Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spram

Spram's Metroid Doom (released)

This looks great, I'm gonna try it once I have some time.

One question, though: why TNT IWAD? Especially since it looks like you're using custom textures and sprites.

26 minutes ago, Rathori said:

This looks great, I'm gonna try it once I have some time.

One question, though: why TNT IWAD? Especially since it looks like you're using custom textures and sprites.

TNT IWAD? That's the one I used. I didn't know you could run wads without an iwad... ?

What he wanted to say is that projects are usually based on doom.wad or doom2.wad since these iwads are much more common. Using any others (such as tnt.wad) means needless limitation of your player base.

Unless you want to make an addon utilizing the assets of one of the Final Doom iwads (like e.g. Plutonia II did which requires plutonia.wad), it's recommended to use doom2.wad.

Edited by NightFright

20 minutes ago, NightFright said:

What he wanted to say is that it's much more common to base projects on doom.wad or doom2.wad since these iwads are much more common. Using any other iwads means needless limitation of your player base.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I should probably have worded it better, though. Thanks for explaining it properly :)

Paging @MetroidJunkie.

@Spram

Welcome to Doomworld!

This looks nice. The TNT.wad is an unfortunate choice--perhaps you can fix it somehow. Nevertheless, good work.

Since the map apparently ends with Mother Brain, are you thinking of expanding on this to make other Metroid levels?

Ok, so I got a download working. It's in the first post and also here.

I tried using Doom2.wad as an iwad and it seems to work fine.

Pegleg: I think I'm burned out on Metroid levels for now. There's more than just Brinstar and Norfair in this map though.

Hey I just wanted to say, i've tried it and think it's really impressive, especially the map's layout.

When i first opened it i wasn't sure of the 16x16 tiles from Super Metroid being used as textures, but in the end they work fine, giving it a retro artstyle.

I like how huge the map is and generally does feel like a 3D rendition of Zebes (albeit a bit smaller scaled given how fast you travel through the areas).

Gameplay is fine, i was expecting it to be a bit more metroid like while it's more on the doom side for now. The monster sprites are good, especially those which have rotations.

Now here's my thoughts/suggestion on things to tweak, and things you could improve

Some rooms feel too crowded, and some enemies are tank-ish (the zoomer in the first area is a good example given how many zoomers are around), i'd balance things out a bit and make some rooms a bit bigger personally, especially in the Norfair area.

I'd personally take this a step further by coding some more metroid accurate mechanics kinda like in Metroid Dreadnought, it would really shine that way (Especially if you get a working morphball going instead of faking it with the default crouch). I'd also rework some enemies that acted more like vanilla doom's monsters, such as the security robot being a mancubus.

If you disable the weapon lower/weapon raise it will look like you're switching between beams, if you have the patience you could go a step further and even draw transition animations between one beam and another.

Also there's a small bug: I've noticed that some of the vegetation actors in crateria are solid and can actually block you and your shots.

Solid work, keep it up!

Looks promising. Just downloaded, will give this a spin later.

NEWS!

There is a Mod Database link to the files: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/sprams-metroid-doom

Voltcom9: Thanks.

MFG38: Thanks. Let me know if you like it or not.

General Rainbow Bacon: Thanks again.

Batandy: It's an honour! Thanks and I'll look into the solid plants. They were not created in decorate and are actually graphic changes of previous stuff, they work fine in my end, but I'll maybe make decorate versions of them to be sure. When? I don't know, I'm tired and lazy.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:35 AM, Spram said:

NEWS!

There is a Mod Database link to the files: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/sprams-metroid-doom

Voltcom9: Thanks.

MFG38: Thanks. Let me know if you like it or not.

General Rainbow Bacon: Thanks again.

Batandy: It's an honour! Thanks and I'll look into the solid plants. They were not created in decorate and are actually graphic changes of previous stuff, they work fine in my end, but I'll maybe make decorate versions of them to be sure. When? I don't know, I'm tired and lazy.

Yeah you should definitely make your own stuff in decorate instead of reskinning existing actors, not only for compatibility, but you could also do so much more that way