Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

$100 for >=100% - Doom 2 demo challenge

So Dime currently is leading with 41 seconds. Will I finally have to pay him back for mentioning me by name at Games Done Quick, despite him making it sound as if I am some giant pedantic nerd?

Just to be safer...

0:39 (14-61-25)

A bit different and cleaner movement here. I also learned a new fact about the engine today: apparently you can switch to another weapon faster if you do it right when the ammo for the current one runs out. This helps a little with preparing the BFG shot at the end.

18-memfis39.zip

Wow, I initially wanted to criticize the map choice for having an obvious best route, but then people kept finding more and more stuff. It's quite inspiring to see.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

LMFAO well I wasn't expecting that.

At least you'll be spared from paying for your hubris.

Unless @Memfis goes for 36 seconds.

4 hours ago, Memfis said:

Wow, I initially wanted to criticize the map choice for having an obvious best route, but then people kept finding more and more stuff. It's quite inspiring to see.

Idk, my immediate thought when the challenge started was that there's a lot of ways of doing it, since secrets count for 25% and there's all those items in your path. It's just a shame you're forced to get the blue key, really.

Well jeez now I desperately want Memfis to pull a Rocky here and win in the upset of the decade. Come on Mem, don’t let us down (or do, whichever you prefer)

On 10/25/2018 at 8:10 PM, Marcaek said:

Capitalism saves Doom speedrunning??? smh

Yeah this is turning out to be far more entertaining than Compet-N.

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

It's just a shame you're forced to get the blue key, really.

Nah, that room is more complicated than it looks. You can cut corners in so many different ways and try fast switch, try the pacifist style (used by memfis in his 39 s) etc. There are so many tiny things you can do there. I'm glad it is there. The amount of items you can get from the room varies from around 28 up to 46. That means you have to optimize the room to suit the rest of the route/run to barely get the 100% with luck.

9 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I didn't know that teleporter was 2-way...

Well, since no one told me about this after my stupid 50% secret route, I thought I didn't miss anything, but I did miss something now...

My response... Again, trying to be bold in the blue room of doom in order to make random infightings a wee bit less important.

Can I eat and sleep now?????

18-memfis36.zip

Memfis, your latest run exits on literally the last possible tic of getting 0:36 and there are several unusual input patterns in your demo:

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 1.26.31 PM.crushed.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 1.29.51 PM.crushed.png

Do you have any comment on these?

I will say that as most products of considerably long speedrunning sessions, that demo looks a little miraculous, with many things magically falling into place. Yes, the timing couldn't have been luckier.

I cannot comment on the XDRE output as I don't understand the Doom demo format, but DSDA hosts almost 500 demos recorded by me for anyone to make a judgement on whether these patterns belong to my playing style.

After seeing your post I managed to record this (attached) 0:37 *.lmp with 97% in ZDoom 2.8.1 relatively quickly. It flows very similarly to the demo I posted before. I might attempt a better run in ZDoom with less hiccups, but I understand it won't be conclusive or anything, especially due to the engine differences. I don't know what can be done here. That's really the problem with the contest's format, as highlighted in that post rdwpa quoted above.

18memfis-zdoom-37-97.zip

I don't care about a ZDoom demo. ZDoom has different physics. I care how it is possible that you could have a series of tics with key commands of:

• Tic 755: Forward 50, strafe 40
  • Tic 756: Forward 50, strafe 50
  • Tic 757: no inputs at all
  • Tic 758: Forward 50, strafe 50

Several other people who are more familiar with demos than I am say they cannot think of any reason why this would be a legit sequence of inputs. If you cannot offer an explanation for how you, the person pressing the keys, could have done this, then I can only conclude you cheated, by re-recording the demo and resuming control at that particular point, because you want to win the money.

No, I can't describe details of game inputs, so your conclusion should stand. For possible future challenges I suggest using ports with more verifiable formats to avoid such situations.

The sequence in the first screenshot implies you initiated sr50, lifted your hands for exactly 1 tic from all input, then the next tic you were at full sr50 again. That just doesn't seem very likely under any circumstances. But you just so happened to do it right before a very RNG-ish segment, and such a sequence could actually easily occur if one were to stitch a segment in the middle of a continuous run. I also quickly checked your other demos in this thread and they don't seem to contain a similar hiccup even once.

Well you can still splice runs in demos made in ports other than zdoom I assume, so, how would we know if you are still cheating or not? Like, im not trying to be overly pessimistic or anything but, the speedrunning community has been classically pretty lax when it comes to cheating, its only been within the past year or so that people have been making any actual effort to crack down on cheaters, who knows how many runs of even Doom have been cheated before? Those inputs that linguica listed do seem kind of suspicious but i don't know the deep details of dooms input systems or demo recording features much less the implementations of those on different sourceports so I clearly am not the person to make the call on whether it is legit or not. Im just saying that the speedrunning community needs to be more careful when it comes to cheating especially when there is money on the line