Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

Wads like Hell on Earth Starter Pack

Hello folks, I am looking for levels/wads that are similar to Hell on Earth Starter Pack (HoESP). Can anyone recommend me something similar to it.

I know there is HonTE, ProjectRevamp and UTnT but is there anything else like it. (preferably one that works with gameplay mods like D4T, but not compulsory)

Now I really wish SgtMarkIV focused more on making more levels/wads like HoESP rather than focusing entirely on BD.

What aspect are you looking for specifically?

Retellings of the Doom 2 Story? For that, I'd recommend Echelon or perhaps Coffee Break. There's probably others I can't recall right now as well.

Maps ideal to be used with Gameplay wads? There's quite a few; but my favourites that work all the time are Whispers of Satan, Chainworm Commando, and 2048 Unleashed.

26 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

What aspect are you looking for specifically?

I am looking for levels that focus more on atmosphere/world building and making believable environments (kind of like Duke3d has). I am not looking for typical megawads that focus on difficult choreographed fights (aka AV, sunlust, valiant, AA, scythe etc)

Edit: KDiZD is another example of types of level design I want. (not talking about its difficulty level or custom monsters, only layout)

Edited by ReaperAA

16 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I am looking for levels that focus more on atmosphere/world building and making believable environments (kind of like Duke3d has). I am not looking for typical megawads that focus on difficult choreographed fights (aka AV, sunlust, valiant, AA, scythe etc)

Does this have to be city themed? If not, I'm partial to Temple of the Lizard Men 2. It's a temple-themed total conversion with some Unreal inspired features, focussed on exploring.

41 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Does this have to be city themed?

While i would personally prefer tech or city theme, it is not compulsory. I will have to check some videos about Temple of Lizard Men 2 to see if it is to my taste.

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Edit: KDiZD is another example of types of level design I want. (not talking about its difficulty level or custom monsters, only layout)

Yep, in that case then, Echelon and Chainworm Commando on that list still apply, as well as Legacy of Heroes, UAC Ultra, Doom Eternal, Going Down, and Verse Hopper.

Not really Doom(although based on it), but the Ashes2063 mod that came out had city levels/ruined outposts in it. It's got atmosphere up the wazoo too.

I have a 9 map Wad made specifically for an older Brutal Doom version that I always try to promote.

It's mostly techbase and does have sewers, factory, science labs, tech, corrupted tech and underground levels. There is a basic story involved.

You can find it on www.moddb.com website (read description for version details) called Operation UAC. But it only works correctly with a specific version of BD due to unique scripting, bosses and events. You can youtube it to see some peoples gameplay vids. It seems to work fine with weapon mods.

Doom Reloaded, Ashes2063 and Map of Chaos look interesting.

And Operation UAC, after seeing some videos, looks exactly the kind of level pack that i want.

If anyone else have good suggestions, post them.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:29 PM, Chezza said:

But it only works correctly with a specific version of BD due to unique scripting, bosses and events. 

This peaked my interest. What's the exact version of BD it needs though ? I'm using the ver 20b, but the explosion in the first room doesn't happen, so it's got to be a specific Brutal Doom version from 2016 I think.

EDIT: Got it working with an old version of GZDoom(same version the Starter Pack was released with) and your pk3 file, which had the whole Brutal Doom mod baked into as well. Took a while to figure that out.

EDIT2: Ah, yes, I was dumb. The gzdoom.exe that came with the Starter pack had the brutal doom baked into it not your wad, which, you know, makes sense XD.

Edited by pulkmees

@Chezza Operation UAC is great but i want to ask why u designed it for brutal doom only (that too only for a specific version). Why not design it such a way that it works with other mods too.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:31 PM, ReaperAA said:

@Chezza Operation UAC is great but i want to ask why u designed it for brutal doom only (that too only for a specific version). Why not design it such a way that it works with other mods too.

I would love it to be played in other versions and mods but my scripts are reliant on the resources in BD v20b. Come previous and later versions some resources weren't available or were modified. This causes strange results or straight out breaks the wad. I.e the end boss won't even spawn.

I'm contemplating reworking the mod to meet to support the latest BD build but I will need to rebuild some scripts, events and end boss from scratch.