Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
therektafire

Doom 2 map01 UV pacifist in 0:07 (prboom+ complevel 2)

Hi :) Recently I got pretty interested in speedrunning but since my laptop isn't that great the amount of games I can run is kind of limited, so I naturally turned to Doom since it will run on basically anything :) I haven't learned all the advanced mlg doom strats yet like sr50 and glides and stuff although I do know about them obviously, so I decided to start with this pacifist run of doom 2 map01, I am pretty proud of it because I figured out how to pretty consistently manipulate the ai of the imp in the exit room to get out of my way fairly quickly without even looking up any tutorials or videos/demos of other runs, now I just need to figure out how to do similarly for the rest of the maps :D

edit: oh also please do tell me whether or not my run is "legit" since I recorded it with prboom and not chocolate doom

trf_map01pacifist.zip

Edited by therektafire

PrBoom+ has some advanced features that alters gameplay. For example, you can cancel the red tint after taking damage, so you can maneuver easier after getting heavy damage. However, behaviors of things are perfectly fine on PrBoom+ if set to the correct complevel, and it's the most convenient port to use for recording demos.

Anyway, welcome to the club that gives you a lot of pain, but a lot of fun ;P

11 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

PrBoom+ has some advanced features that alters gameplay. For example, you can cancel the red tint after taking damage, so you can maneuver easier after getting heavy damage

Just to avoid any possible misunderstanding, all such features are optional and disabled by default. So no action is needed if you just want to record a normal demo without any unfair advantages. If you do enable any TAS features to record, then you should always make this completely clear when you release the demo. And disable them before recording normally again.

There is no reason to consider Prb+ demos as inherently suspicious in some way. After all, anyone up to no good would use TAS features and then claim to have used vanilla. Of course, TAS features can easily be hacked into any port.

Edited by Grazza : remove unnecessary blank lines - originally posted from a mobile device while at the vets since my cat Teddy needed to go in, k?

@GrazzaWait, I remember those (such as no flash when picking up things) are in normal options (not TAS specific)? I used the default settings of course, but probably you can't tell if anyone used those, right?

Well, I guess this discussion will eventually leads to the HUD thing...

Just now, GarrettChan said:

I used the default settings of course, but probably you can't tell if anyone used those, right?

Your PrBoom+ settings from the options menu doesn't carry over into the demo.lmp in case of powerup flashes, pain-tint and similar stuff, if that answers your question

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Your PrBoom+ settings from the options menu doesn't carry over into the demo.lmp in case of powerup flashes, pain-tint and similar stuff, if that answers your question

Yeah, basically this is what I meant to say. This is why I said this, and this further proves your point further into sourceport being not able to provide legitimacy if someone wants to go full purist. Of course I said those just to provide information because I don't want to switch from PrBoom+ since it's the most convenient one.

I had this problem because I got my config file from somebody else because I didn't know how to turn off the filter before, but I struggled to turn these things back to default. Yeah, it seems rather stupid right now, haha.

@kb1 It depends on how awesome. Runners have general sense of movement and they plan out the routes clearly. Even the screen is fully red for a few seconds, they might even do their movement correctly just by feeling.

Edited by GarrettChan

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

@GrazzaWait, I remember those (such as no flash when picking up things) are in normal options (not TAS specific)? I used the default settings of course, but probably you can't tell if anyone used those, right?

Well, I guess this discussion will eventually leads to the HUD thing...

Master demo gods can usually get a sense of when someone's cheating. Like if you see a demo where the player pulls off some awesome feat, right after taking a rocket to the face... After two or three of those, it becomes clear what time it is, you know?

On the config thing: If necessary, you can rename your config file to "config.old" or whatever, and most, if not all ports will create a clean config file, set to engine defaults. You might then want to manually edit the new file, and cut-n-paste things like video/audio setup, and controller settings from the old file. But all the other settings will be set to defaults, which usually leaves you with a "clean" configuration.

@Memfis I just tried after reading your post and I improved to 6.x :D (I wish I could get a more accurate measurement but the IGT only rounds to the nearest integer) I looked at the top non TAS run on dsda and tried to do what they did

trfm01pac006.zip

Heh, didn't realize shooting in the air is a thing. I can't get better than 6 sec without shooting. This is the first non-silly category run in my D2 history, lol.

Doom 2 Map01 UV Pacifist in 0:05 (The naming for doom2.wad is confusing...)

lv01p005.zip

If you add the "-levelstat" option to prboom+ when you run it it also outputs exact map times to a levelstat.txt file, fyi