Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reveilleun

"Doom Add-On Levels" A compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic

7 hours ago, reveilleun said:

I have a floppy disc now, have no idea what I'm doing lol disc 1 has install programs that can't be accessed, disc 2 has the wad files but I have no idea how to use them.. tried throwing them into zdoom with doom wad but nothing happened? 

Just drag 'n drop everything off the floppies into a folder on your computer, zip it up, then post it somewhere (worry about grabbing a full proper image of it later, just copying all the files over should be good for now).

Check out everyone salivating for some E1M1 barrels-to-cyberdemons 1994 crapWADs :)

MUST HAVE NOW!

Lol I had those Energizer Bunny sprites back in the day. I even made a sprite replacement WAD for my friends called “Happy Doom” that compiled a lot of the popular goofy alt. sprites (Barney the dinosaur was, of course, another one—it was the 90s and I was in middle school). It would be wild if my old WAD was on this disc, though I don’t think it ever made it outside my friend circle.

Thanks for files. But install.bat is messed up - contains weird symbols instead of letters. DosBox failed to launch it with "illegal command" error. Had anyone luck to extract WADs?

There are 3 wads which are compressed with ARJ. But some files seem corrupt, like the BAT files. I managed to extract the 3 wads but only one is correct I think, it is wadpak2.wad

It seems someone took user-made maps and put them as E1, E2 and E3 replacements, except there are no secret maps, obviously because there are no secret exits I guess. So it's 24 maps in total in that wad file. I jumped around a bit and they seem to be very low quality '94 type maps which sometimes include parts of IWAD maps, especially E1M1. Or maybe someone started with E1M1 as a base and changed it, it's really bad haha!

@Doge Sword

Can you copy the 3 files with arj extension to your PC without errors? If yes, please upload those. Thanks!

Chocolate Doom exits with an error because the demos are from a version previous to 1.9

I think these custom maps are so old that the person doing them found it easier to edit existing maps instead of starting from scratch with whatever shitty map editor they had at that point. The file date is 18/08/94

EDIT: Yeah, at least a few maps have parts of E1M1 with changed sector heights, textures and flats. And things. And I think parts of other maps, too!

The fact of the discovery is interesting. I wonder what map is depicted on box.

Edit:

Yeah, it seems wadpak1 and wadpak3 is corrupted. Or maybe it should be extracted differently?
Available maps is mostly Doom 1 editions, and a few are original ones.
usV5oRm.png

ThPm81Q.png

Edited by riderr3

You can use the portable version of WinImage to open the ima files and extract the arj archives. Then use 7zip to extract the wad files. But 1 and 3 are corrupted, only 2 is correct.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:13 AM, Chezza said:

I never seen such a thing.

I have to search it, but i have a commercial floppy 3.5 that was inside a Doom book i had quite long ago (then selled to my cousin to a guy he knows like when i was in high school, 20 years ago, i still have the floppy anyway.)

I'm guessing the file corruption in some of the files in the disk images is plain old media rot, it's happening with more and more floppies as they enter the third or fourth decade of their lives.

I recently took some screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_071136.png.e27488bb7a17b83d809bae5ae29a0b25.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181031_071245.png.8c58b7177a926dc920f523080684d4c2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181031_072454.png.699b546aae016b212927b7974bd850c7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181031_074526.png.bc04161b26f4bc4a4c832e269a60b5db.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181031_074318.png.aee94f6a70ca451ab636b96e981d7371.pngThis last screenshot right here is my favorite, it looks cool even though its just E1M1 reskin.

Loaded up the first map in WADPAK2.wad, found myself in the secret room off the slime river in E1M4, turned around, went up the lift that normally leads to the soulsphere, and the first enemy I saw was a Cyberdemon.

Yep, definitely '94

EDIT: This is evidently before 1.4, the swastika is still there.

15 hours ago, riderr3 said:

The fact of the discovery is interesting. I wonder what map is depicted on box.

Edit:

Yeah, it seems wadpak1 and wadpak3 is corrupted. Or maybe it should be extracted differently?
Available maps is mostly Doom 1 editions, and a few are original ones.

Is there a way I can extract them differently? I've never done this before so really have no clue. 

Can you just copy .arj files from floppies to PC? These files can be extracted with 7zip archiver. And please upload these files here.

These seem to work fine, thanks!

wadpak1 seems like another bunch of maps thrown together, but wadpak3 has some custom graphics and music and ENDOOM screen which references Hades' House of Horrors by Robert Zubek. And check this out, E2M1 from our wadpak3 is the same as E1M1 from the wadpak2 that Vermil posted earlier from idgames!

Does anyone know what these PLATFORM and INFOPACK lumps are?