4 ghost Pain Elementals and teleporting them and the Archviles around the map.

When I played Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time, I literally got nightmares about the cyberdemon from Against Thee Wickedly. I wish I could explain why it was so terrifying to me, but I think it might be releasing a big monster when you've been through a hell of a map already.

Oh, I was thinking more about nightmarish gameplay scenarios, like having to defeat a Cyberdemon without the BFG while there are 4 Chaingunners in high sniper nests constantly being revived by hidden Archviles, so you have to use the Cyber as a meatshield. And of course, you are locked in the arena until the Cyber dies and triggers the exit door, allowing you to go up stairs and take care of the Archies and the Chaingunners.

Or after a mandatory death exit you pistol start the next map, starting in an elevator which goes up and takes a couple of minutes to get to the top. Ahem ... and there is 1 Revenant (or 2 Spectres) also riding the elevator. Bonus points if map music is "Sweet Little Dead Bunny" or some literal elevator music.

if this wasn't a joke thread, i would have probably said that unloved is pretty good nightmare fuel

and good in general

play unloved

Whether you meant this thread as a joke or not:

1 hour ago, VGA said:

having to defeat a Cyberdemon without the BFG while there are 4 Chaingunners in high sniper nests constantly being revived by hidden Archviles, so you have to use the Cyber as a meatshield. And of course, you are locked in the arena until the Cyber dies and triggers the exit door, allowing you to go up stairs and take care of the Archies and the Chaingunners.

I can envision mappers reading that and cackling as they decide to try it in their next map.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Or after a mandatory death exit you pistol start the next map, starting in an elevator which goes up and takes a couple of minutes to get to the top. Ahem ... and there is 1 Revenant (or 2 Spectres) also riding the elevator. Bonus points if map music is "Sweet Little Dead Bunny" or some literal elevator music.

I remember seeing a comment on a thread about how with proper maneuvering, a revenant could be made essentially harmless, since they will always try their melee attack if you're within a certain distance and if you move fluidly enough, you can land hits on them while avoiding their punches. So, in that context, 1 revenant in this elevator would probably be less dangerous than 2 spectres (I'm assuming the elevator is dim) to a player of that skill level.

Of course a skilled player can defeat 1-on-1 a Revenant with punches with hardcore baiting him to punch, same with Demons/Spectres, you have to bounce around them to stop them from boxing you in. Also, ghost-bug-resurrected Pain Elementals can be damaged with splash damage from rockets etc.

Infinitely resurrecting Chaingunners from hidden Archviles are seen in a few Plutonia maps. I don't think this is a joke thread but if you're laughing, fine by me :D

Another nightmarish scenario: Having to walk a thin walkway while Imps shoot fireballs at you from the sides, this means you have to keep moving. Also, the imps are infinitely Achie-resurrected, don't try to kill them. When you're 2/3 of the way in, 4 tiny closets with 4 Lost Souls are opened high up. When you reach the platform at the end, there is a key, yay! Now you have to walk back of course.

Dark rooms with flickering lights and you never know which wall and when will open, where monster will be teleported. Behind walls are waiting chaingunners, shotgunners, pain elementals, revenants, arch villes and etc. Sometimes ceiling opens by droping in monster you really don't want to see that moment. Doom 3 overdid with darkness, but it can be used in right way. Scary is when you don't know what to expect and is tricky to see IMO.

What are some things a mapper can do that make you wake up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat? I am talking about semi-fair scenarios, not teleporting you inside a closet with a Cyber.

Chaingunners. 

How about Chaingunners behind non-solid walls?

How about an Archvile behind a non-solid wall, like in Plutonia's Cyberden? Ehehehe ....

2 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Is moving floor possible? And many barrels everywhere.

No, our hypothetical scary scenarios must be vanilla-compatible!

Hearing the ka-thunk ka-thunk ka-thunk of the cyberdemon walking around on it's boss level. That scared the crap out of me as a kid, knowing that it was moving around and not knowing when you would come across it.

Let's say about 6 chaingunners, 5 revenants and 2-5 archvilles behind them. If you blast them with rockets, they will be respawned as ghosts. There should be some doors to crush archville. Can you imagine ghost archville?

34 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Let's say about 6 chaingunners, 5 revenants and 2-5 archvilles behind them. If you blast them with rockets, they will be respawned as ghosts. There should be some doors to crush archville. Can you imagine ghost archville?

Archville doesn't have raise states. So the only way is with Dehacked.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

But it's still vanilla.

You can't have a ghost-bug resurrected Archvile in vanilla. Dehacked isn't vanilla.

1 hour ago, inicalsio2 said:

a single archvile

And no cover. 

Or 4 barons, a chaingun, and full ammo. 

One or few crushers. Archviles on high platforms around, close enough to resurrect ghosts. Chaingunners somewhere high too. Revenants, barons, demons etc. on the ground with you, cacos and pain elementals from air. Play without freelook and it will be nightmare.

When I think of nightmare fuel for Doom, I think of causing paranoia. Some things that can cause a lot of paranoia and make you uneasy and overly cautious for a while:

A cyberdemon or spider mastermind overlooking much of a map, and you without enough firepower to deal with it immediately.

Opening a door to find a couple of arch-viles...only to have them instantly teleport away from you to an unknown part of the map.

Random jump scare/instapop anything in an area you've been in a few times before.

A maze-like area with monster only teleport lines that send monsters to a nearby spot (similar to that baron map 29).

You're in a room and a bunch of cacodemons descend through an open skylight while you're distracted by some other enemies.

Pistol start of course, to reach plasmagun, rocket launcher, ssg, you must cross area guarded by many chaingunners from all sides and they are behind bars - no way to lure them and make infight. There should be some small walls to take cover, but not for long, because they get lower slowly when you stand near. When you reach serious guns area, one wall opens and there is archvile. Also Doom II level 10 have good idea - if you go to areas in wrong order or lure out all monsters, there is no way to beat level (UV). I cursed that level till i found out how to play it.

8 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Evilution-map30-start.png

It wasn't until I found out that if you look on the automap this maze is ALOT easier. I heard that in the original version it won't show you which of the platforms are death.