Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chuckphd53

Doom Builder 2 AddOn's

Hey....Old but New back into doom after 30 yrs.....

I have DoomBuilder 2.1.3.10 installed and noticed on some of the youtube videos

that there seems to be more controls on the taps or editing that is presented in the video.

such as there are many more controls to set door open / close times / duration.

I wondered if this was a different version of doombulder II or if it was an add on...

Seems my version is very vanilla.  While I have included a couple addons, stairs, and cut and paste items.

I still see a big benefit from the in-depth control features I am seeing on these video presentations..

thanks

Chuck

the top bar and all the icons are that of the Doom Builder product.....

that is why I am confused,

Just downloaded GZDoom bulider and it looks promising.....

I will take a look seems to have ALOT more..

thanks to all...  will give it a try....

Chuck

1 hour ago, chuckphd53 said:

I wondered if this was a different version of doombulder II or if it was an add on...

thanks

Chuck

Indeed, yours is an ancient editor installation.

Since then, this editor has been upgraded significantly .

The editor was set up to incorporate a plugin system, and there are some plugins, which enhance the editing experience, not included with the public release. For example:

r17AaCb.png

that is strange I have searched for a recent version of the Doom Builder II but could only find my current version. hence I figured it was not being

developed anymore..

so I guess the GZDoom that I just downloaded is the most used and current ?

also is there a link for any special 'ADD-ON's that most folks like or use ?

Again apologize, it's been 30+ years since I made doom maps, but this is sooooo much better then DEU    :)

Appreciate the help..

Links to the editors are provided by clicking on the images in my tutorial :)

For x32, some plugins can be found here .

Some can be found at boris's github page .

Also, scour the ZDOOM forum with an advanced search

2vMcQPI.png

If you use the x64 version of GZDBBF, then use the 64ified versions of the plugins, also in the search.

By the way, if you are interested, all my tutorials are linked in the Tutorials section

Edited by Kappes Buur

Thanks...., all these quick replies are great, thanks folks..

One last question......Unrelated....

I found that making a section with 'things' is they ten to kill each other when they are woken up....

this does not make sense, kinda makes the players job easy, just excite the devils and walk away...takes the 'play' element out of the game...

what am I missing..

Depends on mapping format, but you mostly need "ambush"flag for monsters and some sound blocking lines. 

Yeah, they are just "infighting", if you place a monster behind another and they are alerted by you and the monster behind hits the other with a projectile, they will start fighting each other.

They've always done this, it just doesn't happen all the time.

Misty....

my editor  GZDoom builder , under the THINGS does not have an Ambush Flag..

IS there a PlugIn to get more THING Options ?

Also I read about the  'noinfighting' that can be used...but can it be built into the MAP and not the Game options , so it works for others ?

and I did not find any indepth info on using the 'noinfighting' option...

Learning Curves are Fun...

Chuck

Edited by chuckphd53 : Update:

What mapping format do you use?Maybe it will make more clear what are you after. 

Like doom2 in doom format or doom 2 in gzdoom udmf. It should be written below in builder window. 

oh...ugh......I use GZDoom editor

Resources :     ZDoom ( Doom  in Doom format)

Edited by chuckphd53 : update

So the editors can be a little confusing.  Doom Builder was the first, but since then other people have taken the editor and made a new and improved version with a slightly different name.  They go:

• Doom Builder 2
  • GZDoomBuilder
  • GZDoomBuilder_BugFix

Don't be fooled by the name, GZDB_BF (like GZDB) are for all Doom mapping, not just GZDoom.

Don't worry about the whole plugin thing, most people don't use any kind of plugins.  GZDB_BF comes with 99% of the features you're likely to use until you're really advanced.

When Misty asked you about format, the reason is because GZDB_BF has different options and windows depending on the format you choose.  There are three different elements to a Doom map: the base game (Doom 1, Doom 2, Hexen etc.), the map format (there are three: Doom (the original), Hexen (a slightly advanced version of Doom) and UDMF, which is a new and much more advanced version that only works on a few source ports), and the source port you're targeting (e.g. vanilla, Boom, GZDoom etc.).  When you start making a map, you have to pick which game configuration you want.  E.g. "GZDoom: Doom 2 (UDMF)" means you're targeting GZDoom as the source port, the game is Doom 2, and the map format is UDMF.

As for your question about monsters fighting each other, do they instantly begin fighting, or do they like begin fighting after a while?  

great info....   I am using GZDoom Builder V2.3.0.2787 so I believe this is the latest....

Again....and you guys have been great, so thanks for the help, my only goal is to make some maps for Doom2

but that can be played on other machines, so any features in the map would have to be included in the .WAD 

( this is correct ?  Hope I am thinking of this the right way !)

I am a bit confused, under the GAME CONFIGURATIONS,

Resources(tab)  I am using the standard doom2.wad that is included with the DOOM 2 disk...

Testing (tab) .

Q: the engine..... should I use the standard Doom95 engine  also ?

also I have watched a number of youtube Doom builder videos, and found that while it looks like most are using Doom build
some version of another, the Line/Thing edit windows on some, seem to have these 'extra' options to choose from.

such as DELAY, MOVEMENT SPEED, etc....  that does not show up as options in this editor.

As I mentioned earlier, my biggest issue in building a map is to have the dang monsters fight an kill each other,

I understand 'Friendly fire' if they get in the way, but to turn on each other.... this takes away the 'players' need
to kill them and hence the game play diminishes....player can just sit back and wait.....not a good game play  IMO.

So I am still looking for a way to keep the monsters from turning on each other......

Thanks Bauul for the insight...

Chuck

4 minutes ago, chuckphd53 said:

great info....   I am using GZDoom Builder V2.3.0.2787 so I believe this is the latest...

It's old version of gzdoom builder. You need gzdoom builder bugfix for more stable mapping experience. 

Mostly "ambush player", sound blocking lines and some obstacles like traps can work for preventing monsters to shoot you premature way or infight. Also zdoom udmf has flag "dormant", it will stand ignoring you and you can tag(I mean put number on it) any monster and will only activate with special action line crossing or using same action pressing switch.

But even after activation, monsters will infight unless you use single type of monsters, like imps or mancubus.

Infighting is core of Doom gameplay, no neeed to worry about it. 

Also, you can just use script, what you mentioned is scripting and mostly Decorate stuff. 

Ah good 'nugget' Single Type of monster, I will try that...

also are you saying I should use GZDoom engine 3.6.0 and not the doom95 ?

I looked at the Bugfix and Norton antivirus is kicking it's butt......as with other Doom files that I have to work around.....ugh..

what exactly is the bugfix all about ?

thanks Misty..

It's maintenance branch of old gzdoom builder, because original author left. Bugfix version is most updated one for now. It's the same one as you use it, but with most errors and problems fixed. 

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/

You can use ports compatible with that format. Like zdoom in udmf can use zdoom, zandronum and gzdoom as test engines. 

Yep Misty is spot on, GZDB_BF is the latest version. It's not the most intuitive name I know, but that's the most up to date.

Also, to your question:

2 hours ago, chuckphd53 said:

the Line/Thing edit windows on some, seem to have these 'extra' options to choose from.

See my reply earlier:

21 hours ago, Bauul said:

When Misty asked you about format, the reason is because GZDB_BF has different options and windows depending on the format you choose.

There are lots of different engines to play Doom with. The original .exe doesn't work on modern PCs, so you need a more advanced version. Doom95, that you say you're using, is a pretty poor choice (it has a few very weird things about it). Crispy Doom is probably the closest thing to it, being a pure version of Doom just with higher res (plus some other options). PrBoom+ is one step higher, then you have the really advanced ports like Edge, Eternity and GZDoom, which is the most popular today.

In "Game Configuration" in the GZDB_BF preferences menu you'll see all these listed, along with the game and map format (see my earlier post). If I were you, I'd try all the source ports to see which you prefer, and then make a map for that source port.

On the subject of your monsters attacking each other, can you give us more information: are they literally immediately turning on each other without you even being there, or are they being hit by their fellow monsters in the firefight and turning on them in anger? The latter is perfectly fine, it's called in-fighting and is a major part of Doom gameplay. The former is a serious issue and shouldn't happen at all.

Perhaps send us a video so we can see exactly?

I have switched to the GZDoom engine...( the light bulb turned on finally)  hey, it's been 30yrs  :)

as far as the monsters attacking, if I stir the nest, they will turn on each other, but as Misty mentioned, they are sometimes Mixed monsters...

but now thinking back I have a nest of imps that seem to be ok with each other.   So I think, as Misty alluded to, keeping the same type together should be the solution.... 

I understand the Friendly Fire, getting in way of each other, that makes sense...   but I had a Cacodemon that was wiping out the others....

so as you mentioned it is the latter, 'fellow monsters in the firefight and turning on them in anger'

good stuff...thanks...

chuck

just FYI I just downloaded GZDoom builder .3039  and it seems to get stuck on the BOOM: Doom even if I uncheck the resource box....hmmmm 

it asks for resources for BOOM......  bug ???

Press f6 and check what kind of formats you're checked for mapping. Also here you can link testing programs. 

its all good....sorry.....I am still getting use to the conf tabs...  had to 'delete' the BOOM: resource...it's fine.... :)

one other question...

on the THING  properties   EDIT THING .....

what does the AMBUSH PLAYERS do ?     and is there a doc that talks about these setting and others

GOT IT...Wiki Doom had a really good writeup on the monsters activity... :)

Edited by chuckphd53 : update

Since you guys are talking about editor pluggins do you have any recommendations for the best pluggins for gzdoom builder? I am interested but am not sure what to install.

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Since you guys are talking about editor pluggins do you have any recommendations for the best pluggins for gzdoom builder? I am interested but am not sure what to install.

plugins bundled with the editor:

1. AutomapMode.dll
  2. BuilderEffects.dll
  3. BuilderModes.dll
  4. ColorPicker.dll
  5. CommentsPanel.dll
  6. NodesViewer.dll
  7. SoundPropagationMode.dll
  8. StairSectorBuilder.dll
  9. TagExplorer.dll
  10. TagRange.dll
  11. VisplaneExplorer.dll

separate plugins:

1. DrawText.dll
  2. HeightLevels.dll
  3. Lighting.dll
  4. MapBalancer.dll
  5. ThreeDFloorMode.dll

With ThreeDFloorMode.dll the most important if you map with 3D structures in mind.