Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reveilleun

"Doom Add-On Levels" A compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic

In wadpak3 the ENDOOM and the Episode 2 replacement title graphic is taken from this single-map wad

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/g-i/hhh-22

I can't find the map itself, is it in there?!

EDIT: Oh that was part two, this is part one, makes sense now, it's E2M1 from this, it seems whoever compiled it just merged the wads, including the ENDOOM and M_EPI2 lumps lol

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/g-i/hhh-21

I loaded all 3 wads together and new episodes appeared in game menu, new hud in game.

Edit: My bad. Those episodes and hud are from wadpak3.

Edited by Rimantas

wadpak1 has only a bunch of maps and a PLATFORM lump

wadpak2 has a bunch of maps, 3 demos for an earlier Doom version than 1.9, a PLATFORM lump and an INFOPACK lump. The INFOPACK lump has this text in it: "Inferno Challenge Kevin Haley"

wadpak3 has a bunch of maps, 3 demos, the ENDOOM and M_EPI2 from HHH-21, some music lumps in MUS format, custom HUD gfx, an M_EPI1 saying "Inferno" and some other graphics/textures. Also a PLATFORM lump and an INFOPACK lump containing the text "Inferno Bastion of Chaos Kevin Haleyd Created with Renegade Graphics Doom Editor version 0.9a. This is an example level. Shotgun fest."

In this thread they say the PLATFORM lump is added by a windows map editor called DoomED and/or DMReal.

5 minutes ago, VGA said:

wadpak1 has only a bunch of maps and a PLATFORM lump

wadpak2 has a bunch of maps, 3 demos for an earlier Doom version than 1.9, a PLATFORM lump and an INFOPACK lump. The INFOPACK lump has this text in it: "Inferno Challenge Kevin Haley"

wadpak3 has a bunch of maps, 3 demos, the ENDOOM and M_EPI2 from HHH-21, some music lumps in MUS format, custom HUD gfx, an M_EPI1 saying "Inferno" and some other graphics/textures. Also a PLATFORM lump and an INFOPACK lump containing the text "Inferno Bastion of Chaos Kevin Haleyd Created with Renegade Graphics Doom Editor version 0.9a. This is an example level. Shotgun fest."

In this thread they say the PLATFORM lump is added by a windows map editor called DoomED and/or DMReal.

Are these "earlier demos" a common find? 

Eternity Engine has no problems to play Ultimate Doom's demos with these custom maps... I never saw any demo played in wrong map before. :D Anyway, i will try to find old version of Doom to watch demos, contained in these wadpaks.

Well I copied my Dosbox Ultimate Doom folder to another and downgraded to 1.1, the demos still didn't play correctly. Then I patched 1.1 to 1.2 and still incorrect. Now the next patch I find is 1.2 to 1.666 but that's too new. The files are dated 18/08/94

I am assuming these demos are actually demos for these maps and not just copied over randomly from some other wad :D

Playing through wadpack1 now

Hooboy... Some of these are... not good. 

Was there some trend I'm not remembering where levels had exits almost immediately accessible from the start?  This is the 3rd level I've encountered where you can basically just "skip" the entire level.

Lots of bad texturing, broken sectors, HOMs, etc.  Man this is some real mid 90's shit for sure.

image.png.8385815c735dbd9ae5be66dd197ff45f.png

image.png.d94d28739b84dd4aebb07e9856910f0f.png

Despite that, having fun with it.

1 minute ago, Antnee said:

Hooboy... Some of these are... not good. 

It's like a 90's time capsule of bad map design. At first I thought this was some kind of hoax or something.

1 hour ago, Antnee said:

image.png.5c6a4da88de1f7545c20871953ddc00d.png

All a single texture, light fades in and out for this whole god forsaken sector.

Oh god its beautifully horrific :D obviously someone somehow didnt get the memo they were playing Doom and not wolfenstein lol

Dude... so wadpack 2 is really pretty bad.  E1 answers the age old question:  "What if we took E1 maps, changed almost nothing, and filled them with soulspheres, blue armors, and cyberdemons?"

The answer is rather stupid.

There's lots and lots of broken shit in this one- multiple times in one of the maps I had to restart because you can trap yourself (in many different ways) with no way out.

Like, I'm griping here, but it's still pretty fun.

...E2 starts with *another* E1M1 remake.

And you know what comes immediately after?  ANOTHER E1M1 remake.

AND YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT COMES AFTER THAT

Yes it is another E1M1 remake.

Now I know what you're thinking:  "Antnee, there is no possible way that the next map is another E1M1 remake"  And for a second, you might think the answer is "no" 

But the answer is yes.  Yes, yes, yes.

Spoiler alert:  The next level is also E1M1

Edited by Antnee

@Antnee

These efforts don't deserve the term remake. Someone just opened E1M1 in an editor and started changing things around. Probably struggling with the janky map editors they had at the time :D

There are tons of such stuff but it's weird that these found their way to a commercial product!!!

EDIT: Well, probably DoomEd 0.9 as I described earlier, that's the "Renegade Graphics Doom Editor"

16 minutes ago, VGA said:

@Antnee

These efforts don't deserve the term remake. Someone just opened E1M1 in an editor and started changing things around. Probably struggling with the janky map editors they had at the time :D

There are tons of such stuff but it's weird that these found their way to a commercial product!!!

EDIT: Well, probably DoomEd 0.9 as I described earlier, that's the "Renegade Graphics Doom Editor"

Yeah, you're right.  I mean I guess the people who compiled these thought "hey it might be cool to do an entire episode dedicated to E1M1".  So we've got that out of our system, right?

E3M1 is another E1M1

Mappack 3 is where the good stuff is.  I really wasn't impressed at all with the first two. 

That's enough for tonight, thanks OP for getting these out there!!

50 minutes ago, BrassKnight said:

Reminds me of Smiley Head's Safari for some reason.

Yeah, I also see the resemblance. Smiley Head was my shit back in the day.

So I am confused, are there any original WADs on these? Are those WADs known from elsewhere or are any previously unknown?

So I just found this bug in WADPAK3.wad in E2M2.

Here's a screenshot of a corridor filled with some monsters.

Screenshot_Doom_20181101_123129.png.aa506b446c10e0f3b64725671aa2b6e5.png

Now this is where the bug actually happens, so I step in closer and all the things suddenly disappeared expect the dead zombie right beside the pinky.

Screenshot_Doom_20181101_123132.png.6a09fe9ca8e15dd5b6c2fdf24d70ae5d.png

They didn't really disappeared but all of it is just invisible. You can still shoot solid objects and monsters.

Edited by BrassKnight

I have also noticed some glitches. It is either because the mapper screwed up and left sectors unclosed etc or it has to do with the primitive tools they had in their disposal. Bad node builder maybe.

Yep that hallways broke for me too.  A lot of things broke.  @Linguica I am not positive but I swear I have played some of these, long long ago.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the WADs. My dad mentions that he remembers storing more doom stuff in his attic back in the day, if he finds anymore I'll keep you guys posted. 

2 hours ago, reveilleun said:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the WADs. My dad mentions that he remembers storing more doom stuff in his attic back in the day, if he finds anymore I'll keep you guys posted. 

Thanks, Doom archaeology is a fun hobby!

im fairly avid a 1994 level player and resource collector hee so I recognised some of the maps in wadpak2 and most of the ones in 3. really nostalgic and cute plus I knew how to beat the levels :B but no sign of that duracell bunny, right?

10 minutes ago, yakfak said:

im fairly avid a 1994 level player and resource collector hee so I recognised some of the maps in wadpak2 and most of the ones in 3. really nostalgic and cute plus I knew how to beat the levels :B but no sign of that duracell bunny, right?

There is no bunny resource in any wad so there's no way it makes an appearance. False advertising!!

16 hours ago, Antnee said:

...E2 starts with *another* E1M1 remake.

And you know what comes immediately after?  ANOTHER E1M1 remake.

AND YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT COMES AFTER THAT

Yes it is another E1M1 remake.

Now I know what you're thinking:  "Antnee, there is no possible way that the next map is another E1M1 remake"  And for a second, you might think the answer is "no" 

But the answer is yes.  Yes, yes, yes.

Spoiler alert:  The next level is also E1M1

There's a part of me that's wondering if we're shortly going to see someone post this:

"Someone recently discovered a long-lost collections of Doom PWADs from the mid-90's and one of the episodes was a collection of E1M1 remakes. And you know what? They were bad. Really bad. It was classic 90's--yes, that bad. And did I mention, all E1M1? So, I got to thinking. Let's show how much we've learned in the past 25 years. This community project will be all about making E1M1 replacements. Yes, that's right! An entire megawad of E1M1 replacements! Let's prove everyone who thinks that it can't be done wrong!"

We'll see.

36 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Bunny is inside Cyberdemon's head and controls him.

Doomguy was Daisy all along!  She faked her own death and went on to kick demon ass.

I actually remember the daleks and energizer bunnies. The latter replaced sergeants back in the day. Who remembers Barney the Dinosaur replacing demons and specters?

Oh, and the E1M1 fiddle-jobs. I remember one with a black and white texture that resembled fireblu...  only black and white. Oh, and WARZONE.WAD with grey hex walls opening up into a super large area with trees and boss critters at the far, far, FAR end.

Plus, those sound replacement wads. The ones where demons laugh like a Jester, imps saying "hey, buddy - where's your tags?" And barons asking "Aaaare... you a god?" Only to tell "yeah!" When u kill them. Foreshadowing Doomslayer lore much?