Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Shape

(Halloween.wad) I have an amazing idea for a wad but I need help making it

I'm looking for someone who can help me make a wad, I have an idea and I really would like to make it a reality. 

I'm kinda new to Slade and Doom Builder. I kinda know the jist of Doom Builder, but I'm lost with Slade. I need help with making the maps, textures, and maybe the sprites.

So basically the wad is the film Halloween (the one from 1978, but what inspired me to do this was the new film). You play as Michael Myers and really the only weapon I had in mind was a kitchen knife. But I also had an idea where the melee attack should have you grabbing people by the throat and choking them. I'm still coming up with ideas for the levels but I thought the first level should start off in Smith's Grove and you break out like Michael did in the movie. The levels would pretty much be parts from the movie. 

So far the only thing I have made for the mod is the HUD sprite which is my profile picture.

If not knowing how to use Slade is the only problem you have, your best bet is to just ask about specific things that you want to know, that way you won't need to rely on anyone for future mods.

Alright, how do I: change the head in the HUD, replace the textures, add new monsters (but some are normal and don't hurt you and others are police officers who shoot at you, kinda like the monsters in Ghostbusters Doom), change the picture behind the main menu, add original weapons, and add original music?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Status_bar_face

Find the graphics that start with STF for the face

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

Create a new text lump and rename it ZMAPINFO, then type

map MAP01 "Your Map Name"
{
 next = MAP02
 sky1 = SKY1
 music = <your music>
}

Repeat that process for each map and assign a specific sound track for each map.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

This will help with monsters and weapons and such.

All of the above are only for ZDoom and its child ports (save the status bar face, that's across all ports).

If you're aiming for Boom or vanilla-compat, you'll need to find the sprites in the IWAD for the weapon/monster you want to replace and rename your sprites so they match those (in your wad, not the IWAD).

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Status_bar_face

Find the graphics that start with STF for the face

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

Create a new text lump and rename it ZMAPINFO, then type

map MAP01 "Your Map Name"
{
 next = MAP02
 sky1 = SKY1
 music = <your music>
}

Repeat that process for each map and assign a specific sound track for each map.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

This will help with monsters and weapons and such.

All of the above are only for ZDoom and its child ports (save the status bar face, that's across all ports).

If you're aiming for Boom or vanilla-compat, you'll need to find the sprites in the IWAD for the weapon/monster you want to replace and rename your sprites so they match those (in your wad, not the IWAD).

How do I make a song for Doom though? Is there a certain program I have to use? Also, I believe I'm using GZDoom (or at least I think, all of this is very confusing to me being that I'm more of a visual learner)

i made one like that! it was a Jason vs Micheal map:

halloween.zip

(i would like to help but i'm making another project so maybe if i have time i will)

Edited by Thedoctor989

It's weird seeing yourself listed in the same sentence as a bunch of Doom musicians you respect and enjoy the work of, heh. Anyways, check out the program Sekaiju if you have interest in MIDI composition. Alfonzo and I would both recommend it.

I personally use Anvil Studios when, and if, I compose, a pretty limited MIDI composer now that I look at it, but it's fairly user friendly and good if you want to create something basic.

4 hours ago, NaZa said:

I personally use Anvil Studios when, and if, I compose, a pretty limited MIDI composer now that I look at it, but it's fairly user friendly and good if you want to create something basic.

as long as I can make the soundtrack from Halloween with it. Also, do I need a midi piano to use it?

Edited by The_Shape

I'm stuck on something, I cannot figure out how to get Slade to make a WAD file instead of a Zip or Pk3. What do I do?

1 hour ago, The_Shape said:

as long as I can make the soundtrack from Halloween with it. Also, do I need a midi piano to use it?

I'm sure it could be possible. As for piano, no. You can insert notes with either your PC keyboard (Q is middle C iirc) or the keyboard in the GUI of the software.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, The_Shape said:

I'm stuck on something, I cannot figure out how to get Slade to make a WAD file instead of a Zip or Pk3. What do I do?

In the upper left corner there are two buttons: one with an "A" and another one with a "Z". When you hover your cursor over them, a message will say "New Wad Archive" and "New Zip Archive", respectively. BTW, if you're using GZDoom I recommend you use ZIP/PK3 files instead of WADs. You can create directories on them and it's usually easier to organize stuff in, espacially if you're planning to add a lot of things.

@The_Shape Hey so what would you like me to do here? I want to do some shit to your mod to make it and do it with SLADE 3 since you're not good with it. Can you send me what you've got so far?

On 11/16/2018 at 7:58 AM, Thedoctor989 said:

i made one like that! it was a Jason vs Micheal map:

halloween.zip

(i would like to help but i'm making another project so maybe if i have time i will)

It's not a bad wad.

But it isn't gonna be on my top 20 wads list if I ever make one.

Basically, I'm saying it's not so bad that it's unplayable, I'm saying it has so much potential that wasn't used. If you wish, I can help make a better version of it!

JASOJ0.gif

3 hours ago, Thedoctor989 said:

sure you can make a new version! it was really a practice wad so i could get the basics of Decorate and Custom content!

Alright! but I am not really sure when I can

On 11/19/2018 at 11:21 PM, Chezza said:

@The_Shape Unrelated to Doom but it would appear you would enjoy this scene from the game Dead by Daylight.

As a matter of fact, I just got this game and bought the Shape DLC