Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Memento Mori 2

On 11/9/2018 at 8:10 AM, vdgg said:

I don't know the odds, but let's say in Frustration the player can walk under the open door about 1/3 of the time? There in Cleimos it was like 1/6.

The trick involves merging a sector with another which is adjacent to a sector with a crusher. So the door opens up as much as is allowed depending on the crusher vertical position.

Interesting. This brings me another doubt about map 03 in Vae Victus where a blue hinted door wouldn't open because of a crusher or something, and I think maybe there's a relation with what you explained. Thank you!

MAP09: Sabbath Sewer

First off, great midi as usual. Major points in visuals are the starting city-ish area, the moon shaped reflect on the floor near the uhh somewhere, and the snail shaped stairs for a bit of precise running. Also the red section, which isn't hellish in any form. The gameplay was decent specially in the watery area (but, instapops!) and the invul setup combined with barrels, but sometimes unappealing and boring, like way too many hordes of pinkies/spectres in general, with a chainsaw trap that was about sticking in the corner where they couldn't get to you (there's a similar situation in a latter map). The secret hunting is the best part if you nail the wall-humping task. There's an unusual trick with a teleport pad you have to take six times to open up a new corridor, what is the deal with it?. Anyways, bland map overall. 

LOL at that shy pain elemental.

8 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

oh that makes some sense, but why not just make the ceiling in the same place at the start, rather than have it move upwards at a later point?

Maybe he liked the visual design with the roof lowered as you come down the stairs and get a peek at the room (rather than seeing it all at once).  Maybe he was worried players would just drop down behind the switch they need, flick it, and then leg it up the stairs - which would mean the caco pens would only open as you were actually leaving, not as you approached the switch.  It's still possible to run away as-is, mind you, but it would be even easier that way.  Or maybe he did it because it would make you less likely to notice that he forgot to change the flat on top of the switch.

... okay, it's probably not that last one :)

MAP11

It definitely feels to me like the 'start in hell' plotline has been more or less forgotten by this point, as we're in tech base town once again: in particular, that old favourite of nukage tunnels.

The first half of this map is definitely the stronger, with some genuinely pressing combat situations and a high monster density. I'm glad I'm not tackling it from pistol start though, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of resources around the place.

For me, the level loses steam at the "Alien" tunnels where you go looking for the red key. These are bland locations, stocked with monsters that don't really threaten you with anything except boredom. The early dynamism is lost. The action picks up a bit with the final area, as there are enough imps to give you quite a few fireballs to think about, but the visual tedium certainly doesn't.

Pointless goatboys at the exit are pointless.

MAP11

Continuing on the theme from the last map, we find ourselves in an underground network of sludge and nukage. The level as a whole looks nice enough and once again I like the gritty textures in the sludge tunnels. Yes, it is somewhat bland, but it works here. However, I'll echo @Capellan's points, the gameplay was definitely stronger in the first half. I even got killed by the bastard chaingunners in the yellow key closet while my back was turned unaware dealing with the stragglers coming off the lift. The biggest challenge by far comes after said lift, where there are hell knights and a PE flanked by a shitload of imps. Fucking lost souls, I swear the fucker took like 30% off.  After this come the big long tunnels, which IMO are far too long and drawn out for the few clusters of imps that inhabit them. The imps in the backpack secret are just ludicrous, I mean what is the point of putting opposition behind a wall with 2 tiny holes? 

The red key trap was just worthless. Even more worthless was the lone Baron cowering behind the corner whom I discovered after clearing everyone else out. The penultimate area brings the action back with imps, pigs and chaingunners flanking you with the added pressure of rad suit timing. The teleporter sequence was annoying though, but in general I don't like those as I find them disorienting and tedious af.  The finale can basically be skipped without any risk whatsoever. 

MAP01 - “Outpost” by Denis Möller

even having played through the early levels of MM2 several times, i really couldn't really remember anything about this map past the opening little scene. there are really so many portals and churches in these early episodes - they're definitely going hard into that theme. other than that, it's an adequate opener but not particularly memorable to me at all. i do love that all these early maps are hell-themed while the later maps are city themed, though - it's a great inversion of the usual (stale) tropes of having hell maps at the end and i think what makes MM2 often fresh for me to come back to.

MAP02 - “The Feeding Pit” by David Davidson

thankfully this map is much more memorable than Map01, with the point of no return at the very beginning, to the hub-spokey layout with a different quirky encounter around each corner. it may not be the kind of "flow-centric" map that a lot of modern mappers like, but i think it's definitely memorable and holds your attention. i especially like the area with the circular platforms to the right after you jump down. the detailing and some of the other stuff might not be much by modern standards, but this map encapsulates the quirky creativity that i like about old maps like this. the weird juxtaposition of ideas not something people could really make these days, and that's why i like to return to stuff like MM2 to see what people did before level design practices became more codified (whether intentionally or not). it's a short map, but it begins a streak of the next several quirky, creative trap-based maps that i all like a lot.

MAP03 - “… And Hell Beneath” by Matthias Worch

Worch's maps and mapping style seem so associated with 90's mappers that it'd be weird to see a contemporary wad of his these days. the tricksy, trap-centric design is not really something a lot of people do these days. this might be my favorite Worch map overall for the density of how many of these little encounters are in this map. but to me it all centers around the large open brown ashwall area that you can get a view of to the left of the start. there are some repeat traps involving shooting switches that are kind of whatever, especially because they're repeated, but the way the map circles back around to the brown ashwall area is nice. it may not look like much, but it leaves an impression. i like the red area where the Cacodemons come that is initially blocked off to the side of that big brown ashwall room - the map gives you the impression something big is about to come from there. the crypt area isn't amazing but it's a nice varied underground setting that the next map will expand on well. i also like how you activate a lift and double back over an area you've previously been through but to reach the easy-to-sequence-break-in-modern-ports shootable switch out of reach at the beginning. that switch being one of the last things you hit in the level is also a nice touch. all in all, a nice tricksy map.

MAP04 - “Ratamahatta” by Florian Helmberger

this one is where MM2 really kicks into gear for me. the idea of a central hub area with four different holes you drop down into maybe isn't the most novel idea ever, but it's executed really well here. i like how the map forces you down the path of the farthest right one, and then opens up the rest for you. this map really feels really believably like a Hell map without relying on super difficult monsters - because so many areas have different sight lines where hitscanners could be hitting you from. especially in the area with the gray cave/red cave combo that connects the two closest pits (left and right). it really puts you on edge and makes you paranoid about what's going to come around the next corner, especially in parts where walls suddenly open up or teleport in. i found that, and the Duck Nukem grave to the side of that area (which i always think is from the previous map for some reason) really memorable. all the tight, gritty encounters with lots of hitscanners where you have to shimmy up cliffs. and the way it dumps you off back to the beginning depending on which pathway you go through is really clever too. this one really makes the most of its layout and yet still feels like all like a continuous space that all connects back up to the central hub. the only weak point is maybe the green chapel to the farthest left corner, but it's pretty short. the map also doesn't outstay its welcome also - once you've activated all the platforms in the hub, you're done with the map. that's the virtue of having these Hell maps early - they do what they need to do, and then don't go any further. because of that this one of my fav maps in MM2, honestly.

MAP05 - “Rites of Passage” by Paul Noble

Paul Noble only ever made two singleplayer Doom maps, but i love them both. this is a bit of a mindfuck of a level in so many ways. there's the bizarre secrets to the doubling back on yourself and areas you've progressed multiple times. or there are the ways you break progression at the beginning, to even the strange view at the beginning (and the fact that you can turn around and enter the door behind you and find a rather large secret there). i'm not sure if the having monsters locked behind cages thing is that interesting an idea... it's the idea that leaves the least of a mark on me. but nearly everything else in this map from the shapes of rooms is and the height variations (that bizarre circular green marble area you keep going up and down the stairs to fight cacodemons in), to the interconnectedness and strange secrets... it's so weird and non-standard and not like anything else i've ever played. and that bizarre... furnace room, if that's what you call it? and then the bizarrely barren exit area that you have to pass through and go underground in a strange separate part of the map, only to revisit later when you're at. to the use of textures you basically rarely ever see used in a modern context, it just feels like this map exists in its own universe. it's so unique and kind of... impenetrably myserious in so many ways that i feel like my words are useless to try and describe it. i think Paul Noble would outdo this one with MAP27 of this wad because there's a few points of this map that fall a little short, but there is still something incredibly unique and singular about this map. so yeah, one of my favorites easily.

so yeah, maps 2-5 of this wad i really like a lot. it drops off a little after that, but maybe on revisit i'll see things i didn't before. i'll prob do the next five or so in the next few days in an effort to catch up.

MAP07: Frustration

The main obstacle in this map is something that would only be a problem in Doom, A ceiling that's an inch shorter than Doom Guy is. Despite the name there's actually not much frustration to be found here. I suppose that door that doesn't open properly could be a bit annoying and if you don't figure it you could it happen you could be stuck running around for a few minutes. There's also plenty of backtracking if you find that annoying but I felt the whole thing worked pretty well. This was actually one of the most notable maps to me so far.

MAP08: Stigmata

What we wave here is some sort of underground waste system deep in the caverns of wherever the hell we're supposed to be. This whole map felt a bit sloppily designed. With a Hall of Mirrors effect a blind man can see and what I felt was no good sense of direction. Just pick a path, kill any monsters you can find and look for any keys or switches down there, if not go back and try another way. The combat wasn't anything particularly special but it was still enjoyable enough.

MAP09: Sabbath Sewers

Probably the first big map of the set which could easily take you 20 to 30 minutes to finish.There's a lot for me to not like here. It's pretty ugly, both because of the texture work and a few areas felt too big in some parts, and there's a lot pop-up monsters which to me is just dumb design. It makes no sense, looks stupid and is just a cheap way to try and hurt the player. It's not a complete chore to play through though and some of the combat was interesting and a good challenge. Such as the fight with Invul sphere whichmay not be much by today's standards but I liked it.

MAP09 - “Sabbath Sewer” by Mark Klem

KqXZU76.png

This map is quite huge and lengthy compared to everything else so far, especially when trying to get all 11 secrets. Sadly, I seem to have missed something and only finished with 10 found. I still had the most fun with this one than any map before, and there are plenty of cool areas and some nice lighting/ceiling decorations. There is frequent insta-pop shenanigans that can spring in your face if you're simply running forward. I didn't know abusing that feature dates this far back. But yeah, very cool layout, nice variety for being a sewer, and generally good fun. Oh yeah, and there is actually some rocket ammo here so you can have some fun besides using the SSG.

Edited by Spectre01

MAP09: Sabbath Sewers

97% kills, 6/11 secrets

This one has a lot of stuff I'd say are sins of mapping... large empty mono-textured areas, some confusing progression, needless pop-up monsters... but despite all that, I can't hate it. It felt a bit overly long to me but that's probably because I'm looking for something different in 2018 than I would be in 1996, when this probably would've seemed like "wow this map is such an awesome adventure!" It does have some nice variation in areas and some interesting weirdness that help keep things interesting. Playing on UV there was too much SSGing of baron/hell knight/demon meat, which I think contributes to the drawn-out feeling, but it's certainly not tough by any means. The sewer grates look really nice.

MAP10 - “Clear for Death” by Matthais Worch

"Would you die for this?" - Absolutely not! Wasn't this also referenced in map04(?) of Requiem?

I love how quickly the Hell theme got cut short for the main course of this wad: sewers. Not that there was much Hell to begin with aside from map01 and 04. map10 is your standard industrial nukebase, complete with Spectres in the green crap and all the other tropes we know and love about these maps. There is some interesting stuff, like the lock-in with 4 Cacos on the outside or the way the key flows through the pipes. A rather liberal use of Pain Elementals as well, although the kind you walk back behind a corner and SSG-peak to kill.

MAP11 - “Sewer Shutdown” by Eric Sargent

Another sewerbase map with a rockin' midi and a Megasphere secret that appears to be one time only. Solid map overall with a pretty good lock-in finale featuring Barons and Hell Knights in a tight space.

MAP11: The first part is surely the best, the various rooms of the sewer facility are nicely detailed and they provide some fun combats. After you jump down at the broken bridge you can't go back and you can miss 3 secrets (one is the soulsphere you can see behind the bars), if you didn't find the secret passage on one of the first rooms. The second part is set almost entirely in long flat tunnels. I Kinda like the giant circular structure you reach at the end, but it was really missing a bigger scale on the height to make it standout more. The system of teleport was quite funny, and there's a also a secret megasphere that you have only one chance to get it. Oh, we are also out from the sewer maps now.

39 minutes ago, gaspe said:

MAP11:  I Kinda like the giant circular structure you reach at the end, but it was really missing a bigger scale on the height to make it standout more. 

How true, this is what made Nucleus from Eternal Doom stand out for me...

MAP11

The MAP11 slot does this map disservice: by the time I was reaching it I was exhausted by sewer maps, and here there's another. The gameplay is fine, I like rushing through (in this case, the barons/nobles at the exit are indeed pointless). But if you Max or Tyson, there's lots of fun with them. There should be some bars lowering so you don't exit straight away.

A small shortcut involves skipping the yellow key. Apart from this, you need to run through the whole map.

Rating 4/5

Recommended demo

UV Speed 1:35 by Cyberdemon531 (link). I watched it yesterday, and I think it was the first time I saw this demo. Anyway, I had a smile on my face almost for its whole duration. No spoilers.

That Megasphere secret in Map 11, I fudged it, IIRC it is the same section with the blue armour, and I well teleported right on out after collecting the blue armour and it was only about a half hour after of teleport shenanigans that I realised I left the fucking megasphere behind and only after reading the comments here I realised I could never get back to it. 

What a dumbass I am lol 

MAP10: Clear for Death

Finally, true techbases, in the spirit of MM1 I should say, and another indispensable sewerage for the combo. Now, as for how it plays, I'd say it was decent throughout save for a few obvious instances. I like some basic SGing revs/weaklings and particularly the caco lock-in, but when it came to barons and PEs, and considering a couple secrets are essential to keep killing things, pace went down to camping or at least that's how I dealt with the PEs. Some people mentioned the BK effect, that would have been cool to watch :s

Midi sounds like it belongs to a platform game, doesn't it? :P

MAP11:  Very mediocre stuff. Some quite lively encounters in the cramped environments early on, but the long brown tunnel section is probably the low point of the wad so far, with sporadic, humdrum by-the-numbers encounters. It's good fun blasting away at the imps and demons in the central area of the inner nukage circle before the radsuits run out, but if you do that, you're just left with a fairly contrived teleporting sequence within the surrounding rooms.

I thought it was impossible to take on the Barons and HKs in the final area at first, and at least it's very easy just to rush through the exit if that's what you choose to do, but on subsequent attempts it was clear that you just need a bit of luck at the start, and if a couple of gaps open up, the rest is essentially a circle-strafing routine.

98% kills, 4/8 secrets

MAP12:  This one looked as though it meant business at the start - the surprise Cacodemon, then a warm reception committee  behind the first door. But then, after the Revenant is dispatched (with a couple of rockets in my case), the level has really shot its bolt, and is pretty straightforward thereafter. The mapper ought surely to have made better use of the Archvile: this one, shut up in his enclosure, was less dangerous than a shotgun sergeant. Also the Barons in the green torches room seemed to be restrained by blocking lines and were unable to perform to their potential. A few Spectres in the watery areas might also have added some spice to the mix.

It's a very attractive little map from a visual point of view though, and an enjoyable enough way to spend 10-15 minutes of one's playing time.

100% kills, 2/2 secrets 

EDIT: the above was written very much from the viewpoint of a continuous player (throwaway comments such as blowing the Revenant away with a RL, for example), and I've no doubt at all that the map could well be a very different proposition from a pistol start.

Edited by Summer Deep

MAP12

I think when we played Requiem I mentioned that Orin Flaherty was pretty much the King of 'Circle of Death'/'The Living End' style maps back in the day. This is probably the map that cemented that reputation. It's kind of a shame it is map12, instead of 11.

There's plenty of catwalking action and jumping between platforms, as you'd expect from this type of map, and Flaherty certainly has strong handle on the aesthetics of Romero's Doom 2 IWAD maps. It's got some cheekily nasty gameplay to it too, including a ninja cacodemon right at the start. And if you've played Doom 404, you have to know I liked that :)

Good action, good visuals. Not much to complain about, here!

MAP10: Clear for Death

100% kills, 3/5 secrets

A generic techbase that's very linear and rectangular... there's thankfully enough variation in texture scheme, stairs and such to keep things interesting enough that the corridor-iffic nature won't grate. Unfortunately the gameplay has all the pizazz of a leftover microwave dinner, with nothing but the single shotgun for the first three-fourths and a chaingun for the last bit, mostly against enemies in corridors with little threat of flanking. The only thing that makes it tough is the scarcity of ammo early on, that and the four-caco cage trap while you've only got the single shotgun. The blue key trick is fun at least.

MM2MAP09.png.3f71025f60031518b279be542ad66899.png

Back to exploration and puzzle solving. The map is quite good at creating the impression of being just below the surface of some forgotten metropolis. Visually it lacks consistancy, varying wildly from highly worked little niches such as the above image, to barely defined sprawling areas, including both semi-realistic depictions and surreal abstract spaces. Still it's a 90's map made with 90's tools so you can't really complain too much.
I'm glad I'm playing with Argent's upgraded arsenal, because dealing with the increasing numbers of mid-tier opposition could get a bit tiresome with just the chaingun and shotguns to rely on. There's some rockets to speed things up a bit now and then, but you'll still be reaching for the chainsaw occassionally to conserve ammo. Still it all sort of works, and there's no shortage of secrets to discover.

MAP11: Sewer Shutdown

Interesting to see multiplayer starting alcoves, which brings back the "MM1 vibes" thing once again. I'm indifferent to the gameplay so far as it's been more or less similar in monster usages: typical sergeants around corners, imps behind cages and lots of pinkies/spectres to grind, nothing outside the ordinary which is fine for a casual mood. The tunnel was bland and uninspiring in every sense, including the RK part. The big circle was more fun and a part I recalled from last year, the imps/hitscanners and mancs/trons somehow made it tricky to survive this last time. Finally, the goats at the end proved to be imposing, but maybe it was me not trying to wake them all up at once. An ok map.

It's striking how the map becomes ultra forgiving at the end, but kinda slow through the first half where there're more hitscanners. There's armor only in secrets plus a one-time megasphere presumably to favor continuous, which we all know it was the idea back then. I don't know what others think of this style, but it grows annoying in the latter maps tbh. Umm nothing else, bye.

^ That's an interesting trick you play with the Barons and HKs at the end there, exploiting the limitations of the game's AI, it would seem. That would never have occurred to most players, in all likelihood. I tried taking them all on at once, but died on around 80% of occasions.

Edited by Summer Deep

MAP11: Sewer Shutdown

97% kills, 3/8 secrets

I enjoyed this one, I think it shows how much more fun it can be when you have the SSG vs only the regular shotgun/chaingun as fights just move along a lot quicker. The first part is a decent romp, though the middle section does have huge empty hallways with that ugly alien texture, even if the curves are nice. The final structure is an interesting waypoint, though the progression of the teleport puzzle and opening up the north end is a bit confusing. And the final fight of five hell nobles in a box is a lame ending.

MAP12: This map reminded me a lot of MAP05 of the first MM, I didn't know they were made by the same author. I guess that he really loved Doom 2 Romero's maps. The Circle of Death/Living End aesthetic is glaring, and there's also the revenant tower of Tenements. Thematically this level goes also well after the series of sewer maps, set mostly in an cave with the titular river. There's a prominent use of caged monsters or groups put in unreachable places, not always working well like the AV but maybe is it more effective if you are playing in a hurry? The green structure with the red cylinder at the BK area was cool. Also at the BK one fatso is unable to move.

2 hours ago, gaspe said:

MAP12: [...] Also at the BK one fatso is unable to move.

This is something I don't understand to this day. The manc is flagged skill 4&5, but with -fast setting (or plain Nightmare! skill) it behaves normally, i.e. is shooting at the player like crazy. Anyone dare to explain?

MAP12

No more sewers, how refreshing! The map is nice, I really like the arch-vile chamber (those ZIMMER textures), even if inefficient, it is - I dare say - beautiful. The map is however very easy, maybe too easy, I think the easiest MM2 map (or: the most difficult to die). The reason: density of health packs.

The teleporters on MAP11 have their logic to me, but on this map I get confused quite a bit. There's one near the yellow key door which you can accidentally use if you want to make your way shorter and leave the ledge.

Also, this map inspired valkiriforce to create MAP32 from Interception.

Rating 4/5

MAP11
This map is representing sewers again, but with different scale. The first half of map is quite crampy (thankfully without mid-tier baddies), but the second is sprawling tunnel and interesting finale.

What I don't like here is the area where pinkies/spectres is released and 2 annoying lifts which are constantly moving. Two times spectres got me here when I'm on the lifts!
This map have lacking medikits, ammo and armor. So finding secrets with goodies here is essential.

The final circle area is interesting concept. You have been supplied with two radsuits, pick one and clean the area inside the "circle", the second radsuit would be handy on revisiting when you open room with "EXIT" signs. Though it is not actual exit, I've anyway skipped two HKs and baron before exiting map.

MAP12
Ok, we got here quality map in spirit of Living End/The Final-Frontier/Anti-Christ because of multiple using of rock/stone textures, excessive usage of depth/heights and dark areas.

The visuals are gorgeous even on modern vanilla standards (except some texture misalignements). Torches and candles usage complement the mystical aura.
There are enough supplies, even a couple of soulspheres are useful at the right time. Fortunately the water at the bottom of the cave is not dangerous, but I still carefully climbed these ledges and catwalks.

Also here is probably the first arch-vile appears on HMP skill, if I remember correctly.

Edited by riderr3

MAP12: The Waterway

That this was made by the same person who mapped the prequel's fifth map NOW makes a hell lot of sense. Most of the design properties remain intact: enemies behind cages or walls with gaps, mainly shotguns action, quirky structures to fill the space and give a vague sense of claustrophobia, lots of torches. I'm not keen of sniping imps in any form but the rest seemed like an improvement in quality, there's a lot of mobility in spite of the narrow platforms, monster placement is neither great or bad except for a few instances (e.g. stuck mancubus) but the cacodemons and lost souls won the prize imo. The mapper also captured that Living End style I live for, so lots of points for that. Cool map. BTW, cya sewers.

Missed the secret soulsphere at the end so excuse the backtrack :s

3 hours ago, vdgg said:

This is something I don't understand to this day. The manc is flagged skill 4&5, but with -fast setting (or plain Nightmare! skill) it behaves normally, i.e. is shooting at the player like crazy. Anyone dare to explain?

That fatso is also listed as the map bug on the wiki. For curiosity I tried to play with -fast and that manc is able to shoot. This is weird.

MAP13

The end of this, with the 64-wide spectre maze and the leap of faith in the face of chaingunners, definitely marked it down in my opinion. I did quite like the combined plasma + AV debut (at least debut for one that's able to move) earlier in the map, though.

Looks-wise this is not the best. Very boxy and generally plastered with long swathes of the same textures. It may also be a bit rough on a pistol start as it seems like you could easily unleash a lot more resistance than the map gives you the resources to fight, at the start.

Speaking of early fights, the teleporting monsters in the south aren't very well implemented. Both because the teleport lines aren't set up that well and because the monsters are able to fire projectiles through the apparently solid wall. It seems to me like that opening could easily have been made smaller to prevent that. But perhaps the author actually liked it that way.

Not one of the stronger maps, IMO.

MAP12: The Waterway

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

I was a bit down on the start since it was basically just camping a thin door with the single shotgun, but I really liked the mid section, definitely classic O of Destruction/The Living End vibes. I really love that quarter-circle staircase leading to the yellow key door, for example. Unfortunately the AV is basically toothless and the map peters out heavily after that, with stuck monsters and an underwhelming finale. Kinda felt like half of a map, to be honest. I didn't find the SSG secret until the end but there were only a few monsters it really would've been useful for.

MM2MAP10.png.d0e0d9f50b730fb8e6e26b12cd01ce24.png

When I'm mapping, this this he sort of map I tend to restart from scratch because it's not really going anywhere. There's some individual bits of design in here that I like, but ultimately it doesn't really gel together into anything interesting. And then the map just sort of ends. Oh well, at least it's short.

Come back Worch, all is forgiven!

MM2MAP11.png.c2388de0b7517717232ed4f4fe5dc0b3.png

So I guess the last map was intended as a segue into this. I don't mind ammo deprivation maps as a rule. Unfortunately, this is a health deprivation map instead, which I loathe and abhor. I guess in coop, this sort of thing works because you can just keep respawning until everything is dead, but in single player this was both frustrating and tedious to keep replaying until I scored some armour. Very glad to see the back of this one.

MM2MAP12.png.c34becaeb7fd601bcc3422e6ef2db9ce.png

Can't say how this map looks in software, but in GL it's bloomin' gorgeous. Imagine 'The Living End' with extra love and attention applied. Sadly the map ends all too soon. I could have happily played quite a bit more of this.

MAP12

This is classic Doom 2 through and through. That sneaky Cacodemon at the start, cunning little bastard! The opening fight was sadly castrated by the door, beyond that the biggest risk is probably getting sniped by chaingunners while being distracted by the bigger guys. Yeah that archvile was completely worthless, although maybe it was meant to be an element of surprise while the player is distracted by the imps? Visually the map is lovely, like the lightning, the atmosphere, the stairways/ledges and the candlelit paths. They were surprisingly generous with the health here, I believe there's 3 soulspheres, one of them a secret, plus numerous medikits. That soulsphere at the yellow door was stupidly placed right in the middle of the path, I was at 169% health and ported right into it while fighting the mancs. Got the SSG secret, no idea how that opened up. Overall a nice map visually and architecturally with some classic Doom 2 gameplay. 

MAP13

That starting area, wow acres of monotone brown brick! What's this? Monsters behind a fake wall teleporting in? Interesting gimmick which I haven't seen before, gave me a bit of a "fuck" moment when I saw a revenant missile coming out of a wall. Managed to get some good infighting going on amongst all the imps, revs and cacos here. That outside moat area is another oversize area that is bloody annoying to backtrack over if you want to run back for supplies etc. Maybe the big open area makes the instagib homing missiles of our skeletal friends on the ledge more dangerous, but, they can all be sniped to death from the window within the building where their missiles pretty much can't hit you. 

Bizarrely enough the yellow key door is marked a secret despite being a standard route of progression. Until this point, combat has been rather lacklusture with the oversize areas, but holy shit things get nasty. Fuck, we've got chaingunners, revenants, a mancubus and other riff raff. Teleporting into the plasma rifle section reveals an archvile and escaping up the stairs lands you in the arms of hell knights, cacos, shotgun snipers and a couple of PE's for good measure. Running in the other direction ain't safe either. Very very almost died here. Ofcourse, had I cleared out the Knights/shotgunner closet and the manc turrect first, things would've been different.  After that bit of heart pumping action, we find ourselves in a useless maze with pinkies, but with my minimal health, the teleport out into the open area was a nervous battle to get rid of those chaingunners. Thank god for that Berserk! Only found 2 secrets (one being the yellow door, ha), had nfi idea how the others were activated. The beginning felt drab and lacklusture, but turned into a decent map (except for that spectre maze) after the yellow door. 

MAP13
By the map title I thought there will be many red rock and fire areas, but it's actually hideout built from many brown bricks.
The combination of spectres and other enemies which moving to you make things harder, especially when using rocket launcher, be careful.

When returning with red key I realized I've have only 9% HP and unable to cross lava pool, so I've reloaded the savegame. They even didn't add extra secret with medikits in this area, a poor design in particular place.

The only area I like in this map is the place behind yellow door teleporter, a tough fight but also fun with infighting. The bridge with torches in bstone room reminds me of "Aztec", thankfully this bridge is not invisible.

In the "labyrinth" area with spectres you also need to cleanup monsters that behind windows, before you go in teleporter.