Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reveilleun

"Doom Add-On Levels" A compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic

I never seen such a thing.

Would be an interesting play to see some classic custom wads. Seeing as it's not licensed or approved by id software I wonder where this was sold.

It's got the companies details, if they still exist.

gawd bless anyone who rips and uploads this :3 it might just be a compendium of other people's stuff but as a european release there might be less familiar things lurking within

Hopefully the disks still read, sounds interesting.  It's fairly well known, I think, that the earliest version of D!ZONE came on floppy, but you don't hear too much about other floppy-based WAD compilations.  (IIRC, the shareware catalog I used to get back in the day called "The Software Labs" also had some offerings of WADs on floppy, but I never got any of those since I didn't have Doom at the time, and I don't have any of the catalogs any more either).

Would also be cool if you could add any details you can find (from the packaging if nothing else) to this list:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_compilations

14 hours ago, Linguica said:

If it's not here, then they would be interested in having it: https://archive.org/details/doom-cds

How could I reach out to these guys?

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Hopefully the disks still read, sounds interesting.  It's fairly well known, I think, that the earliest version of D!ZONE came on floppy, but you don't hear too much about other floppy-based WAD compilations.  (IIRC, the shareware catalog I used to get back in the day called "The Software Labs" also had some offerings of WADs on floppy, but I never got any of those since I didn't have Doom at the time, and I don't have any of the catalogs any more either).

Would also be cool if you could add any details you can find (from the packaging if nothing else) to this list:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_compilations

Wiki added.

Edited by reveilleun

Wads on floppies? Well, it can't fit hundreds of maps, so maybe they are curated? One can hope :D

I have a floppy disc now, have no idea what I'm doing lol disc 1 has install programs that can't be accessed, disc 2 has the wad files but I have no idea how to use them.. tried throwing them into zdoom with doom wad but nothing happened? 

Aren't these types of usermade wads the reason ID released their Master levels ?

Because the market was overflowing with these random maps and these "companies" just repackaged them and sold them.

The second image rings a bell. I remember a fair where some dude had a giant software / game setup where everything was $4 per disk. That was one of them. I also think the majority of it was pirated copies or shareware as nothing had boxes. Above each bin was a print out of the box art / scanned. That second one was an image of one of the box arts... which to this day I thought it was someone's hastily made map and not a real box.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Did that imp's face fall off or something

Offtopic, but this kind of makes me want to see someone sprite a faceless imp variant.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Did that imp's face fall off or something

Not sure if it melted off from all the unlicensed and unapproved Doom action inside or it's a forerunner to the Trump comb over.

Looks like homemade release. Then was golden age of pirated VHS, audio cassettes... Build some maps, burn them to floppies, make paper boxes and sell at Bazaar.

It's kind of funny how this stuff got circulated for actual money back in the day. Now we have the democratization of technology and software, and sophistication, resulting in high quality stuff you can hardly get a buck from in a GoFundMe.

1 hour ago, reveilleun said:

I have a floppy disc now, have no idea what I'm doing lol

FIRST priority is to image the floppies with WinImage or something similar, THEN share the image files! Worry about decoding crap AFTER you copy that floppy.

25 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Looks like homemade release. Then was golden age of pirated VHS, audio cassettes... Build some maps, burn them to floppies, make paper boxes and sell at Bazaar.

Don't copy that floppy! BURN IT!

7 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Do you think there can hide viruses or you just hate pirates?

I was just commenting on the fact that you used the term "burn them to floppies". "Burning" things didn't really become a term until the advent of CD-R's, because you literally "burn" the data onto the disc. Whereas, in the era of the floppy, people would say "copy".

I wasn't poking fun or nitpicking, I just thought it was a funny anachronism.

Yes, create an image of the disk(s) and upload them so we can ... download them!

WHAT WONDERS AWAIT US?

Or just copy n' paste them to a new folder then compress/zip them up, then upload them somewhere so we can have a look.

Nice find!

Just now, Gaia74 said:

why have the portrait the bunny of duracell batterys?image.png.61a5af6992aa8dbb52bd9af3d3e36575.png

Also, whatever that sprite is to the top right looks to me like a broken Dalek.

2 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

why have the portrait the bunny of duracell batterys?image.png.61a5af6992aa8dbb52bd9af3d3e36575.png

Likely someone made a mod or in this case replaced some of the monster sprites.