Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aquila Chrysaetos

Eagle Mapping Project - Final (Now on idgames)

20 minutes ago, Garbage said:

Is it possible to utilize frames from the Wolfenstein SS or Commander Keen for the projectile?

Yeah, but that will not help create an all-new projectile attack. There's a limited number of projectile attack function (the ones from the imp, baron&knight, caco, revenant, mancubus, arachnotron, cyberdemon, and pain elemental). So if you want a new projectile attack in DeHackEd, you've got to sacrifice an old to change its projectile. And that means changing the enemy whose attack you repurposed.

Also, you can't change the attack parameters. If you take the mancubus projectile, for example, you'll have to use the mancubus attack functions, which shoot two projectiles at once. So you can't do things like getting barons to use the mancubus projectile because that would mean either making the baron projectile a clone of the manc projectiles (and that's not what we want here, we want to free a projectile for use with a custom monster) or give the baron and knights the mancubus attacks with two projectiles at once.

We discussed it some and we settled on this configuration for the Mastermind:

Base attack of arachnotron plasma at the Mastermind's rate of fire with a secondary attack of three random projectiles in three bursts (nine projectiles).

This would improve the Mastermind without breaking existing encounters very much.

It looks great this project and I would join but as I said in many places, I suck mapping :"v

however if I can help in something i am here

Thanks for the review, Aquila! I'll take what you said into consideration, and make those locked doors bigger. :)

Also, I'm all for improving the Mastermind.

I've updated the resource wad with the Mastermind change, and along with it we have a few extra textures (GEOM).

For a quick preview of what you can expect from this guy:

Screenshot_Doom_20181110_144305.png

He has 5,000 health, slightly lower pain chance, a slightly lower time between targeting and firing, and a slightly smaller collision box.

Be careful using this guy in a map with a BFG, because it's still possible to reliably two-shot him.

Plasma bolt sprites and firing sound modified from Antares' Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

Welp, I'm glad to provide this cutie for everybody, that was quite fun working on it. If anybody has some feedback/critique/suggestions (we will really appreciate it), regarding this new enemy, remember, that it's always possible to tweak this guy, and doing so earlier is definitely better.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Beyond that, I leave it up to you to decide what you want to make. Puzzles, platforming, difficult fights are all welcome here.

[...]

Anyone is welcome to join the project and map for it.

2 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

It looks great this project and I would join but as I said in many places, I suck mapping :"v

however if I can help in something i am here

If you want to make a map for this project, I'm allowing you to do so.

If you like, after you submit your map, I or one of the others can edit it a bit for you.

There isn't a "set bar" to meet on this Project, because I want this to be a fun thing, so Quality Assurance will come more toward the end.

53 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

If you want to make a map for this project, I'm allowing you to do so.

If you like, after you submit your map, I or one of the others can edit it a bit for you.

There isn't a "set bar" to meet on this Project, because I want this to be a fun thing, so Quality Assurance will come more toward the end.

Well, I'll keep it in mind, since I'm not a lover of creating maps, (I'm more of programming xd)

Never mind. I didn't notice that question was asked almost a day before I responded. I also didn't notice that Aquila had already implemented the change.

I agree with BioRenegat's idea to keep the gameplay as close to the original intent as possible, which is why I like Garbage's suggestion. I will readily admit that I don't have much experience with adding custom monsters, but can we just replace the SS Nazi with the Demolisher? I wouldn't recommend replacing the Commander Keen, because some mappers may want to use the 667 tag trick in their map (I wasn't planning on it, I'm just saying someone may want to).

We've already replaced the Mastermind with the Demolisher demon. It's the only change we've made to a monster and there shouldn't be any more.

The Demolisher uses arachnotron plasma for its main attack and a combination of monster attacks for its pain state attack.

No projectiles were replaced, and few frames had to be used for it.

Replacing the SS with it would not allow the Demolisher to inherit the inherit blast resistance that the Mastermind and cyberdemon have, and the intent was really just to improve the Mastermind, not really make a new monster.

Any more dehacked changes should be small and mostly inconsequential to gameplay.

Updated the resource wad with some extra graphics and another black texture.

Also, when you decide on your map's name, state it here and, if you like, choose a color for the text to be.

Available colors are grey, red, green, blue, yellow, and pink.

A couple examples of how the level text will look:

cwilvedrm.png

cwilvacac.png

You may have answered this, but I didn't see it, so I'm asking it again.

Are you intending this mapset to be played from a hub or continuously?

In other words, (obviously) it should be beatable from pistol start, but should ammo and health balancing be done to accommodate continuous play?

I wouldn't worry about continuous balancing. It's so difficult for a community project, that I think it isn't worth the headache.

It would be easy enough to just attach death exits to the end of every map, but it doesn't matter to me either way, make your map as you see fit.

I edited the map according to your suggestions. I agree that having bigger doors at the end does make it more interesting to fight in.

eager2.zip

@obake That's much better, I like how the end goes.

I still think a few wall details would go a long way, but if you like, I can tinker with it at the end and do that for you, just adding some small details here and there to make it look a little better.

Also, I'm proud to announce that @DanielAlexander has decided he'd like to join our project and, with a little prodding from me, @killerkouhai has agreed to try her hand at a Boom map for us, and I'm excited to see the results.

You might be aware of her work with the impressive Infinite Void (or, more properly, Refracted Reality), so I expect we'll see something very nice from her soon.

Also, @therektafire has posted his newest Phoenix Speedmusic Session and we're allowed to use the music produced during it, in a wonderful collaborative work that will, hopefully, earn Phoenix more of the attention it deserves.

This project received much more attention than I expected, and I'm glad that this is turning out so well. I'm excited for our final result.

Quick update from me: my map is coming along well and is fully playable, but still working on a few areas (lighting, detailing, tweaking encounters, and the ending D: ).

Looking forward to seeing everyone's maps!

Here's some pics of how it looks now:

eaglemap_wip1.png.6d4ccb8fb3405e57ff99bc587059db2e.png

eaglemap4.png.83a3e1941ceb6fa6f25893b61b059dfb.pngeaglemap3.png.6963c84dcbb8549fbd4712c6d765ee7f.pngeaglemap2.png.49021df803a9e46aaca9d74a131923f0.pngeaglemap1.png.5c84f887fd2ca4d888f40484b67ecb22.png

14 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The resource wad has been updated with a few extra sprites for the spheres courtesy of @Grain of Salt and @Nevanos.

Do the spheres do something? Or are they just decorative?

Agreed that they do look nice.

Screenshot_Doom_20181120_131744.png.b94be64022042194177f4ea30ef41dee.png

Map Name: Turquoise Glow
Author: Daniel Alexander
Boom Compatible
Single Player only
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 3 days

EagleDA.zip

Feedback is highly appreciated! :D

41 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

Map Name: Turquoise Glow

Nice short punchy map with infighting opportunities. I really love the look - the turqouise colour scheme works really well.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:14 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

@obake That's much better, I like how the end goes. 

I still think a few wall details would go a long way, but if you like, I can tinker with it at the end and do that for you, just adding some small details here and there to make it look a little better.

You can absolutely do that, if you wish. Glad you enjoy it :)

Ehh, I guess I will post my map, not exactly satisfied with it (especially the beginning of it), but I'm currently so booked to the brim with work, that I can't really adjust anything, still, it was high pleasure working on it. I have to thank Aquila and NoReason for their feedback, they provided some invaluable comments for sure, managed to improve bunch of stuff. Here is a link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvak91u69dlyct8/EagleBio.zip?dl=0
Some info:
Tested mostly within prboom+ and glboom, it might act funky within gzdoom though, considering how complex mechanically some of these encounters.
Build time: ~14 days

All difficulties are implemented, though I must warn you, that you might have to wait a tiny bit on HMP and lower difficulties during some of these encounters.
I think that's it? Here are some screenshots of the first half of this map (I already posted them long time ago in another topic though), don't want to spoil much, I guess.

befc0WV.png

y1tQmuF.png

Yy0eGP6.png

QigXe05.png

Here's the initial version of my map, feedback very welcome. A bit rushed and sloppy in the end but I'm more or less happy with it. For

better or worse, I tried as much as possible to just use the new textures from the pack, with some rare exceptions (e.g. key indicators,

lights).

Name: Pacing Death's Trail

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dedifky3wnf59e/eagle_pdt_34.wad?dl=0

Music: "Insurgence" from Jimmy's Harmony MIDI Pack
Build time: ~1 month
Difficulties: Implemented and tested very quickly
Co-op: Added the co-op starts, but not balanced
Tested in: zdoom and briefly in prboom+

Screenshots: See my earlier post:

Edited by WindbagJacket

Amazing. I loved literally every aspect of your map. It actually make these few things I'm going to bring up a little upsetting to me.

The body at the top center here is blocking.

doom138.png

There's a texture misalignment here.

doom139.png

It is possible, albeit difficult, to SR50 across that gap with those bars shut to get the blue berry earlier than intended. I don't see much issue with it, aside from getting the blue berry early. There's also a small texture error on the step on the right.

doom140.png

I did enjoy the combat situations, each one did its own thing that worked well and was fun to go through.

It didn't feel rushed, there was clearly a lot of work put into this map, and I was, frankly, starstruck the entire time.

I also liked the way you placed your secrets, I thought they were very clever in how they were obtained overall.

Solid map. Also, is there a specific color you'd like your map title graphic to be? If not, I'll default to that steel-ish grey.

@WindbagJacket Alright, I got spared  by gods 1 free hour today, might as well spend it by drinking cheap coffee, and testing your wonderful creation. I played your map, and I'm pretty much on the same wavelength as Aquila, it was really delightful experience, visuals are on point, gameplay just oozes with fun, progression is solid, but it isn't without flaws. Besides what Aquila found out, there are also few sectors missing sky transfer action, which creates quite bizarre aurora borealis in the distance (only within prboom+ though, every other port shouldn't show this inconvenience)

Spoiler

rGBv4Dm.png

8zqGmYq.png

And I will say, that I definitely enjoyed all of these encounters, but you can just completely skip final encounter with cyberdemon, or just cheese it by standing behind the blue key door, it's nothing crucial really, but perhaps you should lock the player within this area somehow. (it's more of a personal preference though, not gonna lie)

And, I guess that's it? I also recorded demo of your map with prboom+ (my first attempt at it), not sure if you have it or not, since you mentioned that you only tested your map in zdoom, if that's the case, I can upload this demo as a video, so that you could watch it regardless of if you have necessary tools or not. Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csc1zetsqpmh8pa/EagleWindbag.lmp?dl=0 

Yeah, so, thanks for creating this nice little experience.