Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Memento Mori 2

^ Good Heavens, thanks for that! So it seems you have to 'activate' it twice - once to turn it from red to green, then a second time to lower it. Sneaky.....

MAP31
Many E1 homages here. A lot of low-tier monsters with lone baron.
Detecting ambushes and secret exit much easier if you find computer area map in one of the secrets.
Fun and easy map, especially if you have SSG.

MAP32
People calling "Dead Simple clone" every arena map with mancubi and arachnotrons, but this map at least not used tags 666/667, as I know which is impossible on this map.
Cyberdemon here is not a huge threat, especially when much numbers of blue armors is given.
An obvious exit to sky floor.

MAP16
This map consists of well interconnected rooms and corridors.
Even the peeking on IoS hurting the player. Interesting usage.
One of the stairs prevents player to go back, and another stairs are changing the whole room entirely.
I've skipped the last pop-up ambush and exited. It's good to have 200% of armor for next map.

MAP17
This title and music seems depressive, but the map is pretty challenging.
Many numbers of spectres wandering through the dark along chaingunners which make this map tougher.
I liked the outdoor rocky area.
Backtracking for the medikits here is essential. I feel I've already need a BFG in some cases.

5 hours ago, vdgg said:

Now, you still were part of the Alien Vendetta team (kind of, I know...), did you know that?

If that was commentary in an MM2 LMP pack, then I've probably read it, but I wouldn't have been keeping track of who said it.

Also, my involvement in AV was literally replying to a couple of emails from Brad :)

5 hours ago, vdgg said:

Another interesting detail that I was staring at trying to figure out what it meant were these red lights (one flashing)

In my head, it's reporting the temperature on a reactor.

MAP17

This is a solid enough map I guess, though not an especially memorable one. The ambush on the blue key is probably the highlight in terms of action, as the flood of monsters has a decent volume, even if it is mostly lower tier stuff. Later ambushes tend to think that small numbers of bigger monsters are enough, and they really aren't.

I did like the 'leap out the window' secret, though it delivered a disappointingly small reward for the effort.

Interestingly, the yellow key and everything behind the yellow door appears to be completely unnecessary for completing the map. It may be worth visiting on pistol start if you're low on resources I guess, since there is quite a bit of ammo.

Oh great, four maps behind yay!

MAP14: A Question of Time

Looks like the only collaborative map of the wad. In reality I'm way ahead of time and played up to 25, to keep my demos in a backup, but Youtube wouldn't let me upload 14's for whatever reason. So, I could see the approach of both authors combined, there's a bit of Worch at the first half, most likely the back and forth progression through a hub, and traps via monster closets in various circumstances. Möeller tended to release them via teleports in his own map, which can also be seen here in multiple opportunities, the most memorable maybe the slow ambush at the first area you have to visit, or the spawn of shotgunners. Unfortunately, there really isn't any valuable information in the text file about who made what, however. 

*reads Capellan*

Ok, Worch used instapops, cool... not really. Anyways, fun map, not in the mood to point out stuff this time.

Always seems I fall behind right when it's secret map time and I need to catch up, not sure why that is...

MAP15: The Devil’s Coterie

100% kills, 7/9 secrets

Garbage map, can't imagine playing another one by this author let alone a whole megawad.

Okay, obviously kidding. Not to seem like I'm trying to fluff Capellan's ego, but this is probably my favorite level of the WAD so far. Lots of interesting room designs and monster setups - the dangerous start gives you plenty of chances to roam into trouble and get flanked by enemies, the manc room is a big shift into high gear (and killed me a couple times until I found the SSG in the back corner), and the first AV is fiendishly placed where crushers occupy the cover you'd want to use. And the last big fight with the multiple AV ambush ("oh, I hear them in the walls, I wonder where they'll release... oh shit they're already out!") is a good moment too. I'm less excited by the cacoswarm, since the area isn't really that threatening and it feels like a bit of a meat grind in an otherwise already decently long map, but there is at least the potential you could get surrounded (or like me, kill a few and then slowly realize there's gonna be a lot of cacos coming in).

I reached the end with only a couple kills remaining (turned out to be the chaingunners in the now-useless compmap secret, which I only found thanks to having just played 404 before this, looks like Capellan liked his extra-long bricks even back then) and started searching the rest of the map for the secret exit. Found a couple of extra secrets, but nothing obvious... until I returned to the regular exit and found a big glowing arrow. No idea what turned it on, but hey, secret exit.

I'm glad @vdgg mentioned jumping out the window for the blue key right at the start, I noticed that was an option and wondered how many folks did that. Also interesting to see the thoughts from other MM2 authors at the time, I wonder if this one felt too mean back in the day but has actually aged better over the years.

15 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Unfortunately, there really isn't any valuable information in the text file about who made what, however. 

Here you go

Matthias Worch: start, hub, revs/chaingunners/satyr switch part, yellow key part

Thomas Moeller: imps/lion switch part, red key part

There were more streams but unfortunately they seem to be down.

following inconspicuously...

MAP09 - “Sabbath Sewer” by Mark Klem

i think that opinions on this map vary because it combines good parts, like the church or some underground parts, with bland corridors and ugly texturing.  gameplay-wise, i had fun getting everyone to infight in the cave with the invuln, but then corridors and doors with health felt like a slog. 

MAP10 - “Clear for Death” by Matthias Worch

again, reminds of requiem map09, it's just this mapper's style with the base texturing and the blue computer texture. killed lots of rabble with only a shotgun and a chaingun taken from its previous owner, as i didn't find the ssg @hell's kitchen was talking about. which slowed me down a bit, but the ssg wasn't really needed then. dropped down into the teleporter at the end and exited to my surprise.

MAP11 - “Sewer Shutdown” by Eric Sargent

sewer map again. i pistol started them all, and there's indeed enough ammo if you're careful in the beginning, later i found a backpack and had an ssg and over 60 shells available. the first half is a techbase, it's mostly plain and rectangular, but still ok compared to the later sewer with the "aliens" walls and no variation in floor and ceiling height, and lighting too iirc, very wolf3d. at least it offers a berserk somewhere so i could go medieval on many imp asses, while mancs and arachs were easily paired. that kept the action going, despite the boring architecture.

Edited by Pirx

Some to do some ketchup on this wad!

MAP12 - “The Waterway” by Orin Flaharty

Very much in the style of Doom 2's map29, except a bit nicer without having any pain sectors. The platforming is quite friendly by modern standards and there is really no punishment for falling off. On the contrary, you can pick off some enemies while in the water where they have a hard time targeting you. The first Vile of the wad also makes his late appearance, trapped in a little alcove and subjected to SSG-peeking. I always found it odd how the Blue Armour is surrounded by health bonuses. It's short and I've got nothing to complain about.

MAP13 - “Devils Paradise” by Rhys Hughes

bTZ78dg.png

Hey, cool skybox! You know what's not cool though? Random inescapable pits. The one at the end where you grab the Berserk is especially questionable due to being surrounded by a support texture commonly used for lifts, as well as two side passages that look like they may contain something. Thankfully I'm not playing blind + saveless, as that would be my own damn fault. Above nitpicking aside, this map is rather enjoyable and finally gives out the much-wanted Plasma Rifle. Seriously, it's about time. Most of the rockets that I've collected during this continuous journey have all but evaporated and I would like something faster than the SSG for killing Barons. The visuals are also just a bit too brown, but otherwise this map is enjoyable.

MAP31

Oh, the map I know the least, but then I still remembered much, getting all the secrets except the berserk one. After playing I watched Anthony Soto's Tyson and Max and his Tyson is very improvable. You don't need secrets for Tyson, but skipping blue armor is just stupid, he lost plenty of time by being very careful due to poor health.

As for the map, in my first MM2 playthrouhs I thought it was so cool to be a just UD monster map in a Doom2 WAD, not sure how cool it was in 1996...? Not an orthodox Knee Deep In The Dead entry, though: berserk, plasma and invulnerability do not belong to Episode One :-P

The map looks good, but there is nothing special about the gameplay. 100% kills not possible, so I'll take this opportunity and list all of the anomalies for the future:

• MAP32 has no secrets
  • MAP18 max kills 168/169
  • MAP25 max kills 251/252
  • MAP26 max secrets 6/7 (85%)
  • MAP27 max secrets 7/8 (87%)
  • MAP30 no secrets

Rating 3/5

MAP14 - “A Question of Time” by Matthias Worch, Thomas Möller

Time, Doctor Freeman? Nice to see that the red hell theme from map01 wasn't completely abandoned; although it is only one section of this map. The rest alternates between brown and green bricks for an aesthetic that's not terribly exciting. It also looks like this map is really bright, which makes the software renderer unable to do its atmospheric lighting fade. Gameplay is tougher than in previous maps, with plenty of in your face traps, and liberal use of hitscanners. I like that the teleport was not monster blocked, which resulted in some amusing monster pathing.

MAP31: DejaVu

100% kills, 6/7 secrets

Decent E1M7 homage, does a good job of capturing the style without feeling like a straight rip-off. Had a lot of fun searching for the secrets too, though a few simply came from looking at the map and figuring "okay, gotta be a secret hallway here somewhere..." Since the bestiary is limited to KDITD monsters there's nothing too tough unless you let yourself get overwhelmed with only the single shotgun early on. A couple nitpicks, I didn't like having only one suit to explore the sludge only to then find I needed the yellow key, and then finding it was the secret exit and I still had half the map to clear out. Also, there's a big demon swarm that gets released near the chaingun/blue key on the way back, but there's a block monster line that makes them basically just mill around ineffectually.

MAP32: Dances With Demons

100% kills, no map secrets

After the E1M7 homage comes the MAP07 homage. This is a bit unfortunate since we already decided that E1M7 is one of the top 4 UD/D2 maps of all time, whereas Dead Simple is overhomaged dross. That said, the double cyberdemon fight is actually a nice change of pace since MM2 has been pretty light on the boss monsters so far.

MAP15 - “The Devil’s Coterie” by Adam Windsor

Hot start, cool map. Some challenging sections here, especially the underground area with the crushers and Vile with limited cover. The Cacoswarm is fun too, although easily held back at a chokepoint with the SSG. Excellent midi, one of my favourites.

MAP17: It's rather pleasant visually, every major area is made with different grey textures. The lighting was pretty good and to add some color there's some blue here and there to make the classic blue/silver combo and occasionally some red blood. There are some optional parts that aren't required to finish the level: the area behind the yellow door and the eastern ring; though you the latter has the non-secret green armor. Even the side room with the lifts at the SSG aren't exactly mandatory but you'll find a CG and some ammo there, it's a must visit on pistol start. The BK wing is the hardest part to tackle, with some well staged traps. I like how the map gives you a computer map which can give you a false sense of security since you can see where the traps are located, but many are hidden on the map.

MAP32

I played this one quite a lot in the past (pistol start) and it's much better than the infamous MAP07 as it doesn't use any stupid 666/667 tags and that mancubuses can infight arachnotrons. It doesn't make the map any easier though as you have some pinkies and cybers as well. The map uses MM2 resources pretty well. Not a very rewarding map on continuous, no early BFG or something like that, the cells you get you will probably have used here, so the only noticeable gain I find for finding two secret maps is that you can exit easily with 200% armor, and this is useful, as another one is at the very, very end of the next, pretty violent level...

Rating 5/5

MAP16

Nice lighting, a bit dull texturing. Great transformation room and general level transformation. Great gameplay, lots of weapon variety, plasma gets used more than anywhere before.

Rating 5/5

Recommended demo

1.Another Xit Vono Nightmare run (link), super efficient kills at the start with almost no damage taken, then things start hectic near the blue key. I love killing of the barons resurrecting over and over and not letting go any further for a good while. At the end, a big mistake and a big improvisation, fantastic adrenaline.

2.The demo from Doom Wiki by The Green Herring showing a funny bug (link)

17 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Oh great, four maps behind yay!

lol

MAP03 - “… And Hell Beneath” by Matthias Worch

A good example of the 90's trap-laden, labyrinth crawl style layout. Very interconnected, with absolutely brutal and efficient ambush setups. There's a nice balance between subtly choreographed battles and roaming, incidental encounters, as Worch seems to prefer his fights to be at a small scale. Despite that, it's a tough one, with much of the playtime spent on being "up close and personal" with the adversaries. Visually, Worch chose a rather drab color scheme to work with, a "brown buffet" would be apt i think, but thankfully liven up by some areas having impressive custom texture usage: we can all agree that the church area was simply stunning. No slouch in the lighting department either, all in all still plenty of things to look at.

Focused and competent, and just like what Urthar commented, "mature" for the era it was made in.

Some screenies:

44TpKK7.png
tDGgWvf.png
8qsfMNu.png 

MAP18:  The episode with the lift near the start seemed to encapsulate the sometimes hit and miss nature of this level.
Unpredictable, getting stuck at times, sometimes serving up a Baron for the player to deal with, sometimes a Revenant, or
maybe both. Then again there could be infighting at the bottom of the lift, or the player could fall down it and be
annihilated by the Mancubus or Arachnotron; in addition some strange teleporting shenanigans appeared to be going on down
there as well....

The combat in general was a mixed bag, most of the best stuff coming in the earlier part of the level, including that
around the lift and in the cramped areas near the red key room. Some bits were bizarre though - being forced to pick up
the Berserk pack in the control room for instance: I didn't need any more health, so the extra 100% was of no use, and I'm
not interested in punching Cacodemons and Pain Elementals, though some people may well get off on that sort of thing.
There were also a couple of places where one could shoot off imps' kneecaps through seized up, partially opened doors,
which was fun I suppose....

The map was visually quite attractive with good variety, from the imposing nukage areas, to the control centre with its
pulsating lights, and the outdoor area with the Mancubuses, which provided a striking contrast. The under-populated caves
were a bit disappointing though, and seemed to serve no real purpose (even the Arachnotron in here was frozen, and quite
ineffective).

[rant] Plenty of health around, but no armour: from other comments in this thread, it seems that's to be expected of this
particular mapper, but it's something that's too common for my liking in this wad as a whole. Many people probably don't
find it very enjoyable to play this way, and a green armour placed near the start of the map (not in a secret) really
shouldn't be too much to ask. [/rant]

100% kills, 1/6 secrets

MAP18

Matthias Worch takes his final MM2 bow with this techbase map. Its most memorable feature is probably the wacky telefrag hijinks at the opening, with the heavily telegraphed AV rezzathon that then follows much later in the piece. Well, that or the complete absence of armour, since it seems there's not even so much as a single helmet in the whole level.

That lack of armour is probably the key driver of difficulty here, to be honest, as the monster count in and of itself is not that massive. A brace of revenants or a fistful of flying tomatoes is the order of the day. You're more likely to be cursing the hitscanners than anything else, since they're apt to plink off health whatever you do, and with no armour around a shotgun or chaingun can really sting.

Worch does the "moving blue key" gimmick here again. Not really as memorable the second time around, Matthias :)

MAP16: Nephilim

98% kills, 2/4 secrets

This was a pretty fun base level to blaze through, though I wish there was an armor vest early on since the large amount of hitscanners (and windows for them to shoot you through) can be quite dangerous, which prods the player slow down and play it safer. The design of the area past the red door in particular provides a nice setup with lots of angles for the monsters to get you, as well as a nice ambush for the blue key. Also had a good laugh at the room behind the blue door, I figured something was coming (given how boring and plain the room looked) but didn't expect that much of a shock. Unfortunately the last couple fights are a little lame though (teleporting right in front of two mancs, the instapop hell knight).

Omg now it's five maps...

MAP15: The Devil's Coterie

One of the best maps so far, offering all kinds of monster placement we haven't seen very often in this wad, including lots of cacodemons (objectively the best part). But let's get to the fun/standout parts:

1. The start is already great, intense thanks to all the dead people and that early PE, but the star goes to the sneaky cacodemon that comes inside and spits you in the back when you least expect it.

2. There's a chance of instigating anger between arachnotrons via barrel's splash, albeit not exactly like with goats, because they can only shoot plasma. Back in 2017 when I played this for the first time, somehow a spider was busy shooting another, but I didn't understand why. 

3. Crushers and an archvile with barely any chance to evade ignition. This used to be incredibly tricky and I still found it a bit weird, and I had to chicken back the crushers and snipe the vile, because it's doable ;). This because previous recording I found the vile in a bad spot for me, and no way I was using the RL with spectres around. Speaking about spectres, the two under the lift instantly got me stuck on the lift without a chance to do anything. That wasn't nice at all.

4. Obviously the caco ambush, while a grindy setup, cacos are always cute, that's a fact.

5. Exit area, another part that killed me a lot last year, but not that problematic this time thanks to experience. Still a solid last ambush to, literally, spice up the megawad. 

Of course the incidental situations in between were dope too, particularly the underground big grey square with all the blobs to SSG, and the imp gangbang as Capellan said. The cargo room is another particular area, it looks like doing jumps on the crates will lead to a secret, when it actually leads to a couple clips. And aesthetically, it's a mishmash of colours and, at times, themes. It is an industrial factory but the first AV section is sort of hellish. Works with the set imo. 

MAP17

This mapper has exactly one entry to MM, MM2 and Requiem, interesting. I never touched his earlier maps, though, so I just played MRDM2101 which is quite a violent Doom map, and quite a good one for 1994. I didn't notice anything in common between MRDM2101 and Michael's megawad entries, though.

He liked GRAY series concrete textures, as well as MODWALLs. Me too, though the most artistic way of putting them is present in Shamus Young's torment.wad. Check it out! Michael Rapp also used these funny double width doors a lot.

The gameplay involves lots of plasma again, but seems more relaxed than MAP15/16. The yellow key is optional and when playing continuous I usually grab the red key, activate this "double activate" pillar, grab the blue armor and get straight to the exit. The UV Speed route is pretty quick indeed! Also there's this trick about grabbing the blue key (be mega quick before the pillar is raised too high). Too hard for me, I have to say.

The highlight for me is the courtyard with red and yellow keys, cool structure with unusual texture combinations in the centre (COMPSPAN near red waterfall). There's lots of action there as well and a window you can jump through (from the red key back to the courtyard), not too common.

Rating 4/5

MAP19

So the feature that gives this map its name isn't hard to work out: a near 3000 unit descent with monsters being released on a regular basis. Played "as intended", it probably makes for quite the set piece. But if you don't care about 100%ing – and I never have – then you can duck into one of the little alcoves (the PE makes a good candidate since you want to be in his face anyway) and then just wait (and wait and wait) for the floor to finally stop lowering. Then you just leap down and scarper, courtesy of Doom's lack of falling damage.

More successful, I think, is the subway tunnel section. That looks pretty nice and even if you are again probably better off ignoring many of the monsters (especially the last clump), it's a more interesting place to look around and has plenty of multi-angle threats to keep you on your toes.

I'm generally not a fan of maps with a "now you have to complete multiple self-contained sub-sections and flick switches in each" motif, but both this and the earlier map04 execute it quite well.

I rather enjoyed this map. It looks nice, and skippable encounters are not automatically a bad thing in my mind, though that Mancubus in a small room at the top of the lift was kinda cheap and nasty.

MAP31: DejaVu

I did get the idea and all, but perhaps it only struck me once and not so much this time. It's solid, to the say the least. The most notorious difference with any KDTID map is the enemy density, where you'd ordinarily find some dead people in corners and lonely pinkies, now they come in large tropes. The other is the plasma rifle, although of little utility (the baron seemed the best target for it), so primarily it's another SG/CG centric map, and a chainsaw for us weirdos. On the other hand, the contrast with the rest of MM2 is the absence of custom textures, which we have seen in map 13 too even though it was a classic MM map, and also free armor pickups for once. Personal highlight is the RK trap with RL+invul combo, just a fun case of liberal rockets deployment. The midi is the only oddity, but that's psychological, my brain automatically relates anything UDoom related to their stock tracks. Still a fine tune.

BTW, the sergeants near the normal exit were silly kills because the area was inaccessible, no map in KDTID did that (right?). And let's not forget about the missing monster, which a simple idclip trip revealed to me he was having intimacy with a barrel, could hear him moaning, walls are really thin in Doom.

MAP32: Dances with Demons

Let me start by asking, was this originally supposed to be in the seventh slot?. Because, I absolutely supported the idea of placing it here. One just grows tired of the gimmick when it's so so close to the original, but thankfully here, no special tags, and the possibility to bring the spiders into the yard along with the mancubi is a great change. Of course, I did not release the trons earlier because I haven't studied for the test, or in other words I wasn't aware of that until I read others. But whatever, cool short map. Again, great tune.

Funny, the blur spheres are about as pointless as also troll moves like in the og dead simple. It always makes me giggle when mappers place this item when there's no reason to take it. Mano Laikas, a wad I'm currently playing, has a secret one in every map, and outside of "comfort" with SMMs, it's typically worse to grab them lol.  

40 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

MAP32: Dances with Demons

Let me start by asking, was this originally supposed to be in the seventh slot?

Not that I recall - certainly, a map with cybers and plasma guns would have broken the progression rules for what monsters and weapons were allowed on what map numbers.

MAP18

Nice base, nice texturing, my favourite moment is the outside mancubus/plasma courtyard as you can see this base "inserted" into caves. Also, the drilling facility rocks! This guy always has a cool idea somewhere.

I thought the ammo was scarce and indeed you may be in trouble if you don't use proper weapons. Anders got 0 ammo at one point as he used SSG on sergeants, used little infighting... With some moderate chaingun usage I was close to full stock at all times. Also, it's not that difficult to kill the arch-vile before he starts resurrecting.

No rocket launcher, and it's the last map of the set with no rocket launcher. The previous one was MAP14, what's wrong with this mapper's dislike towards more firepower? Lack of armor, everyone will notice that. Those who hate mandatory pain sectors (there's a trend nowadays of rants against pain sectors), you have four radiation suits prepared nicely for you, much more than you need.

Matthias again fails his homework with the key placement. The blue key can be grabbed without releasing two revenants, but what is more progression-breaking, the red key can be eeeeeasily grabbed from behind the grating, skipping a big part of the level.

Rating 4/5

MAP13: Devil's Paradise

We got a fort surrounded by a little lava moat and courtyard area here. The Fort's basically a brick box and it's pretty ugly and uninspiring, There's a little bit of detail here and there like corpses on the walls and torches around the place but it's just too little. There's atleast 2 unescapable death pits here, The worse was probably the one near the beginning when you're coming back from the area with the red key, it's right around a corner and easy to miss so that's just bullshit.

This was a damn tough map from a pistol start, Of course ammo can be tight from a pistol start but this was unforgiving near the beginning and there weren't too many opportunities for infighting either. The combat and traps here were mostly just shit, with pop-up chaingunners and one of those traps where a horde of monsters slowly spawn in over a course of 2 minutes. This whole thing felt a bit sloppy and perhaps could have used a bit more testing.

MAP15: The Devil's Coterie

Probably the most visually appealing map of the wad so far taking place in a hellish tech base, there's plenty of good texture work here and a nice variety of styles as well while still keeping a consistent fell throughout. Of course Visuals don't mean much if the gameplay isn't good and this map certainly delivered. Plenty of good and challenging combat here without relying on bullshit like pop-up monsters or a closet of chaingunners opening behind the player after flipping a switch. There were some very close moments here like the big warehouse filled with Mancubi and the Archvile fight down in that sewer area. Definitely a big step up from the last few maps which I felt were a bit weak.

Bug warning for map25

Users of PrBoom and PrBoom+ must turn on "Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model" and Eternity players need to toggle "Use Doom's linedef trigger model".  If you don't, you will get a bug that prevents level completion.  Setting complevel 2 is not enough to prevent this.

(ZDoom knows about the map and should be OK)

37 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Bug warning for map25

Users of PrBoom and PrBoom+ must turn on "Use exactly Doom's linedef trigger model" and Eternity players need to toggle "Use Doom's linedef trigger model".  If you don't, you will get a bug that prevents level completion.  Setting complevel 2 is not enough to prevent this.

(ZDoom knows about the map and should be OK)

Setting complevel 2 is enough as it overrides all these menu options. If you got something different, that's very weird.

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

Setting complevel 2 is enough as it overrides all these menu options. If you got something different, that's very weird.

It seems not.  My command line was "prboom-plus -file mm2.wad -complevel 2" and it still glitched out.

The only thing which comes to my mind is that you loaded a savegame which was played without complevel 2. Otherwise, no matter what I do, I always get the correct behaviour, the pillar with the teleporter pad raising to the height you can reach (not up to the ceiling).