Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Nightdive Teasing Blood

26 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

passwords for servers

Passwords for servers won't happen, Steam and GOG Galaxy need to be the ones to implement the initial support for it, they currently don't which means there's no way to prevent a user from joining any lobby they choose. As of writing, the only lobby API that supports passwords is actually Xbox Live.

Just bought it to support the developers. So far so good! Love the new difficulty settings and 3D mode. I hope you will make your own old school shooter one day. 

P.S Please convice Bethesda/Id to make your Doom 64 port official.

4 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Someone has made a video of various issues too.

That was a pretty cool video, I didn't notice most of these things (since I didn't look for them in the first place).

I did notice the register secret thing though, but I can confirm that it can be triggered multiple times. It's just that after the first attempt it becomes much more difficult to trigger it for some reason.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Passwords for servers won't happen, Steam and GOG Galaxy need to be the ones to implement the initial support for it, they currently don't which means there's no way to prevent a user from joining any lobby they choose. As of writing, the only lobby API that supports passwords is actually Xbox Live.

Friends only servers, then

Also a player limit

I imagine Nigthdive will attempt to patch the game to make it even more accurate.

3 hours ago, Vermil said:

I imagine Nigthdive will attempt to patch the game to make it even more accurate.

Most inaccuracies do seem to be either oversights or plain bugs, so they'll most definitely get ironed out eventually.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, Edward850 said:

That's hardware/driver failure, userland software can't do that even if it tried. You'll want to start inspecting your drivers and hardware. And I do mean that seriously, Kernel panics can be a symptom and precursor of serious faults like eventual hard-disk failure, that shit is not to be taken casually.

I'll have a check on the disk.  I'm using the laptop variant GTX1060 with the latest drivers, so not much I can do there if something's failing. Either way, I have had no BSODs with this machine that I can remember, so no offence but I hope you're wrong!  Thanks for all your effort with the port anyway, hope it sells well for you and helps an underrated game reach a wider audience.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:06 PM, Pegg said:

Frendlier flaregun aim? It was already seeking anything on screen, Must be crazy lol. (Unless you mean fixing the bug where it hits below\infront of elevated enemies)

Yeah, the original was always fussy with flares fired at an enemy along a vertical slope.

One thing i've noticed a lot of is enemies locked into animations running or flying in tight circles. The third episode boss for me did nothing but spin on the spot for 60 seconds straight while i spammed tesla shots at it. Gargoyles and those grim reaper guys seemed to enjoy bouncing hard into the ceiling constantly, sometimes getting trapped in corners. I don't know blood very well so is this a known behaviour with the game or a port inaccuracy?

53 minutes ago, koren said:

The third episode boss for me did nothing but spin on the spot for 60 seconds straight while i spammed tesla shots at it.

Is that Cerberus (the two-headed, fire-breathing dog)? If so, I remember that happening to me once in the original game. I think there's something weird going on with the geometry where it's standing on.

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Why is that? I was under the assumption even P2P connections could be password protected to prevent incorrect passwords from joining you? How do other P2P games handle it? How did older games handle it?

Also, I really hope its possible this comes to Switch after it gets some updates. That would be fan-fucking-tastic.

Edited by wheresthebeef

He mentioned something about the difficulty as well.

I'm really starting to wonder if there really is something going on there. When I first played FS on Lightly Broiled I got completely destroyed by Cultists, as if their damage output was higher than what I was experiencing in DOSBox. Ironically he mentioned Cultists going easier on higher difficulty settings than that but anyway, that gives me some suspicions.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

Why is that? I was under the assumption even P2P connections could be password protected to prevent incorrect passwords from joining you? How do other P2P games handle it? How did older games handle it?

P2P connections have no relevance to lobby passwords. The lobby is the initial point of contact, not arbitrary player connections (that would be really awful if it was, hell you usually can't even initiate a connection until you are both in the same lobby). 

As for how older games do it, simply they aren't using Steam/GOG's matchmaking services, and had a password solution in their initial point of connection. We do use Steam/GOG and thus no password solution. 

And before you ask "why not just put the password in the netcode itself" because that doesn't remove the player from the session. All that would mean is someone could join the lobby and hog the slot while simply not providing a password, that would be a really dumb thing to do. 

Edited by Edward850

Honestly, as a new Blood player (only tried a couple of levels in other source ports then waited for a remaster) I fail to notice all these apparently glaring flaws that are making people switch back to GDX and NBlood. In fact, mouselook finally doesn't feel like ass, which is a big plus in my books. Is it really as bad as people all over the place are making it out to be? :/

12 minutes ago, ScreechingBoner said:

Honestly, as a new Blood player (only tried a couple of levels in other source ports then waited for a remaster) I fail to notice all these apparently glaring flaws that are making people switch back to GDX and NBlood. In fact, mouselook finally doesn't feel like ass, which is a big plus in my books. Is it really as bad as people all over the place are making it out to be? :/

I haven't played the remaster myself yet, but I don't think the issues will be too terrible for newcomers. For us however, the guys who've been playing the game for ages, those things can be extremely annoying because we know the game like the back of our hands.

1 hour ago, ScreechingBoner said:

I think the complaints are pretty much that it isn't perfect just yet, not necessarily that its a broken mess.

If you've played a lot of Doom and there's a port/release that is 90+% faithful, that little bit that isn't perfect is going to stick out.

I would personally recommend this for newcomers.

59 minutes ago, ScreechingBoner said:

Imagine playing some Doom levels that you know perfectly. And seeing weird things, like some enemy sounds being too low, some doors not automatically closing after the first time etc.

Anyway, I bought it, it was so cheap. I hope the obvious bugs will be fixed. The weird thing is that I am semi-experienced in Blood but I'm not sure what glitches the original DOS version had. It had a lot!

The good thing is that you don't have to worry about RoR graphics and physics glitches with Blood FS

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Huh? Does that mean that no game that uses Steamworks has private lobbies?

I didn't fiddle with it but does that mean that you can't create a non-public lobby and invite Steam friends to it?

4 minutes ago, VGA said:

I didn't fiddle with it but does that mean that you can't create a non-public lobby and invite Steam friends to it?

Many Steamworks games have an option to set your lobby to private/friends/invite only, in fact. Take Borderlands series (except the Telltale one) and Dead Island, for instance.

9 minutes ago, VGA said:

Private lobbies are possible, sure. The subject here was explicitly just passwords. :P

20 hours ago, Edward850 said:

What about adding an option to make a server invisible and have friends join via the ipconnect command? In fact, is there a command to turn off server display? That would be the most simple solution imo. Just have a command like serverdisplay 0 and have friends connect via ipconnect, without having to turn off GOG Galaxy, or Steam. 

Edited by Shiznown

1 hour ago, Shiznown said:

What about adding an option to make a server invisible and have friends join via the ipconnect command? In fact, is there a command to turn off server display? That would be the most simple solution imo. Just have a command like serverdisplay 0 and have friends connect via ipconnect, without having to turn off GOG Galaxy, or Steam. 

You seem to be confusing something here, games that a joinable via the connectip console command aren't visible via Steam or GOG matchmaking already because they aren't even on matchmaking. If you can join it via connectip, that means it's a direct IP game run via the spawnipserver command, which isn't hosted on any service.

If you want private lobbies that aren't visible publicly but still using the Steam/GOG services, that's just private lobbies, and I'm already working on that.

5 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You seem to be confusing something here, games that a joinable via the connectip console command aren't visible via Steam or GOG matchmaking already because they aren't even on matchmaking. If you can join it via connectip, that means it's a direct IP game run via the spawnipserver command, which isn't hosted on any service.

If you want private lobbies that aren't visible publicly but still using the Steam/GOG services, that's just private lobbies, and I'm already working on that.

Oooh, okay. Great news! There is a bug that I'm not sure you guys have been told about, but when my friends and I load up Cryptic Passage to play in either Blood Bath or Coop, our health jumps to 1600. My only other question is, will there be a supported level editor in the near future? Also, thanks for the fast reply. 

The new BETA patch sounds good! A good chunk of what I consider legitimate complaints is addressed in the changelog. Great job guys.

16 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

I think the complaints are pretty much that it isn't perfect just yet, not necessarily that its a broken mess.

If you've played a lot of Doom and there's a port/release that is 90+% faithful, that little bit that isn't perfect is going to stick out.

I would personally recommend this for newcomers.

on 4chans /vr/ board everyone there is calling it an 'unplayable broken cash grab'...

but y'know, its 4chan. its just full of elitists who wants to look cool for not liking something.

the fact that this port has an FOV slider and an actual great feeling mouse already makes this port the best one in my opinion

23 minutes ago, kaleb. said:

on 4chans /vr/ board everyone there is calling it an 'unplayable broken cash grab'...

but y'know, its 4chan. its just full of elitists who wants to look cool for not liking something.

the fact that this port has an FOV slider and an actual great feeling mouse already makes this port the best one in my opinion

Or purists, another problem. These people will never accept anything less than a 1:1 remake, 100% accuracy, or something very close to that goal. It's good to know the inaccuracies, differences, and maybe other issues, if you really want to, but those are the kind of people that will never be pleased. Besides, the issues will be ironed out eventually.

Talking about the FOV, it is pretty strange once you go beyond 90 from my experience. Everything looks really far away. 90 is best from my experience. 3D aiming is stellar too, especially when compared to the standard Build engine.

Spoiler

I'm also doing a let's play of FS if anyone wants to see it in action, how it works, and maybe some random thoughts or whatever. I'm putting this in a spoiler because I am aware not everyone is interested.

Edited by seed

Aw, Cryptic Passage seems broken on my computer.  Texture and geometry glitches all over the place. I bought the GoG one as well so I can't try the beta yet.

Anyone else having problems (you have to load up Cryptic Passage from the user maps option)?

@seed totally agree on aiming. Vertical aim is SO much nicer in this version.   Pleased to find out you can turn off the build-engine style skewing mouselook as well.

2 hours ago, holaareola said:

Anyone else having problems (you have to load up Cryptic Passage from the user maps option)?

I haven't tried it yet but you can load Cryptic Passage through the 'Addons' menu while in-game. Presumably it'll show as an episode then?