Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Medkits Should Go Back To a Red Cross

There was a topic on here about getting rid of the red cross on health items in FreeDoom because of the organization with the same name. Well to me that should not have happened. Does Red Cross really know about FreeDoom? The project started out with having red crosses, so it should not be edited out because as you know, some old first person shooters like the Ultimate Doom had red crosses in their health items, and when they got released on Steam, those items were left intact. I know about the BFG Editions of Doom 1 and 2 where the medkits changed, but i'm talking about the originals that were released separately mind you.

Strife Veteran Edition gets to keep its red crosses, so why should FreeDoom remove them?

Edited by The-Heretic-Assassin : Fixed sbooters to shooters and added, "some" to the first person shooters sentence.

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

Because hearts are cuter. They used hearts instead, right?

See, the Veteran Edition of Strife made me think that shooters today shouldn't need pill icons or something else on their medkits.

What's wrong with the current health pickups? They have an H for health, they are easily recognizable and they do differentiate a bit from Doom. Don't think a red cross is really mandatory or that much of a problem really.

12 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

There was a topic...

Well, have you actually read it? You haven't said anything that hasn't already been addressed in that discussion.

12 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well to me that should not have happened.

Unfortunately, no one cares.

The Red Cross compliant change was mostly done out of good faith I think. Sure the original IWADs still have them, but the BFG editions complied.

3 hours ago, Memfis said:

Well, have you actually read it? You haven't said anything that hasn't already been addressed in that discussion.

Yes, I have read it. I'm just suggesting to change it back.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Freedoom variants looks decent to me.

97ReG.png

Awesome.

17 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Does Red Cross really know about FreeDoom?

Who even gives a shit? Well exept of naughty copyright injustice hookers.

So yeah, they know about every game pulled red cross into.

It was stated in the original discussion of the matter that this is not a question of "who cares" but that of international law (also, not related to copyright issues).

On 5/25/2011 at 12:39 PM, fraggle said:

It was never legal - it's not even a matter of trademarks (as chungy seems to think). The red cross is a protected emblem under the Geneva Convention. It's not because of the Red Cross organisation that it should be changed - it's because it's in breach of international law.

Not using the Red Cross symbol in video games has become standard practice nowadays and there is no need to knowingly break this rule with no apparent advantage to the project. Raymoohawk's health pickup sprites are excellent and do not need any edits IMO.

Please read the FAQ in the text file for geneva.wad to dispel any misconceptions you may have about this issue.

The original thread is here and I stand by the decision to remove them. It's a minor, inconsequential change that ensures Freedoom complies with international law and the requests of some of the Red Cross societies.

With that in mind, I don't want to re-open this whole can of worms again because I think it's likely to be a pointless discussion that wastes a lot of time and energy, so I'm closing the thread.