Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Franko

What plans are there for Doom's 25th Anniversary?

G'day my fellow Doomworld users,

I have no idea if someone has made a thread about this before, but there is an important question I have regarding a special event. So this December marks the 25th Anniversary of the release of Doom. What I want to know is what does both id Software and the entire Doom community have planned to celebrate this special event, if there is even anything going to take place? This is something that I would love to know so that I can be prepared to celebrate the anniversary of one of the most influential, historical, and revolutionary first person shooter game of all time and learn what both id and the community have in store.

On december 10th, you can expect to see the release of Eviternity and OTEX to the public, and of course the Cacowards highlighting the best mods of the year from the community. I don't know if id software is gonna do something to celebrate the anniversary, but it would be cool to have something more significant than just a twitter picture just saying 'Happy birthday doom!' considering the date. Maybe we could see something from Romero (or from any of the old id crew) that date, who knows!

i am gonna launch my next version of my wad of monsters

and a new replacer of monsters, kaiser x

Resurrected Nightmare is getting a big fat final demo release with all the projected features (codex, music, new hud, sprint system, lore, etc), atmosphere and two massively improved maps (that don't look like hot garbage).

As well John Romero is supposed to be doing a Keynote for Making Games on the 25 of October, a tad bit premature, but nevertheless. Not mention we'll probably hear more Doom Eternal news, and Tom Hall's apparently making a map or so for the 25th anniversary.

It wouldn't be too far off if iD, or Machine Games were, or are deciding to make an Episode 6 for Doom (or an episode for Doom 2) either

I think Linguica wrote bit back on one thread here that he have something in plan for december 10th. But i'm not sure if memory serving me well.

Well, I actually planned to open a beer and play The Ultimate Doom - again - in its entirety. Might have to send the wife to a massage and lock the cats into the guest room for an undisturbed experience. 

I'm hoping to make a compatibility patch that lets you play Alando1's Doom Tribute Project with Kinsie's MetaDoom, because that just sounded like a perfect combination for such an occasion. I'm done with the weapon spawners and just need to figure out the best way to handle monster replacements now.

I intend to play it blindfolded... or Tyson. Probably Tyson.

1 hour ago, Thedoctor989 said:

might make a doom 64 ex version of the first episode of ultimate doom 

I'd like that!

9 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

Tom Hall's apparently making a map or so for the 25th anniversary.

Im genuinely curious, where did Tom mentioned that he would do a map?, i would love to finally see a complete map from the man himself

Release the top secret Doom mod related to 25th Anniversary...oh wait, that's not more top secret. Ok, just a secret mod.

New levels from Romero, The Castle, Squibbons (NRFTL) would be the best present. They are my heroes as long as leveldesign goes.

Playing a shitload of Oblige stuff myself and uploading a shitload of videos to my YouTube channel. Perhaps I'll get a 25th anniversary thumbnail propped to show it's that day as well.

Maybe try and finish the Eternal.wad, it sounds fitting with the Doom Eternal news, that maybe come that day.

Here's my suggestion. I say this as someone who doesn't really care much about Doom multiplayer, but will play it once in a blue moon. Let's organise a really, really big deathmatch lobby to commemorate the anniversary of Doom together. 

On 10/21/2018 at 10:19 PM, DMPhobos said:

Maybe we could see something from Romero (or from any of the old id crew) that date, who knows!

Maybe someone should contact John and ask?