Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Memento Mori 2

MAP26: I liked this map the first time I played it, and on each replay it gets worse. The pistol start is very annoying. There's very low ammo around and you are likely required to find the secrets. Not that it would be a bad thing per se but the work to get to those isn't fun. The SSG of the map is hidden inside an unofficial secret. The ordeal at the BK and the plasmarifle building is tough and not so fun. You probably don't have enough ammo to deal with the cyberdemon on your own, remembering this I let the spiders alive to give a hand against it. The next step is the grey base, you really want to get the secret area with the pinkies you can see behind the bars. If you manage to get it you can rest for a little while. Things get annoying again at the crushers, that part is rather awful to navigate. At this point you shouldn't worry so much anymore, in the depths of the base there are few skirmishes and many hitscanners. There's a Gotcha moment with the boss monsters, this is always nice to see, you are also given an invuln. orb and a good stack of rockets and cells. Now you shouldn't definetely have ammo problems and the map becomes a boring linear fest of fights in big overscaled areas, though at least things flow fast. The YK battle was somehow interesting. Visually is very bland with huge monotextured areas, and those 3D lift with only the handrails look lazy. On the other hand the bar was cute with its realistic details, I loved that billiard table.

I really liked the idea of going into a bunker base, the execution was terrible though. Maybe this was more exciting back then and these big battles were a cool new thing, there's a "high" ammount of powerups (3 megaspheres, 2 soulspheres).

MAP24

When I first saw it, it was a revelation, very refreshing to see these Phobos-like corridors with revenants... I think I played it before relive.wad, and definitely before Fava Beans. Later I learned that Sean Birkel had his speciality and basically mapped in one style, but he could give lectures about Phobos bases, he put much thought into the design, proper window height etc.

Now it's not that great, it's the easiest map of the 3rd episode, monsters always in front of the player, and on top of that, plenty of "block monster" linedefs to make things even less threatening. Mid-tiers? Revenants are fine, barons are a bit lame, and "the worst mancubus placement I have ever seen" ( @kmc) actually is kind of an achievement, definitely a memorable mancubus :)

So should I dismiss this map as the author has no clue about good gameplay? To my surprise, the ammo balance is much better than in Worch's maps. That bulk cell near the exit which was probably intended for continuous play can be used in single level. You have a grand total of 7 BFG shots in a relatively small level, plus 13 rockets, wow, and well done, even if by chance. Also, I really like the computer map secret placement, allowing to see the warehouse from a great height.

YV9SAab.png

^Fava Beans E1M7

6GlaHxl.png

^MM2 MAP24

Rating 4/5

MAP27

I hated this level in the day, firstly because it had some very rough combat to deal with when you had a grainy 320x200 display and mediocre keyboarding skills, and secondly because the progression is balls out obtuse.

Only the second issue still applies to the map today, but crikey, it's a pain in the ass to navigate this thing. It's pretty much a case of poking in every corner in the hope that you'll either find a switch or stumble over a W line that opens something somewhere and allows you to proceed. I got stuck on finding the blue key for a long time, mainly due to not realising that "seeing the cyberdemon" for some reason opens the door that lets you progress.

It's kind of a shame that the progression isn't a bit more intuitive, because this is an ambitious, sprawling map that gives you plenty to explore and a goodly amount of ordnance with which to do so. If I wasn't spending so much time being frustrated, I'd have had a great time.

MAP22 - “R.R.F. Refinary” by Thomas Möller

this took a while, because it needs some backtracking, and the paths are interconnected in a way that lets one pass a junction easily and end up in a different part of the map, and look angrily through a window to where he actually wants to get. or at least that was my impression. what i liked - plenty of infighting opportunities, see the corridor with barons vs arachnotrons or the baron and the cacos (he killed 5 tomatoes until he bit the pixel dust). i found the enemy placement rarely threatening though, except for the chaingunners all over the place. some fitting textures for that "tech grave" theme @vdgg , and impressive demo.

MAP23 - “No Way Out” by Eric Sargent 

hub map. interesting abstract theme, a central teleport leads to several buildings and gives you a new weapon every time you return. the blue key room was annoying, as i had been easy going and then got scratched to death in a second after picking up the key. took some time again due to backtracking and searching for what has opened, there's always something new to explore when you press a button somewhere.

MAP24 - “Io Lab” by Sean Birkel

e1-like map, that's lots of interconnected rooms witrh secrets, mostly populated by  small enemies,  plus some barons at the start. didn't feel threatened at any point, iirc, but e1 with ssg, that's making them disappear in a shower of gore at every step, and that kept the action going, i enjoyed the map.

MAP24: Io Lab

99% kills, 4/5 secrets

Decent enough KDITD style map, guess it should be no surprise it's from the author of Fava Beans. I remember being a bit unimpressed with FB, but this one is solid if still maybe a bit too easy and straightfoward - the monsters feel mostly plopped down to fill space, without any real traps that work (the monster closet that opens from the red key - cut off from the player by all the crates - really stands out in this regard). The SSG also makes things pretty easy, you won't really even miss not getting the bigger guns until the end.

Here goes three more maps:

MAP22: R.R.F. Refinary 

The spelling checker doesn't recognize "Refinary", nor Google does. A typo perhaps? 

Well, a cool sprawling map and one of my favourites to play absolutely casual, though pulling off a safe deathless demo felt awesome. The fun, however, depends on the secrets SSG and BFG, which are a must to kill mid/high-tiers, and rockets barely exist as usual. It's quite tricky due to the lack of armor, until half of the map it can feel like pulling teeth with each section, specially without knowledge of the layout, I found myself near death a few times in one playthrough at the room with compblu and a berserk. I really liked the open part with the wall separating the liquid pools, definitely the most distinguishable aspect from the map visually. It's a big monotextured wall but there's a cool vista of the sky where the intense brown scheme combines pretty nice (no, this isn't rambling words, I'm being honest). While the combat in general is solid, I'm only skeptical about the road to the YK, and that's not only because that many pinkies is silly but also the backtrack after conquering the key. A teleport shortcut would have been nice heh. On the other side, how did that archvile silently spawned in there is beyond me...

MAP23: No Way Out

The midi starts a couple seconds later in OPL3, that's nice though. Ok so, kind of good and tame at times. I liked the idea of a single teleport pad to take you to each key section, minimalist and effective imo. And for each section, I primarily minded the last part, as it had that one clausterfuck with pain elementals and cacodemons that killed me multiple times back in 2017. I swear I hated that trap but now it turned out funny, it can be easily skipped with a pre-BFG shot. It still didn't prevent a mess of lost souls inside there. For the other two sections, I wasn't a fan of the pinkies usage, ignoring them is worse than tediously sniping them from below, because they get stuck on the borders. Also, without the RL, sniping the hell knights was boring. Good thing that it is possible to run over the mancs alcove and put some decency into a tame trap... The mid section was weird, I didn't care to analyze the BK trap so I just pushed the imp and left, taking care of the pinkies from outside who occupied all the space. However, the highlight of that section is the secret chain of teleporters leading to a big metal square for a tense BFG fight, including a megasphere alcove to bring the monsters to the middle meanwhile, most importantly the chaingunners.

Hmm, maybe the map with the highest number of secrets so far, while most of them are pointless. The demo is a second attempt missing a kill somewhere. I'm not proud of it, as in the first one I forgot to set the record command. Yep, frustration intensified, considering that first one came out with a beautiful triple PE kill in one shot u_u

MAP24: Io Lab

A decent KDITD-ish tribute with a gorgeous melody. It's flooded and messy but an easy one considering all the weaponry and cheese strats you can pull off. Like the secret map, the monster density is much higher than any original E1 map, only in this cases it includes more species. Fairly solid gameplay throughout without much effort put into combat, although lacking more of those classic monster closets unfortunately. Oh and yeah, big fat error in YK spot is a big fat error.

This one took a bunch of tries to get a consistent start, the monsters are all scattered in a way it makes SSGing look inelegant, to me at least, due to trying to avoid chip damage and one shot souls, but that was the only draw for running the map. It is what it is.

Edited by galileo31dos01

7 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

MAP23: No Way Out

Good thing that it is possible to run over the mancs alcove and put some decency into a tame trap...

This is a great idea, somehow unused before.

MAP25

This is Denis' farewell and somehow he managed to build something big and almost everything works for me. OK, maybe except his trademark hidden pain elementals. From the mapping point of view, the best is the plain wall on the player's left hand side at the start of the map. Halfway through you will see a gate has emerged. The SUPPORT3 texturing isn't the most glorious thing, but it is worth checking in a map editor, how it appears.

We have some heavy fights and a marvelously placed cyberdemon. I don't know what Denis was thinking in the era before BFG two-shot kills, but seeing the size of the room now, one would expect Time Of Death was giving him advice. It's also interesting that, in vanilla, when I open the cyber chamber door, he always turns right. So at least the first shot is kind of automatic, then the second can be tricky if the cyber refuses to shoot straight away.

Good to see the cyber is present on skill 1 and 2 as well, you just have an extra megasphere. It would be dumb and anticlimactic to place a mancubus for example...

Easily one three best maps of the WAD.

Rating 5/5

MAP05 - “Rites of Passage” by Paul Noble

Starts out already fairly off beat, with monsters tucked behind invisible walls (quite visibly) and the usually nondescript opening door actually holds many valuable supplies, it... only gets weirder from there, but also ever so more wonderful! Paul is seemingly toying with the engine as the map unfolds, with strange secrets, floating midtex,... and at it's best, quite fun and inventive! Standout moments has to be the frantic caco spiral fight with all the crazy teleport lines, and the entire weird radsuit section in the path to the yellow key. A few shortcoming do hold it down a bit, such as the rather messy and sometimes pretty ugly detailing, but the "boldness" actually also makes the level's most striking scenes.

Both fascinating and enjoyable, and not something you see much nowadays.

Some screenies:

FsePURB.png
FeFSZ0U.png
kwJZ0pe.png

MAP23
Interesting usage of teleporter, each side will transport player to keydoor locations. There are also key duplicates, not sure what the purposes of them.
I figured out that this map was much easy when you know where is secret areas, otherwise there again not enough medikits.
Also gameplay part after blue door is changed - less unavoidable hitscanners, but more interesting encounters.
The cyberdemon encounter is easy, just watch those blocking corpses on sticks, to not stumble upon them!

MAP24
Looking at texturing and layout this is one more E1-similar map. Even the courtyard with supercharge is here.
The yellow key room is a nasty trap with mancubus faceoff. Sure you can use BFG or just step back.
The main issue here is that narrow E1-ish corridors is not suited for faster/homing projectiles of midtier monsters.

MAP25
This map starts very dynamic but ends bothersome. I wanted to lower the exit teleporter on the other side as fast as I can.
Especially here are unavoidable bug which depends on compatibility.
Most impressive design here is the bridges that form a pentagram. But this is a not good place to fight cyber, not much space. Except if you have a BFG and some bravery.

Edited by riderr3

MAP27: 154 monsters don't seem to much on UV but this map has a good amount of tough monsters and this isn't a simple level and some combats can be rather hard. Figuring out what to do isn't easy initially, at the start you have few paths you can take, and inside the layout of the base isn't really intricate but the navigation is weird. At the start we are equipped with a good arsenal on pistol start, though you have to look a bit. There's a scary cyberdemon in a cramped computer room, to deal with it there are some crusher set in a strange way (I didn't remember those until I checked the map in the editor). And actually many fights can be tough in the inner areas because of the cramped spaces. I really like how you have to interact with the silos with the missiles to progress, and to mess with the demons plans. My favourite area would be the courtyard with the turrets and the catwalks links. Even if monotextured the base look good from the outside, the green have a pleasant contrast with the grey floor, the red sky and the sea on the horizon.

You can grab the BK very early, by jumping from the arachnotron turret nearby. Also on prboom I noticed that you are able to press from below the switch that raises the catwalk to the exit tower, though to access  the exit you have to lower a barrier fomr a tower in the southern courtyard. It seems that you are able to skip some parts.

MAP28

Chaingunner Gangbang, the map. The author's constant implementation to distant/high/low/behind you redshirts gets rather wearying, frankly. That and the frequent rides up and down the long-ass elevator beyond the yellow door are the main issues I have with the map. I mean, it looks fine, and it mostly plays alright whenever it's not hammering you with hitscanner abuse, but it does resort to that abuse rather too often.

Just a heads up that if nothing gets at least 3 nominations for next month, the club will be going on temporary hiatus until more people are interested in participating. Currently Deathless is at 2 votes, everything else is at 1.

I'll throw in

+++Deathless

as well.  I haven't participated in a Megawad Club entry before, may next month be my first :)

MAP17 - “No One” by Michael Rapp

This map was pretty good. Gloomy techbase with a rather ominous midi. I was missing some dudes near the end, and apparently there are some closets near the starting area holding some enemies. Now why would I possibly be expected to backtrack there when all the action is happening in the eastern part of the map?

Nothing against Deathless, but why not a christmas wad like H2H:Xmas or 32in24? Uh whatever, I'm not participating though. 

MAP25: Forgotten Town

This indeed is one of the top 5 maps in my list. Fun combat, sprawling open layout, a bit of "faux non-linearity" which in my book means "not feeling like following a straight line to the exit". I really dig how the map opens up and lets the player easily investigate previous areas better, for secret hunting specially. This looked amazing back in my first steps into pwads, and I bet people found the map awe inspiring in the 90's. If I ever build a map inspired by MM, it'll follow this idea. As for monster placement, it seemed substantial throughout with many infight opportunities and numerous cramped/open situations for the measure, not just hitscan zombies around every corner. Lots of mid-tiers in groups and traps, the first HK/rev trap that I can imagine speedrunners would prefer to ignore and challenge RNG with the mancs to get the SSG, but I wasn't doing that. There is one teleporting ambush that's triggered when you get the RL, which eats up time if you wait for the last monster, so it's better to leave for later. Highlight is the star shaped room with the cyberdemon, I opted to weaken him with shells and plasma and then booty blast him with a BFG shot at the end, just to avoid failing. 

Side note, there's one monster that never teleports where it should do. I had to IDDT to check that because I was missing one kill. The next two maps cannot be fully maxed because of similar reasons (missing kill, inaccessible secret). Hmm, maxing wasn't that much of a deal back then I guess...

MAP18 - “Regulate” by Matthias Worch

Those must be some clever secrets for I only found 3/6 despite spending quite a bit of time humping walls. Quite the large nukebase map here with extra attention paid to making it look more realistic and less abstract. That quad Chaingunner trap could've been nasty, but I could smell it from a mile away! Also, I didn't find any armour here, which is no bueno.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:06 AM, Summer Deep said:

MAP26:  Yes, this is an uninspiring effort. Half the map seemed to be made of breeze blocks and the other half to have been built with materials left over from Icarus.

Haha, that was accurate. I immediately thought about the pool table and the SHAWN textures, of course.

5 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

I thought he did Level 6 for Requiem afterward?

It was Thomas Moeller. Both Moellers named themselves The Innocent Crew.

MAP26

MM2 is different than MM/Requiem that no map was created by Casali brothers. Don't get me wrong, they were fantastic mappers, but I think both MM MAP23 and Requiem MAP23 really break the pace and balance. So this map plays the role of a Casali map, in a sense that it has the highest total monster HP, plenty of invulnerabilities/megaspheres, rockets and cells.

Apart from this, I don't find it enjoyable or good looking. The start is actually promising, then there's a nice flickering lights corridor leading to a mancubus and BFG, but much better design elements (and in larger quantities) were present in Klem's first Memento Mori super secret level! I see in this thread this map received no love, so we agree here.

Rating 2/5

Recommended demo

Respawn by The Green Herring (link). The Community Chest 4 Leader has always solid demos, though the main reason I recommend it is the .txt file :) 14 long paragraphs, a very good review of the map, and a good laugh.

MAP19 - “The Shaft” by Jeremy Statz

This is a really good map, and took me a solid 43:20 to fully clear and grab all the secrets. I've seen other wads do the key-door elevator theme, but I don't think I've played anything released earlier than this one. There is also the whole descending floor sequence that reveals monster alcoves that has been imitated in later wads. What makes this level enjoyable is the variety of distinct locations with their own quirks and gameplay elements. Favourite map so far.

MAP20 - “The Experiment” by Alden Bates

It's certainly experimental, though not the good kind. Wasn't a fan of the visuals nor the gameplay here. There are also enemies stuck in some map geometry for whatever reason. The best part is getting the BFG while playing continuously.

MAP25: Forgotten Town

99% kills, 4/8 secrets

Thought this map was a bit blocky and ugly at first, but it grew on me as the map went on - despite the heavily orthogonal nature it does a good job of staying interesting by using a lot of lifts and staircases to create vertical disjunction, along with some decent use of windows. Just a shame it's so goddamn brown. Weapons are doled out well (though I would've liked the SSG maybe a room or two sooner), secrets are well-designed, and the monsters are well-placed with lots of good flanking situations. That baron/AV instapop near the end is a misstep though, as is the ambush right after it with the hitscanners who can't really hit you through that tiny little window.

MAP 27:  This was a pretty demanding level, as you'd expect by this stage of a megawad. It took me 78 minutes, in large part
due to the progression issues mentioned by Capellan, and I don't really appreciate being told on the endscreen that my
persistence 'sucks' in these circumstances, LOL. The battle in the red key room was the highlight for me, a difficult but
fun series of engagements in an imaginative setting. Less enjoyable was the sewage area with the Revenants and PEs, where
I had to fight a rearguard action cooped up in the passageway which leads to the lift out of there. The Cyberdemon
encounter was the third time in this wad that he could be killed in a crusher, hmmmm.... Never worked out how to get that
invuln sphere either, which was a bit annoying.

100% kills, 4/8 secrets

MAP 28:  An epic map. Yes, the chaingunners were a bit over the top, but so was virtually everything else. I had a love-hate
relationship with the massive, brutalist-style grey architecture, impressive in its sheer overpowering scale, but
reminiscent in some ways of some of the monstrosities that were constructed in 1970s Britain (and probably elsewhere as
well). Found the complexities of the room layouts around the lift difficult to keep up with, and ended up saving every
time I picked up a key, pressed a switch, or found a secret area, as it might have taken half an hour working out how to
get back there otherwise. Funniest moment was when I had to run back into the teleporter in that vast courtyard outside
the yellow door to escape from three or four Revenant homing rockets which wouldn't stop chasing me.

100% kills, 4/4 secrets, 70 minutes ('sucks')

MAP26
Hey, that's neat structure at the opening, with those mm2 iconic texture on top. Bridges with support of step texture also cool.

Almost everything in this map is somewhat reminiscent of Habitat from TNT: clumsy sprawling aisles, passages behind midtextures, green zones, as well as tricks with lighting and cistern-pipe rooms.
The pinky crusher and chase was fun.
Small cute house in the northern part have interesting decorations. IoS texture here applied for different purposes.

Perhaps they could place more meaty monsters on outside areas.
Mostly relaxing map, and perhaps one of my favorites in this wad.

MAP27
Probably most longest map for me because of finding the yellow key and some other non-intuitive progression. Some time spent just peeking on the automap. I beat it for 46 minutes.

Too much monsters on towers, but it's better cleaning them out first. Though the outside is my favorite part of this map: you can see a whole skybox.
Useless pain elemental behind the cage of yellow door house.

Most important secret with goodies here is at the start. Along with other non-secret places which not counted as secrets but also hard to find.
I've finished map with full ammo, health and armor.

Edited by riderr3

MAP29

Ah, here's Jens Nielsen. I like the way this map allows you to skate past the cyberdemon to yoink the blue key, and from a "getting it done" perspective I also like that it provides one place where you can safely hose him down with plasma (assuming you have it, of course!). I wouldn't want to tackle this from pistol start, as it seems like there would be some pretty gruelling moments, but fully stacked I had a good time.

Jens could do this brick and wood theme in his sleep, so the visuals are fine.

MAP26: Base Exposure

So now the bad stretch, my least favourite maps, starting by this huge, bland, and weird creation. What strikes me is how unfitting it felt compared to the all of the rest, MM2 had very few low points (actually more during this time), and I wouldn't mind the design in, say Mano Laikas or something meme-y, but this really didn't do it for me. Lots of space and long walls of single textures, the rectangular geometry makes them look ugly imo. It does look good at the entrance, and there's a cute house that's about the only detailed part of the map. There isn't much to speak about standout encounters, it's overall easy and practically the very forgiving with some knowledge, ergo secrets. I mean, the thin crushers are probably the only real dangerous part, whereas monsters usually seemed to just occupy some space and many to fight themselves in many occasions. A couple surprise archviles, few hitscan or bad dodging maybe, but that's about it. Also, another weird feature is whenever you pick up a key or weapon, it then pops another one in the first hallway. I suppose those exist for multiplayer. So yeah, one map that aged pretty bad, add me to the club guys, no love for this map. I did fancy the midi, though.

This is a result of improvising at some points, like getting the secret megaspheres in awkward situations, and it all went well, save for the secret soulsphere at the caco/pinky ambush, that jump annoyed me a bit. Also, one secret sector is inaccessible!

MAP27: The Silos

Uh, where the heck are my weapons?!... Oh, yea, secret at the start, right, much better. 

Conceptually interesting, still more huge spaces and bland rooms but with a cool task to do, the map certainly flows better than the previous. This task however involves investigating rooms, flipping a bunch of switches, stepping on teleport pads that God knows where they take you, and very tight corridors, so progression is a bit like Eternal Doom. I spent most of the time unaware of where to go and what to do, but as soon as I saw the bridges, it was only a matter of checking if each switch had been pressed already. Some claustrophobic traps to be seen, like the RK section including the BFG (a bit late to the party though). I still don't know what was the point of the secret with cacos and imps, perhaps a mandatory switch or something I missed. Anyways, interesting overall, and great music.

Another secret that cannot be tagged :/

MAP27

I thought I knew this map like the palm of my hand. I just finished it. 100% kills and max secrets in 17:35. Got stuck twice, at the blue door and I didn't know what action opened the door leading to the BFG. So it is slightly confusing, as much as I would like to reject that statement, I have to admit it...

The finale is very fulfilling, building up these catwalks between towers, beautiful vistas, it made big impression on me. Another time, the same mapper. How he does that?

Trying to be objective, it is not such a great map. Fights seem random. Blue key? A totally chaotic mix of mid-tiers plus an arch-vile. This is the place where normally the secret invulnerability should be used, however, it is there only on skill 4 and 5! Skills 1-3 have a soulsphere instead. So while a full speedrun on skill 4 is a bit harder than on 3, this particular map is much easier.

...Because to exit the map, you only need to press two switches from below, the only difficulty is that the second one is in a courtyard full of arachnotrons, so a detour to the invulnerability makes sense. Pistol start records are below 30 seconds (no invulnerability of course), check them out if you don't believe.

The red key has some tense combats, though both arch-vile fights can be made easier by using dirty tricks. Go through the big blue key door and a small door, press the right computer panel, kill monsters. Don't press the left one, sneak behind the monsters, kill them, only then press the computer panel. Another arch-vile will have appeared from the closet in the ICKWALL/grey area (which is awesome, by the way). Just use the tiny door as a shield.

I like the optional "mountain" fight with the cacos and the arachnotron placement. The rest is nothing special, really.

Rating 5/5 again because nostalgia,  and also architecture (at least some of it).

MAP30

A mostly harmless Icon map, with more preamble than is usual. I skipped a lot of the early combat by just racing through it, though I did occasionally get held up by doors.

The final battle at least doesn't require you to time a perfect rocket shot into the mouth, but there is a bug – the 'yellow' switch is actually a blue one.

MM2 OVERALL

Not every map is a winner, but I think the pack holds up pretty well overall. There aren't many places where it looks outright bad, and while the approach to difficulty is sometimes a bit anti-fun (too much 'stick to cover' pressure via hitscanners at times), it's also twenty years old do the quantity of monsters isn't so high that you should get stuck forever.

I'm pleased with how MAP15 stacks up, in the final analysis. Unlike Anders, I would put it in the top ten maps for the set, possibly top five. It's not flawless, but I'm still happy with how my first genuinely ambitious map came out.

MAP28
Impressive map. If even there no new textures, but the city theme used well. Like the industrial zone partially in hell.
At the start there are many snipers also with roamers which forms strong opposition. Almost every encounter in this map is fun.
I've found yellow key only when returned in first outside area. Just need to look carefully.
You'll have to visit very huge X-shaped building and tall lift inside. In each tower there is switch which can raise the main lift on more higher level.
Only annoying thing is final room series of doors and lifts which leading to keyed bars.