Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

What Video Game(s) are you Currently Ignoring?

This is definitely not a topic thought up in half a second by backwards-thinking of a topic that already exist. It's entirely original.

This could be an interesting thing to discuss about. I found myself to be straying away from very hyped/very well-reviewed games of this year (and other years) simply because of.... reasons.

Be it personal distain, lack of interesting, or otherworldly reasoning, there is just that odd feeling of not following what your friends/cohorts are playing, when by much word of mouth, the game in question sounds like a hell of a time. A damn fun game that "everyone should play." Yet, you just don't play it. Why could that be?

I decided to create this thread to have a chat about reasons of not playing game(s) that are out, or are even catalog in your belongings (like in your Steam Library, or resting somewhere in your shelf). This could be of any game, but it would be of more interested on why a popular/well-reviewed game isn't your cup of tea.

This is me with the Witcher 3.

I know that game is pretty much the godsend RPG of the decade (with even my own best friend imploring me to buy it on 50% discounts whenever possible). But i just do not find it interesting. It could be my already disinterest of open-world games thats causing this (tried thrice on beating Fallout 3, and never got passed 15-20hrs). Or be it my lack of playing "overrated games." But I played Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 no problem. I don't know... it just doesn't urk me to play it.

Pretty much all of them, Recently my interest in what's going on with the gaming scene had been very low, Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks like another Tomb Raider 2011, RDR2 seems like yet another generic open world game, COD BO4 also seems like yet another generic multiplayer shooter...etc. not intentionally though, I guess I'm just not interested enough in them.

The only game I’m awaiting with anything resembling eagerness is Doom Eternal. I have relatively little free time for gaming as it is, most of it is spent with Old Doom.

49 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The only game I’m awaiting with anything resembling eagerness is Doom Eternal. I have relatively little free time for gaming as it is, most of it is spent with Old Doom.

Same here, its the first time in many years i have been so impatient (to a point where i have watched the gameplay trailer atleast 20 times)

red dead redemption 2 can get the hell out of my headspace

most big budget releases slide off me anyway but im amazed by teh dark souls and dishonored serieseses

I'm trying to ignore all new releases from the last three years or so, because I've already got just under 180 games and DLC to beat. Any console exclusive gets a miss from me, too, as I'm primarily a PC gamer, although as long as my XBox 360 keeps working I'll try and pick up classics I missed when they're cheap.

If I had to single out a series, I think it'd be Call of Duty. I love the 5-6 hour cinematic campaigns that they come with, but the prices don't drop quickly and the campaign seems to be more and more vestigial as they go along. Black Ops 3 was my last CoD.

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

The majority of modern triple-A releases just blur together on me.

Same. I'm still keeping an eye out for new releases but I notice there's just not much to capture my attention. I think the full release of Ion Maiden and Doom Eternal are pretty much the only games I'm looking forward to right now, and maybe Cyberpunk 2077.

I actually stopped playing Need For Speed Payback after a few missions. Not really sure why but I do like the game. It's just that I don't feel like investing myself in that game as much as I used to do back in older NFS games as a kid.

I also need to finish Outlast 2 that I started playing a few months ago. Have made quite far into the story and it was a great experience; don't feel like going back to it just yet. Used to play a lot of GTA 5, Ghost Recon, Ark Survival Evolved, Skyrim as well but neglecting those too...

Also have Assassin's Creed Syndicate installed and need to progress into the story further. Been ignoring it for a few months however. Another really great game, Planet Coaster, which I was so eager to get my hands on; now that I have it, I don't really play it. Have not made more than a few good parks. 

Most of the little free time that I get now goes in playing custom doom wads in ZDaemon, or just playing some android games on my phone. I have actually been ignoring not just games but Discord as well lol.

Anything by Bethesda, I am just not happy with them anymore for a number of reasons. I was avoiding Skyrim as I haven't gotten over my disappointments with it, I did try to replay it but I noticed more problems I didn't the first time. I have also been ignoring any Fallout after New Vegas, I loved NV but got bored of it after the first full playthrough just like with Fallout 3 although I like NV much more. I am also ignoring modern shooters such as CoD. I also don't care for the new ID games post Rage, Rage I hardly played before dropping it. I am also avoiding Diablo 3 as there's no offline mode. Also anything with DRM.

Edited by Avoozl

Pretty much the entirety of new games outside of what's available on GOG.

Though for a more specific example of "games I actually have but have been reluctant to play" there's the whole Ultima series.  Every time I think about starting on them I get hung up on A) wondering if I should begin at the beginning no matter how weird and dated the early entries may be or if I should just go right to one of the "generally accepted as best" ones like 7; and B) feeling like this series has been so hyped up to me over the years that it'd be impossible for it to be anything but disappointing.  Also C) RPGs aren't really my genre of choice, either.

39 minutes ago, Rosh Fragger said:

I actually stopped playing Need For Speed Payback after a few missions. Not really sure why but I do like the game. It's just that I don't feel like investing myself in that game as much as I used to do back in older NFS games as a kid.

Probably because NFS started going downhill after Undercover, and so far it did not manage to recover.

It's completely missing the grittier and more serious tone of the older games, and it's nowhere near as fun as it used to be.

I still try to keep up with modern games despite thinking Doom 2 tops them all, because genuinely there have been some brilliant recent AAA releases.  The whole Soulsborne series, the new God of War, and Horizon: Zero Dawn I've all really, really enjoyed (Bloodborne is probably close to Doom as being my favorite game ever. I personally see a lot off parallels between Doom and the Soulsborne series).

Right now though, I'm steadfastly ignoring Red Dead Redemption 2. I never got on with the first one, and honestly haven't enjoyed a Rockstar game in years.  And now reading the articles about what a toxic, sweatshop type work place it is, I'm not giving them another cent of my money. 

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Pretty much the entirety of new games outside of what's available on GOG.

Though for a more specific example of "games I actually have but have been reluctant to play" there's the whole Ultima series.  Every time I think about starting on them I get hung up on A) wondering if I should begin at the beginning no matter how weird and dated the early entries may be or if I should just go right to one of the "generally accepted as best" ones like 7; and B) feeling like this series has been so hyped up to me over the years that it'd be impossible for it to be anything but disappointing.  Also C) RPGs aren't really my genre of choice, either.

ultima advice: start with four, five or six :)) the first three are sort of scatterbrained and nonsensical, number seven immediately starts you off with allies who talk like you know them, but you won't know them unless you've played some of the previous games. also starting from seven the strategic combat portion is basically gone and the previous three feel more like whole games.

Trying to ignore Fortnite and it's massively growing fanbase. Everywhere I go I am forced to hear or see something about Fortnite. What are they trying to do, trying to get me to play Fortnite? They're all like "JOIN US" or some shit like that.

Okay... All Freemium crap! Anything from EA, except 90's games and NFS series ending with original Most Wanted (2005). Everything released after 2006 because i don't see anything new or original there.

I bought a PS4 earlier this year so I'm ignoring all the major releases like Spider-Man and RDR2 that I would like to play but feel like I should wait until they're old enough to be discounted (I bought God of War for $60 at launch, beat it, and then ended up just trading in my copy to Amazon for $20, which is basically like waiting for it to be $40...)

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I bought a PS4 earlier this year 

I was never much of a console guy, but credit where credit is due, many of my most enjoyed games of the last few years have been PS4 exclusives. 

^ On that topic, I never buy games at their full price. I always wait for sales or the price to go down.

Or, no longer doing it anyway, last time I paid full price for a game was over a decade ago.

I ignore the "good games." I just lack the time to invest 20 - 40 hours in them. The problem is if I invest 10 hours in 1 and drift to another... then that 10 hour one turns into "what was I doing and how do I play?" So I stick to the 15 minute games some armature made on their weekend. They're so bad I have no obligation to keep playing. They're disposable and still entertaining distractions no matter how good or bad.

Doom 5 comes out I'm still buying it and plowing through it though. Like I did with Doom 4.

17 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Call of Duty in general.

Call of Duty 1 is really not bad and have its moments. But whole series is definitely milked to death and should be ignored.

30 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Call of Duty in general. No matter what they do, I will never spend MY money on ANY Call of Duty game! I never have and I never will!

You should. Might be overreacting quite a bit there.

Yes, Activision & co. sucked the life out of the franchise, but at least some of the older games are really good. From my POV, all CoD games from the first up until MW3 are well worth the time and of great quality, anything that followed however... similar situation to what EA did with Need for Speed after 2008 or so...

I think I'm Ignoring everything until something specific comes along. I tend to not buy games at full price anymore. Even with Doom 2016, I waited for a sale. Not much interests me other than a few games I already bought ages ago. Shooters seem to have gone to the bleah side and I don't know when I was excited by a new RPG.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

You should. Might be overreacting quite a bit there.

Yes, Activision & co. sucked the life out of the franchise, but at least some of the older games are really good. From my POV, all CoD games from the first up until MW3 are well worth the time and of great quality, anything that followed however... similar situation to what EA did with Need for Speed after 2008 or so...

I've only heard of Call of Duty because of it's negative reception. I've seen videos of 5-year-olds screaming the life out of themselves on a shitty microphone in online play. If I played Call of Duty, I would be hearing that every time I played, because judging from the videos I saw, there's always some sort of drama happening in the online play of Call of Duty, so it's probably never peaceful.