Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pan

NILUM wad - Doom Challenge - 100% my map for $100

Perhaps you should post a demo where you clearly showcase that you indeed 100%'d your map then people will start taking your contests more seriously, as it is now it's Blighted Moonbase all over again.

4 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Perhaps you should post a demo where you clearly showcase that you indeed 100%'d your map then people will start taking your contests more seriously, as it is now it's Blighted Moonbase all over again.

this is actually a fantastic idea. show a demo of you completing the map pan, that will help everyone, they'll know its completable 100%.

3 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Stop acting like you are making the best map in the world, then put yourself down by calling yourself a 'lowly doom mapper' heres a tip Pan.

Until you learn how to map properly

STOP OFFERING CASH PRIZES.

People do not appreciate you or your maps because of that crap. it feels like you're trying to pay people to play your map, and its not nessecary! Get your maps on a level where you can call them challenging by skill, not because you find it easy to intentionally make bugs in your map to make it unwinnable in the first 20 days. Its like you fill it with bugs so people will find them, so they cant finish it in the first release, until they just give up.

Pan, its time to take a step back, and take a look at how you can improve your mapping. i'd suggest you start looking up tutorials and start designing things small, theres no need to make massive maps. I feel you could be a fantastic mapper, but....this isnt the way.

Blighted Moonbase had none of these types of bugs and the issues were solely around frame rate. Nevertheless, the map was beaten and prizes were collected. 

Nilum's framerate is amazing for its size. I admit that there have been more bugs to iron out then I'd have liked, but there's a lot more complexity with this map. I've spent a lot of time on the design this time around. I feel this map is on par with maps that I would usually play for fun.

What's wrong with putting cash into the Doom Community? Money well spent I'd say ;)

AGAIN, STOP MAKING EXCUSES!! Seriously, from one mapper to another, I can tell you that 'copying textures' will never cause the bugs which have been listed here.

It's comical and all but it's grown tiresome. Stop making excuses, talk with facts, and do more to entice and reassure us.

"I'm a rookie mapper, sorry I made some mistakes, I don't know how they got there, but I believe I've fixed them all. To be sure, I tested it from start to finish to ensure that this is indeed possible according to the requirements I've listed in the OP."

I'm not in the crowd disputing your reasons for putting cash on the line; that's pretty cool if you ask me, but please save your players the frustration of finding out their time was wasted on your contest because you didn't test it.

I hope instead of responding with an excuse you let these words alter your mindset and push you in a better direction. Good luck etc etc

Pan, you have intentionally avoided the suggestions I gave you. Its obvious you dont want to learn to map better, you enjoy making this stuff, because you think people care about contests like this. People do not play doom for money. they play it for fun, because they're passionate. You attempting to do this, and your actions show that you have little care or respect for the doom community, and would much rather pay people to play your maps then put any meaningful effort into all the stages of one.

Just now, Dragonfly said:

AGAIN, STOP MAKING EXCUSES!! Seriously, from one mapper to another, I can tell you that 'copying textures' will never cause the bugs which have been listed here.

It's comical and all but it's grown tiresome. Stop making excuses, talk with facts, and do more to entice and reassure us.

"I'm a rookie mapper, sorry I made some mistakes, I don't know how they got there, but I believe I've fixed them all. To be sure, I tested it from start to finish to ensure that this is indeed possible according to the requirements I've listed in the OP."

I'm not in the crowd disputing your reasons for putting cash on the line; that's pretty cool if you ask me, but please save your players the frustration of finding out their time was wasted on your contest because you didn't test it.

I hope instead of responding with an excuse you let these words alter your mindset and push you in a better direction. Good luck etc etc

I totally agree with you. I don't like bugs either. At least they were found early, we appear to have them all ironed out now and we can get on with the competition.

19 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Well, I can at least confirm that all other items and monsters are reachable, so the map is "theoretically" beatable now. But you would have to be an inhumanly boring player to beat this I think, camping at every corner and refusing to do anything even remotely fun.

We have confirmation from a highly trusted and respected member of the community!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Let me tell you my experience.

- I opened the game.

- Encountered a LOT of errors before and after the startup.

- Chose UV

- Had little lag....ok...

- Saw a convoluted map with almost no consistence, especially in textures and layout.

- All the health in the map consists of health bonuses? Ok. -10 points.

- killed 24 monsters and then, platforming time.

- Slipped to water pit, which is damaging. -20 points for zero sense.

- I quit.

- Found the file and proceeded to Shift+Del the file.

Have a nice day with that. There are a ton of free maps to enjoy rather than this attempt of map. If you can't accept all the feedback that folks are giving to you instead of replying with excuses, then I pity you. Bye.

I tried to download your level but this link says the upload is still in progress.

2 hours ago, Pan said:

Okay so I've worked out how these bugs have appeared. After I played through and 100%'d my map, I did a final texturing marathon to add detail to the map, and a lot of copy-pasting of textures was occurring when detailing the rooms. A few bugs must have occurred during that process, but they all appeared ironed out now. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i19k4pa11424c4e/Nilum.wad

Happy hunting!

A new milestone in the development of Doom challenge from Pan :)

I'll play NILUM only in November anyway. Still having flashbacks from Moonbase.

The plot is a little reminiscent of the System Shock but I'm afraid that after Memfis last post I get the picture what's inside and feel a bit down.

How map bad should be to get paid 100$ for playing it? :) even DL link is screwed up... anyway, comments convinced me that i don't want to try it. I have played near impossible map which took my 2-3 hours on UV (no freelook or any other nonsense), but at least it was very beautiful and professional map, all pickups were in clever places. Try "The Eye" wad.

Just now, Memfis said:

For the reference, Pan has already paid 3 different people in the past.

Who are those people? I mean I know you are one, and I believe player177 is the other. Do you have proof of those? O.o

44 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Who are those people?

Memfis, Player177, and Ancalagon all confirmed they received payment. Easy to see if you just read the blighted moonbase thread

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Memfis, Player177, and Ancalagon all confirmed they received payment. Easy to see if you just read the blighted moonbase thread

Right-o! least we know its legit then.

So if nobody wins within 7 days Pan gets banned?

I'm afraid it might take longer to master this one...

Or does this rule not apply retroactively?

If no one beats this in a week I will close the thread and declare the offer null and void because while I'm not going to retroactively enforce the new rule, it is also not fair for threads to stick around just because their creator has money. Any future offers must be completely settled within a week though.

Never mind all the better causes to donate disposable money to, I would love to see this money go towards paying artists for some more professional-quality doom resources. There are tons of talented artists on doomworld that already produce professional results; why not send the money their way so they can produce more?

downloaded the map.... this is genuinely the work of a madman, this map is insane and i don't mean that in a good way at all, you have to be on crack to make a map like this. if you're gonna pay people to beat your maps at least make them fun to play, if anyone bothers to slog through this it will be solely for the money and even then im not sure $100 is a fair price for being punished to finish this mess. i'd rather sit down in a room and be forced to beat every map in ESP, pistol-starts without saves without rest for FREE than play this map for $100. take some advice from others in this thread and focus on actual good design and fun gameplay rather than deciding to trip on acid before making doom maps.

put money for playing doom ............

I like it and at the same time

I like it because I suffer some other economic problem and I'm interested in money
but I'm also not desperate for money and less for playing this watching the comments!

So....I went to sleep before the final link finished uploading to mediafire.

Here it is for anyone who missed it; http://www.mediafire.com/file/egdsy7t3hc19ux9/Nilum.wad/file

Anyway, seems my map has upset people so I won't promote this thread anymore until people get more positive about it. I think the map is great, but obviously I'm a little biased here....

Take care, doom world :)

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

So if nobody wins within 7 days Pan gets banned?

Imagine if everyone was very lazy until seven days from now...

18 minutes ago, Pan said:

Anyway, seems my map has upset people

I don't think that anyone is upset, most people is actually trying to help you. You just don't give any sign of actually listening, so what's the point of posting on a forum for feedback and discussion? If you continue to fight reality in this way, you really should get banned for your own good. Take some time off behemoth Doom mapping and rethink your life.

Edited by wintertowns

Your map wasn't all bad @Pan. I played through part of it, though I didn't have the gumption to finish it. Sorry so much hate fell on you. Some of it was definitely valid criticism, granted, but a lot of it was unconstructive and perhaps not warranted. Keep on making maps, though maybe consider making some shorter ones... 

Just now, wintertowns said:

I don't think that anyone is upset, most people is actually trying to help you. You just don't give any sign of actually listening, so what's the point of posting on a forum for feedback and discussion? If you continue to fight reality in this way, you really should get banned for your own good. Take some time of behemoth Doom mapping and rethink your life.

I've replaced the link 4 times now, and Memfis has confirmed that the map is now beatable with 100% kills and items.

I realise that Nilum is a large, intimidating map.... and that's why there's 100 dollars prize for your efforts.

1 minute ago, meapineapple said:

Your map wasn't all bad @Pan. I played through part of it, though I didn't have the gumption to finish it. Sorry so much hate fell on you. Some of it was definitely valid criticism, granted, but a lot of it was unconstructive and perhaps not warranted. Keep on making maps, though maybe consider making some shorter ones... 

Thanks mate :) the deeper you get into the map, the better it gets. Hopefully you'll have another try soon.

1 minute ago, Pan said:

I realise

I'm sorry, but I think you've shown clearly that you don't seem to realize much at all...

As a token of goodwill to the community for the bugs on initial release, I am going to offer a tiered prize system.

1st prize (1st person to post 100% playthrough)- $150 AUD

2nd prize (2nd person to post 100% playthrough) - $100 AUD

3rd prize (3rd person to post 100% playthrough) - $50 AUD

All other rules remain the same (see first post for rules)

I'm serious about this and I want some serious challengers. The map is now beatable as confirmed by Memfis, so there shouldn't be anymore complaints .

Nilum is only for the bravest;

http://www.mediafire.com/file/egdsy7t3hc19ux9/Nilum.wad/file