Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Dukes Shrink ray

hmm

Create 2 enemies that look the same, but one is smaller. Use DeHackEd to make the small one ACTUALLY small, and to make the shrink ray do enough damage to kill the big enemy in one shot. Now make the shrink ray's animation. Put in the level, the big enemy and the shrink ray. Use the zdoom thing special "Thing_SpawnNoFog" on the big enemy, so that when it dies, the little enemy will instantly spawn in its place. Make sure to make the big enemy's death animation invisible.

This looks to me very hard and not worth it.

AdAmIzEr said:

I thought it be cool if the freezer could work on doom :)

It might be possible. If the freezer killed the enemy, the same enemy could be spawned instantly in its place, and the new enemy could be made dormant. But im not sure if scripting can change monster flags...

Epyo said:

It might be possible. If the freezer killed the enemy, the same enemy could be spawned instantly in its place, and the new enemy could be made dormant. But im not sure if scripting can change monster flags...

Yes it can. Anything triggered by a linedef or thing can also be triggered on a script. (with the added bonus of being able to set arguments greater than 255)

Fredrik said:
You can do it in any source port if you have a C or C++ compiler.

[off Topic] Don't suppose you could sergest a good one?[/off topic]

Are we forgetting something? Hexen had a freezer too. I'm guessing that once Zdoom gets a little more Hexen support, we should be able to use that ability.

Lazer said:

Are we forgetting something? Hexen had a freezer too. I'm guessing that once Zdoom gets a little more Hexen support, we should be able to use that ability.

Randy has already added Dehacked flags to allow things to do Fire and Ice damage - and thereby generate the flame or Ice deaths as seen in Hexen. The downside is of course that a monster would need flame or Ice frames built in, and there is no dehacked support for identifying such frames for the doom monsters.

I have, however, given the RL and Plasma gun projectiles the fire and ice damage flags and they did indeed burn or freeze some Hexen monsters I summoned into a Doom game.

Interesting side effect, projectiles with these set no longer seemed to activate projectile impact style line defs, and the projectiles could teleport. Didn't investigate that too fully though.

Enjay said:

Randy has already added Dehacked flags to allow things to do Fire and Ice damage - and thereby generate the flame or Ice deaths as seen in Hexen.

You can also do this in EDGE. You can assign different custom states to different things and attacks, e.g. if you hit a monster with a flame thrower(using custom attack) then the monster will burst into flames(using custom death states assuming you've done the sprites:-) but if you hit the same monster with a rocket then he'll be gibbed etc.

Lazer said:

Where would I go to find these new Zdoom deh pointers?

I found quite a few by simply raking through the source. Some work, and some things that looked like deh pointers or bit mnemonics either didn't work, or weren't supposed to in the first place. Because they are all part of the as yet unfinalised version, there is no documentation that lists them (yet).

Incidentally, I asked Randy about the fact that projectiles that had these bits added no longer worked as projectiles normally do, and I got the following answer:

"These two properties live in the flags2 field for the actor defaults. Specifying any of those flags clears the entire field back to 0, so you need to add back the PCROSS, IMPACT, and NOTELEPORT flags."

I haven't tried it yet, but I guess that's that cleared up.

Edit: Tried it and yup it all works. It's fun using the Doom plasma gun to freeze Hexen enemies. :-)

Lazer said:

Tried it, it works. I managed to freeze a Bishop.

Hmmm... Am I the only one that thinks that somehow sounds strangely rude?

:-)