Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEBaratusII

The unused Blob enemy in DOOM II (Well, Sorta)

image.png.8b89e5a5246846f61246579581292c9b.png

Dubbed "The Blob", this monster concept would spawn off any wall, animate, and spawn a Lost Soul. Its spritesheet was retrieved from a backup image of one of id's NeXT development servers by an anonymous source. The spawning Lost Soul graphic would later be reused as the inside of the Pain Elemental's mouth in Doom II.

So I thought of myself what if you put that unused graphic into a texture and put a Pain Elemental behind it spawning Lost Souls with it. Yes the Impassable and Block Monsters flag was enabled on the linedef.

Here's the test map snapshot1955909147_blob(editarea)at2018_10.2106-15-23.543R2787.jpg.b6cfe8aba7812f101e9c6468d67b2c7a.jpg

Video of it in action :

15 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Oh my god, I've seen that enemy before and since I never saw it in any mod, I thought nobody cared about The Blob. I was proven wrong today.

6 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Forgot to mention, I looked at your channel and saw some of your other videos. You just earned a subscriber.

Thanks for subscribing! I also tested via Chocolate Doom btw, this happened.

GwZiFaw.png

Might as well release the test .WAD file for those interested. :)

blob.zip

In vanilla Doom, and therefore Chocolate Doom, midtextures on double-sided lines had to be made from a single patch.

Not bad, although it would be better to see a proper implementation of this so that it's coded & animated to be a real monster. Could that be possible?

4 hours ago, Triple_sSs said:

Could that be possible?

With dehacked, very. It would actually be pretty heckin easy too. Just have a static monster with the blob sprites a certain offset off the ground, and have it animate using the above animation upon seeing a player with or without a delay, then use the pain elemental's lost soul spawn action to spawn it. If it was a one-time only monster, simply have it fade out and either die or simply poof out of existence once it's done spawning.

edit: actually this wouldn't account for rotating sprites. sorry.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:52 PM, bonnie said:

With dehacked, very. It would actually be pretty heckin easy too. Just have a static monster with the blob sprites a certain offset off the ground, and have it animate using the above animation upon seeing a player with or without a delay, then use the pain elemental's lost soul spawn action to spawn it. If it was a one-time only monster, simply have it fade out and either die or simply poof out of existence once it's done spawning.

edit: actually this wouldn't account for rotating sprites. sorry.

You could possibly create an animated texture and have a hidden DEHACKED monster spawn at the same rate as the animation. Obviously vanilla doesn't support ANIMATED or ANIMDEFS lumps but for Boom derived ports it could work. However, I'm pretty sure animated textures continue to animate when the game is paused, so that would desync the animation. So I'd imagine the feature would have to be hardcoded to work completely properly, unless you're using a port with ACS capabilities.

Pardon the bump, but I just remembered this texture recently, and I still think it would be really cool to see a true implementation of this monster somehow. I wish I could try taking a crack at it myself, but unfortunately I know little to nothing about actual doom modding. :P

That being said, I was able to create an idea for what could possibly be a good spawn sound for this:
I took the Pain Elemental death sound, opened it in Goldwave, then reversed & shorted it. It sounds kind of like a Lost Soul is "manifesting" itself, which seems appropriate for this sprite.

dspedth2.zip