Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reveilleun

"Doom Add-On Levels" A compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic

Had anyone found a way to this area without cheats? From wadpak1

etrn05.png

Edit: I just found it. Running through stairs from map's start opens doors for short time.

Edited by Rimantas

These kinds of shovelware items especially make me wish Greyghost were still around. Yeah it's tangentially related, but it's the first thing that came to mind. He mentioned having a few oddities like this in his collection.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, Blind Joe Death said:

It's like a 90's time capsule of bad map design. At first I thought this was some kind of hoax or something.

Yeah, I also thought that "an obscure compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic" sounded a little bit off. It's almost creepypasta material.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:55 PM, BrassKnight said:

Screenshot_Doom_20181101_071804.png.e57aa2ea11b6b4a661eb201f09515f97.png

Am I the only one who finds this map in this last screenshot familiar? Reminds me of Smiley Head's Safari for some reason.

I recognize the ship. I played this back in 2010 as part of a Jive compilation. Its ultimate origin is EVIL_E.

11 hours ago, kmxexii said:

I recognize the ship. I played this back in 2010 as part of a Jive compilation. Its ultimate origin is EVIL_E.

Are you saying that someone modified "Evil_E" into another level, keeping the ship? Or that this level is "Evil_E?"

I wonder if @TimeOfDeath666 or @joshthenesnerd recognize any of these maps, since they've both played through a number of the older Doom levels.

56 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Are you saying that someone modified "Evil_E" into another level, keeping the ship? Or that this level is "Evil_E?"

I wonder if @TimeOfDeath666 or @joshthenesnerd recognize any of these maps, since they've both played through a number of the older Doom levels.

I didn't download this to check but based on the map image of EVIL_E I'm pretty sure that the level in the pack is EVIL_E. I mean to say that I recognized it because of the ship; it's a distinct feature.

9 minutes ago, VGA said:

Why is there a "ship" in the middle of a small pool of water?

Whenever you see something like that in a Doom WAD, a 1994 wizard did it

55 minutes ago, kmxexii said:

a 1994 wizard did it

If you think back to the tools that were available in 1994, it should be amazing to everyone that anything complicated was successfully made. For all the young people on here that complain about something difficult in DB2, they should have to go back and use older editors like DETH, Deep, DCK, DEU, and WadEd (this is not an inclusive list), which were what was used for the classic megawads like the Scythes, the Momento Moris, Requiem, and others.

I'm still waiting for @Doomkid's follow-up video where he actually gets a group of the older editors to work.

Is it possible to find DoomED version 0.9? I only find 4.2 and another version in idgames.

Maybe a couple of mappers could use it to create an E1/E2 replacement with butchered E1M1s as a tribute and simultaneously a hoax on April 1st. "Look what I found in my attic" and a couple of floppies with photoshopped "Doomworld Inc. Doom addon levels - Not licensed by iD Software" lmao ... 

Acquainted with this discovery, I remembered something. For a long time, I had a badly damaged pirated CD with Doom, Doom 2, archives with tools and several archives with maps for both parts of Doom. The disc itself has long been lost, but my habit of making backups of everything I saved the almost all (it was hard, but I was very lucky). Looking through the screenshots, I immediately recognized the familiar outlines (especially that “dog”). How long has it been ...

When I was add favorite maps to my collection I was sure that this lost part of the story, but no. Everything was already on \idgames. Besides some things ... (I now need time to find them).

@reveilleun You don't mind if I ask about a hypothetically lost wads right here, or maybe somewhere on DW be a special thread?

Ah no, sorry, false alarm. For some reason, It seemed to me, Dawn of the Dead (dodead.wad) and SYD_1-3.wad don't present on \idgames. But no, they are ok.

Nevertheless, I have a bunch of ancient tools for creating maps (DEU II 1.0, WADED 1.42. etc). I am sure that all of them already exist somewhere on the Internet...

4 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Ah no, sorry, false alarm. For some reason, It seemed to me, Dawn of the Dead (dodead.wad) and SYD_1-3.wad don't present on \idgames. But no, they are ok.

Nevertheless, I have a bunch of ancient tools for creating maps (DEU II 1.0, WADED 1.42. etc). I am sure that all of them already exist somewhere on the Internet...

If these versions are not exactly the same on idgames, then you should upload them there. Many tools have been lost, or only specific versions of them remain. I did a search on idgames and there's only a newer version of Waded. And newer versions of DEU II (I think)

If you can't find the exact same files, then you should upload them on idgames or at least post them here.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:26 PM, Linguica said:

So I am confused, are there any original WADs on these? Are those WADs known from elsewhere or are any previously unknown?

The first one can be found on a lot of shovelware discs:

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/FOREST-WAD-ver-1-3

The other two I haven't seen anywhere else

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/0c8b48d6d0a4f3da54898ac190ff1acc

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/d1dc569242589deb016129b32e67a746

On 11/2/2018 at 4:43 PM, Quasar said:

Is it OK for me to add the photos from the first post to our collection on the wiki?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Shovelware_cover_art

sure. 

21 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Acquainted with this discovery, I remembered something. For a long time, I had a badly damaged pirated CD with Doom, Doom 2, archives with tools and several archives with maps for both parts of Doom. The disc itself has long been lost, but my habit of making backups of everything I saved the almost all (it was hard, but I was very lucky). Looking through the screenshots, I immediately recognized the familiar outlines (especially that “dog”). How long has it been ...

When I was add favorite maps to my collection I was sure that this lost part of the story, but no. Everything was already on \idgames. Besides some things ... (I now need time to find them).

@reveilleun You don't mind if I ask about a hypothetically lost wads right here, or maybe somewhere on DW be a special thread?

I don't mind. 

i've played the wadpaks... wadpaks and related compilations are soul sucking abominations and anyone who compiles them should be tied up and beaten.

That's pretty old school. Congratulations on the discovery. I might want to check out some of these maps, just for the nostalgia factor of a bygone era. 

Which maps are the best? If anyone has gone through these paks and encountered interesting maps, post them.

Played through them... well, most of them, I started out playing normally but the wads were getting worse and worse so i lost interest after beating the first chapters of the first wadpak, just glanced over the rest to find interesting stuff and this is what i found; Right off the bat you are greeted by bizzare texture choices, unaligned textures and random item placement, as you progress you notice that some of the maps seem familiar. Maybe because some of them are literally ripped from the original game and changed up a bit, the quality varies throughout the levels, some look like a year old's first wad and some seem like they've been made by a pro, so it's probably safe to assume they were stolen. Things get worse and worse, hard to find secrets that reward you with 2 armor pickups, areas that are obviously secret but unmarked, no exit switches, the key you need is placed in a secret area you can only find by wallhugging the entire sector. One of the maps is e1m4 and what's interesting is that the swastika appears not removen. Most importantly there is no skill progression, levels don't get any more difficult than they are. Some levels appear to be deathmatch maps with some monsters added in. Some require jumping and crouching some look like designed without jumping in mind. 

Anyway here are the highlights, maps that I didn't mention are just plain bad and don't have anything interesting in them

WADPAK1, the most forgettable one, all the maps suck ass and are low quality except for select few, here we go:

e2m1 has no exit

e3m1 has no exit 

e2m2 is probably the biggest map of them all, a lot of trees, unaligned textures, pitch black areas for no reason

e3m4 is one room with an exit that appears after you step on one of the platforms. Some enemies.

e3m6 is interesting and out of place, good quality except for the random pickups 

e3m8 is a boss fight, cyber demon in a room, around the cyberdemon is a staircase to heaven, after you climb it a door opens that you go through, kill some monsters get a key and exit.

Thy flesh consumed brings no new levels

WADPAK2:

e1m1 is e1m4 from original doom, adds a cyberdemon and more enemies

e1m3 is a big room with 4 switches to press while you get chased by a horde of spectres and a cyberdemon

e1m4 is similiar to the previous, only that you get a horde of demons, a couple chainsaws, a berserk pack and an exit switch in plain sight. Takes 3 seconds to beat if you run to the switch

e1m5. Again, a big sector with a door, behind it a corridor literally filled with monsters guarding an exit switch

e1m7 is e1m1 but with cyberdemons and soulspheres

e1m8 is e1m2 but with soulspheres, corridors  filled to brim with enemies and a spider mastermind in a small room blocking you from going further. Unbeatable without cheats 

e2m1 is e1m1 but refurnished

e2m2 is e1m1 but with bizzare textures

e2m3 is e1m1 with the creepiest possible textures and hanging bodies everywhere you look

e2m4 is e1m1 but heavily modified

e2m5 is e1m1 but heavily modified

e2m6 is e1m1 but heavily modified 

e2m7 is e1m1 but slightly modified

e2m8 is e1m1 but you spawn in the exit room with the exit switch next to you. takes less than a second to beat

e3m1 is e1m1 but modified, you start in the exit room again with the exit switch unremoved ( again )

e3m2 ends the e1m1 saga because it's e2m2 but with different textures

e3m3 is unchanged

e3m4 crashes the game for me

e3m5 is pitch black and you cant see anything

e3m6 is just corridors with a couple enemies

e3m7 is e3m1 but with wooden textures

e3m8 is e3m8 but without the cyberdemon

WADPAK3 ( the most interesting one of them all probably ):

Has custom music, custom hud and custom textures, probably all ripped from some mod but I don't have enough doom knowledge to know what this thing originaly was but it feels familiar to me, chapters include Invasion, Hades house of horrors ( the only chapter with different font and blue colour ), Inferno, Thy flesh consumed.

Basically it's hades house of horrors, from what I gather there were only 2 levels made so i assume that after the first 2 the rest are random ( ? ) Each level has custom classical music midis ( including "In the Hall of the Mountain King" and other i cannot identify )

e2m5 is literally a map from the first wadpak 

e2m7 has gigantic halls with some enemies

e2m8 is a big city with a blood fountain in the middle.

I have mixed feelings about those wads, it made me wonder who the hell made these and thought to himself " yeap that'll be good ", maybe someone just took random wads and threw them together without even testing them ? Most importantly OP's dad got ripped the hell off. I also got some screenshots but if you're that curious you might aswell play the wads yourself, nothing mind blowing, just utter crap.

I had a look at these three WADs.

1) WADPAK1 is the original version of WADPAK1A on /idgames, released three months earlier. IIRC the only difference between the two is some bugfixes on E1M9 (TEK).

2) WADPAK2 is mostly modified id levels. The originals are:

E1M2 AA22
E1M3 COMBAT E1M3
E1M4 COMBAT E1M1
E1M5 COMBAT E1M2
E1M6 DRAGON12

E3M6 E1M1ED

The internal demos (v1.2) are from COMBAT. Since this compilation jumbles up the order of the levels only DEMO3 will play properly.

3) WADPAK3's original levels:

E1M1 MEGALAB
E1M5 GOTCHA3
E1M6 INVADE1
E1M7 SR21
E1M8 LEDGES2

E2M1 HHH-21
E2M2 CASTLE (castleas.zip)
E2M3 WAD
E2M4 777
E2M5 FORTRESS (dmfort.zip)
E2M6 WEDGE
E2M7 WALKER
E2M8 DEADBASE

E3M1 LEGEND2 (LEGEND E1M2)
E3M2 RIKER11
E3M3 PROCESSR

The internal demos are from INVADE1. Since that was released as E1M1 none of them will play back properly.

Curiously, E2 is a rip-off of the EP5A compilation found on plenty WAD CD-ROMs, only without the first map (MEGALAB) and the rest of the levels' numbers bumped down accordingly.

SR21 is the only original still not on /idgames.

P.S. the info:noise ratio of this thread is appalling.