Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sparky_KISS

Are over-sized flats possible?

The REAL Sparky is back !!!
Please stand up... please stand up...

I'm in the process of making a remake of Doom2's MAP01 which is 8 times the volume of the original (all dimmensions doubled in size).
I've got all the wide/tall texture patches into the wad (okay with ZDoom and Legacy), but I'm stuck with the 128x128 flats.

My questions are:
a) can any of the source ports handle non-standard flats
(i.e. bigger than 64x64)?
b) if so, what utility can I use to get them into a wad?
(I've already tried DeuTex, WinTex and NWT).
c) Walnut Creek disappeared while I was gone.
Is a remake of an id map still illegal in the new archive?
(I notice wads with id sprites and stuff are being accepted now)

Thanks in advance,

Sparky
KISS Software

Sparky_KISS said:

Is a remake of an id map still illegal in the new archive?
(I notice wads with id sprites and stuff are being accepted now)

Thanks in advance,

Sparky
KISS Software

UM lets See ......... NO!!!!!!!!

Whoa! It's the Sparky!

I think ZDoom 2.0 will be able to use flat bigger than 64x64, but AFAIK it will simply scale them down to 64x64 (allowing high res flats).

Heh, I always thought that other sparky was someone else... your old posts weren't illiterate like his and his fondness of commercial releases is odd.

I don't think any engine can do that, but it wouln't be too hard for you to split your flats in 4 and split your map into a mosaic of sectors (it would be more work, but it would still be possible given source engines' relative lack of limits.)

The archives still have the "no id-based maps" policy. But I think your re-sized map should be acceptable. From what I know, that policy is there to disuade people from uploading multitudes of id-variants that bastardize the originals, your idea doesn't seem to fit that type, in my opinion. I'm sure if you explain Ty will allow it.