Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance

November, 2018

aBuCFBz.png

> Download TNT: Renascence

> Download TNT: Resistance
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboard

1. [1] Survived [2:35:25] Bloodite Krypto - In the land of the blind, the Bloodites are king.
  2. [1] Survived [4:49:04] an_mutt - Well I'll be dead and rained on, mutt's just snagged himself a bloody Brit Bowl. Christmas comes early! Nice!
  3. [1] Survived [4:52:27] Beginner - Back on the winners list, and in a big way! Nicely done.
  4. [1] Survived [4:58:33] leodoom85 - Threw down the gauntlet then backed up it for the fifth time running. Man, what is going on?
  5. [1] 17 levels Roofi - Needed to pad his fire Resistance stats. Damn, I need to work on these puns before the month gets going. Good run.
  6. [2] 15 levels gaspe - joe-ilya strikes again with a near-perfect re-enactment of antares' death. Renascence well-cleared.
  7. [1] 10 levels antares031 - Needed to brush up on his frogger skills for the inmates in Prison. Also: weapon switch priorities.
  8. [1] 09 levels NaZa - Perforation complex. Shredded on both counts.
  9. [2] 07 levels NoisyVelvet - Sucker-smacked into the turf in the Wormhole do-over. In a frankly hilarious manner if may say so, too. (DNF)
  10. [1] 05 levels SSGmaster - Took a wrong turn near a dark alley in Resistance. Left an almighty stain in Neo Wormhole.
  11. [2] 05 levels Catpho - It's the return of our old friend, the Guantanamo Heatwave! Nicely cooked.
  12. [3] 04 levels Aquila Chrysaetos - It's moments like this where Our Hero wishes he could bend at the knees. Clocks out on Crystal Protocol. (DNF)
  13. [1] 04 levels duvel - Mulched by the chaingun gang in Wormhole. De-boned by sous-chef le douche in Crystal Protocol. Wow!
  14. [1] 04 levels DMPhobos - Phobos killed himself. :)
  15. [1] 04 levels Malrionn - Gotta hand it to Old Joe; he's a master fisherman reeling in all those marines. (DNF)
  16. [1] 03 levels Yugiboy85 - I was hoping for a dignified RL end to the run, at first... but then we wouldn't see you get shot through the wall. (DNF)
  17. [1] 02 levels Anima Zero - You make your own luck in Doom, most of the time, but damn if that Renascence death isn't silly.
  18. [1] 00 levels Pegleg - Your treasure is on another island, matey!

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In November 2018, Alfonzo swears that he doesn't just pair up episodes sometimes because they have similar names. Honest! TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance are two vanilla sets for everyone's favorite mishmash IWAD (-complevel 4 (Doom (strict))) but with very distinctive leans. Resistance is a love letter penned by @valkiriforce and friends in 2016 with a spirited focus on sprawling bases. The other, older Renascence is part of a stalled series of WADs made by Alexander "Eternal" S. that re-imagines the layouts of commercial OS Doom. Both will offer a fair challenge, though Resistance is ultimately more difficult and choked with chaingunners heh heh heh :)

As with the Darkening E1 & E2 a couple of months ago, this uses the dual set rules. One life per set, played in any order you see fit; cumulative times and maps beaten; survival acknowledged only if you make it through both.

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• MAP07 of Renascence has a series of key bars that you may think are bugged when you use them. They're not. Don't DNF.
prboom-plus -iwad tnt -file tnt-ren -complevel 4 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only; no pistol-starting.
  • No additional wads may be loaded.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps.
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on MAP01 of a set or because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his/her competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):
  1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. Before declaring my official run I:
    • Played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's challenge, and/or
    • Inspected the WAD's level design in an editor, and/or
    • Watched non-ironman recordings of the WAD

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)
The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)
The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

Doom 64 for Doom 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Wha.....what are those wads? Never heard of them lol...

Guess that I'll go blind and survive both of them.

Hey folks! There have been a couple of rule changes based on discussions resulting from your continued feedback — much appreciated. Here's the quick run-down; it's nothing too significant.

• Additional WADs of any kind may no longer be loaded alongside the hosted WADs.
  • Dynamic lights and brightmaps are no longer permitted (until the advent of ZDoom stuff eyyy).
  • If the stream/video/demo recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are no longer permitted a second go. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result. You may load from a saved game file only if you didn't progress past the save point (as determined on a case-by-case basis. As a general rule, though: you can't have moved much and you can't have killed anything).
  • Inspection of the WAD's maps via an editor and observance of pre-Ironman demos and recordings will now qualify the official run as category 3.

You may notice that there's nothing mandating "single sitting" runs despite my making all sorts of noises to that end when things were running hot. I've decided to hold back on that decision based partly on some sound reasoning by @Crusader No Regret. Indeed, the system wasn't broken, and I've considered a number of other mitigating factors since then that would make such a ruling seem strangely punishing, especially given the leniency that is given in other areas. @HexaDoken may be interested in this development.

Less blabber from me this month. Happy trails!

Edited by Alfonzo : Clarification

Those are bold words leo, good luck! :P

Another blind set for me, I might find some time to practice... but then deadlines are also catching up on me!

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Guess that I'll go blind and survive both of them.

Confidence. I like it.

image.png.2f04e5abecb3b1956c47d714f06923e3.png

Best of luck!

Sorry for double post but, checked the rules and this is my opinion.

- First one? Gotcha, no additional wads for a clear demo 

- Second one? I use prboom+ anyway, so...not an issue :)

- Third one? That's quite the specific issue which, unfortunately, won't be quite clear...

- Fourth one? How can you recognize a prerun from an official run? Through file modification from date or something?

Resistance? That's fitting since we're

Might actually do my runs today since I have some free time on my hands.

1 hour ago, Alfonzo said:

prboom-plus -file tnt-ren -deh d64d2.deh -complevel 4 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Got an unnecessary -deh in there. Also should include -iwad tnt.wad

TNT Renascence: 

UV, Blind (Although, I do remember the orignal tnt a bit)

Died on map 04

Spoiler

Was doing rather well but then, panicked when I saw a group of chaingunners. I retracted myself and in the process, rocketed myself in the face, putting my health down to 6%. Then, got finished by some chaingunner :/

Forgot to mention, but: Recorded under prboom+ 2.5.1.4 

YB-RenIRON-nov18.zip

Edited by Yugiboy85

That didn't take long, I'm already done since I died very early in both wads (MAP03 and MAP02 respectively if I'm not wrong). Got taken down by surprise traps twice. The enemies even anticipated my fall with great precision in Resistance by lighting up a candle in my memory exactly where my final resting place would be.

Cat 1, as usual. Wish I'd do a better job but ugh, playing maps in the vein of MAP02 of Resistance is definitely not going to go well :v .

ncu68oM.png

agent6tntren.zip

agent6tntresist.zip

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Third one? That's quite the specific issue which, unfortunately, won't be quite clear...

If your game crashes, you're done for. If your stream goes offline and you don't have a backup demo running to save proof, same thing.

Your choice of recording has to follow the game from A to B with no blind spots, where B is death, survival or a lightning storm knocking out the power grid. You don't get to go back to A and unless Zeus was considerate enough to kill GZDoom seconds after it autosaves at the beginning of the next level, you don't get to go back to B either.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Fourth one? How can you recognize a prerun from an official run? Through file modification from date or something?

Preparation runs for cat 3 are okay because they're part of the program. Otherwise, if it isn't a submission in this thread, it'll make your run cat 3. I'll change the wording if necessary.

37 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

You don't get to go back to A and unless Zeus was considerate enough to kill GZDoom seconds after it autosaves at the beginning of the next level, you don't get to go back to B either.

Zeus can go fuck himself :(
yeah.....

Well, that's good for clarification.

2 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Also should include -iwad tnt.wad

I suppose that should have been evident to me from the titles, but I didn't even think about this requiring TNT.wad until seeing this post. As I don't own a copy of Final Doom, I won't be able to join in the fun. And here I was, all ready to play these blind instead of practicing, on account of my month being packed. I was looking forward to testing out if my play has improved, like I think it has.

Oh well, maybe I'll end up getting a copy sometime this month. We'll see if I can talk myself into it.

I assume playing with the wrong iwad wouldn't be accepted?

You could play it with FreeDoom, which has all the assets necessary to run Final Doom PWADs properly. I'm pretty sure even if you record it that way others will still be able to play it back in the real thing.

I don't think a demo recorded with a different IWAD will desync, but the issue with running it with, say, Doom II, would be that there would be a lot of missing textures.

So I think FreeDoom would be the thing to get.

I look forward to playing both of these later in the month after @an_mutt and @Dragonfly have had their attempts. Just as a reminder, I'm out of the Britbowl but I will still be doing Ironman runs for the rest of the year.....I wouldn't mind throwing a spanner into the works for the remaining two Britbowl contestants!

#Team5-5-2

2 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

You could play it with FreeDoom, which has all the assets necessary to run Final Doom PWADs properly. I'm pretty sure even if you record it that way others will still be able to play it back in the real thing.

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I don't think a demo recorded with a different IWAD will desync, but the issue with running it with, say, Doom II, would be that there would be a lot of missing textures.

So I think FreeDoom would be the thing to get.

OK. Thanks for the suggestion. I had been planning on using GZDoom, so there would at least have been the cross-hatched "missing texture" texture instead of HOMs, but the FreeDoom angle will be better with PrBoom+, which I typically use and am I used to.

I have a copy of FreeDoom (I downloaded it in 2016, so I'll have to make sure it's the latest version), so I'll use it to play these. Like I said earlier, busy month, so I'll probably do a blind run either this weekend or next weekend. Honestly, if it doesn't happen by the evening of the 10th, it's most likely not happening.

@Alfonzo

By the way, nice job getting the leaderboard for last month updated as quickly as you did. Nice recovery from last month.

14 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

By the way, nice job getting the leaderboard for last month updated as quickly as you did. Nice recovery from last month.

I appreciate the update btw as well as the rest of participants :)

Renascence - DEAD Map04

6QojUW5.gif

Resistance - DEAD Map05 (the demo didn't "wrap up properly" because prboom crashed on exit, but I screencapped the scene of death.)

7PtK83o.jpg

demos: noisy_TNT-Nov2018.zip

edit: I played some of AD/Fonzo's map in the one set, so a low Category 2.

A fairly good one! I forgot how it feels to have good luck through the run.

doom01.png.f1e6078bb84d3d8c85cddfead07dbc2c.png

CATEGORY: 1

DEATH: MAP05 (Renascence - chaingunner) and MAP06 (Resistance - chaingunner)

TOTAL MAPS SURVIVED: 9

LINK: naza_tnts.zip

A great run. Renascence I got lost on MAP02 and MAP03. I could have exited MAP02 five minutes earlier due to an accidental key grab, and MAP03 had this weird switch mechanism which I did but I forgot one so I looped around for five minutes. Accidentally exited MAP04 because nothing said that was the exit itself, and Lady Luck decided enough is enough when I stepped out too early on MAP05 to deal with some chaingunners - until that the map was quite easy.

Surviving Resistance was always going to be tricky (seeing other people's disastrous runs on MAP02 gave me little hope), and with the limited ammunition I had on hand I had to make a run for in on MAP02 - it played out well, but man, the mappers overused the arch-viles. Barons are used good to build up tension. MAP03 was not an easy one, due to quite a surprise near the end. MAP04 was quite a map, favourite one I'd played yet. MAP05 tried to be tough with extremely unfair monster ambushes to simulate """difficulty""" but in the end it was more stupid than difficult. MAP06 was a Scottymap so I knew I'd probably meet my fate there - it happened similarly to MAP06 of Coffee Break, where my brain went zero and chaingunners shredded me.

Overall, I'm very happy with my run, and I hope I get a better placing than last month. Leaderboard will be updated shortly.

Lost my PC access again so I'm going to have to find a Mac demo recording solution.

With Eternity, what's the easiest way to set compatibility with the contest conditions? EE doesn't appear to have PrBoom+ complevel or ZDoom compatibility mode equivalents, just individual feature options. And some of the individual options are a little head-scratching to me...

2 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Lost my PC access again so I'm going to have to find a Mac demo recording solution.

I think you could use GZDoom (which can be run natively on a Mac). Otherwise, I use PrBoom+ on my Mac. Being rather unsavvy when it comes to tech, I had to ask for help because I kept running into problems. You may would likely have more success more easily.

@Alfonzo Oops , I accenditaly wrote "complevel 1" instead of "category 1" , so my run isn't cat 2.