Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reveilleun

"Doom Add-On Levels" A compilation floppy disc of WAD's I found in my dads attic

On 11/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, VGA said:

Which maps are the best? If anyone has gone through these paks and encountered interesting maps, post them.

WP1:

E1M3	HUH   
E1M4	FOREST E2M1		(v2.1)
E1M5	FOREST E2M2		(v2.1)
E1M6	FOREST E2M3		(v2.1)
E1M7	EVIL_E  
E1M8	FORTRESS		(dmfort.zip on /idgames)

E2M3	11BONES 
E2M5	666			(666EPIS E3M6 on /idgames)
E2M6	CORTYR_B
E2M8	MEGAWATT		(megapack.zip on /idgames)

E3M1	STONES
E3M6	OCTAGON

WP3:

E1M1 MEGALAB		(megapack.zip on /idgames)
E1M6 INVADE1

E2M1 HHH-21
E2M3 WAD
E2M4 777		(666EPIS E3M7 on /idgames)
E2M6 WEDGE
E2M8 DEADBASE		(wstland.zip E2M1 on /idgames)

E3M3 PROCESSR

Note that WP3 stops at E3M3 -- so much for the "70+ levels" claim on the packaging.

There's little of interest for the general public in WP2 except possibly E1M4 (COMBAT E1M1), which is a short Tyson challenge.

And if you haven't played the originals (except for HUH.WAD, it appears to be lost in the mists of time) you'd do best to track them down individually rather than playing these compilations. Some of the levels were released on a particular map slot because of the music or the sky associated with it. Some WADs replaced graphics which didn't make it into the compilations and without which the maps lose much of their ambience (e.g. FOREST). And vice versa: the INVADE1 graphics in WP3 are an eyesore on any other map that happens to use the same textures INVADE1 replaced.

Here is a shortlist of indisputable classics for ppl with little time:

CORTYR_B
DEADBASE
INVADE1
MEGAWATT
STONES

Each of these was already a legend in 1994.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:55 PM, BrassKnight said:

Screenshot_Doom_20181101_071804.png.e57aa2ea11b6b4a661eb201f09515f97.png

Am I the only one who finds this map in this last screenshot familiar? Reminds me of Smiley Head's Safari for some reason.

EVIL_E.WAD I just love this one, there's something so ... different ... about it. It was one of the first PWADs I played back in 1995 and I still occasionally play it 25 years later! I think it's the fact that some imagination went into this, plus it has a mix of themes so it isn't too boring.

Now that you mention it, I did play that map about a year ago when I was scouring the WAD compilation CD's.