Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Diablo Immortal

Diablo 2's producer is siding with the fans on this one. "What you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore". He has quite a bit to say about this, and it's well worth reading through his recent Twitter feed. I like this guy.

https://twitter.com/Grummz

Edited by Ajora

2 hours ago, SYS said:

There's way more people in China willing to buy and play that game than there are bum hurt Gweilo. 

They're laughing all the way to bank. 

If they want to make money with cheaply made kids games that's fine.

But they shouldn't claim that they "listen to their fans" because they don't. NO legit Diablo fan asked for a crappy mobile game.

The reviews of crusaders of light are absolutely hilarious. A few pages of 5 star reviews with nothing written and some by "journalists" who finally decided to try it and found it amazing all in the past week. A few pages later and the complain barrages from previous month emerge. Nice friends you got there Blizzard.

I have a really hard time believing that Blizzard would lack so much self awareness that they couldn't predict the reactions to announcing a project like this in this manner at Blizzcon. It seems more likely to me that all of this was mandated by Activision's leadership shoehorning it into Blizzard's event. They're the ones out of touch with how fandom culture works, just looks at numbers without proper context, and probably thinks "mobile gaming industry is really big, Diablo is a bankable brand we have, and we also have this big convention we can unveil it at for huge media coverage. It'll be perfect!"

It just like you take C&C series and announcing C&C: rivals on any huge game con. Well, at least general reaction totally says about. BUT that doesn't look that bad, for me at least.

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

Diablo 2's producer is siding with the fans on this one. "What you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore". He has quite a bit to say about this, and it's well worth reading through his recent Twitter feed. I like this guy.

https://twitter.com/Grummz

I saw that this morning, yeah it about hits the nail on the head.  The more I think on it, the more I'm perplexed by how they announced this.

Oh Blizzard understands gamers just fine. They know they don't need to give a fuck, because they'll just shit out some more Overwatch content and poop out another WoW expansion and everyone will just forget what happened because "Oh boy I love eating Blizzard's shit!". Diablo Immortal now got a huge advertisement campaign for free because there's no thing called bad publicity.

The Blizzard that made games out of love and care died years ago. I dunno exactly when, because it kind of depends on what you care for in games. My gut says it died after The Burning Crusade. Friend claims it died after Warcraft 3. And I know some people put the moment of death after Diablo 2, what with Warcraft 3 sanitizing the Warcraft universe from all the dark shit like orcs sacrificing humans on altars or renaming Demons to "TITUNZ".

Lol the game that got the biggest promotion out of this fiasco is Path of Exile followed by Grim Dawn and Torchlight. Not this shitty gacha game.

What is that nonsense about warcraft 3? The burning legions are even referred to as demons in-game. Arthas fucking kills his own citizens to stop them from joining the undead, who pretty much killed everyone with poison. Hell the very first tutorial mission in the game has orcs kidnapping humans to sacrifice them, which they do in the next mission.

The sad thing is i was super excited about the Ashe announcement, and unlike Diablo Immortal the fans actually wanted more OW content. That Blizzcon should have started and ended with that.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Lol the game that got the biggest promotion out of this fiasco is Path of Exile followed by Grim Dawn and Torchlight. Not this shitty gacha game.

What is that nonsense about warcraft 3? The burning legions are even referred to as demons in-game. Arthas fucking kills his own citizens to stop them from joining the undead, who pretty much killed everyone with poison. Hell the very first tutorial mission in the game has orcs kidnapping humans to sacrifice them, which they do in the next mission.

Yes, yes, yes. I might have gone too far in a few places. I still think that Jar-Jar is key... I mean, my point that Blizzard has sanitized their games of all the delicious dark bits still stands though.

If Blizzard had made Doom instead of id, Doom2016 would have had you fight robot demons instead of actual demons. That's the kind of change Blizzard has made in recent years.

On 11/4/2018 at 12:41 PM, geo said:

I am just parroting this, someone else can fact check for me. Someone without a source is saying this is an outsourced game to a developer in China that already has a similar game.

One local game site confirm this too. Is going to be game that allready exist but re-skinned. I would like to say something "smart" but im speechless. Are they think mobile gamers are dumb?

3 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

The Blizzard that made games out of love and care died years ago. I dunno exactly when, because it kind of depends on what you care for in games. My gut says it died after The Burning Crusade. Friend claims it died after Warcraft 3. And I know some people put the moment of death after Diablo 2, what with Warcraft 3 sanitizing the Warcraft universe from all the dark shit like orcs sacrificing humans on altars or renaming Demons to "TITUNZ".

More or less the sentiment I was looking to see; I don't really have stock in this brouhaha beyond being amazed that there is a brouhaha about it.  Blizzard to me was a company that made some cool stuff back in the 90s but is hardly relevant to anything I'd be interested in today.  They were dead to me all the way back when they decided they were going to focus on MMO stuff at the very least.  And I always thought people already considered the Diablo franchise to be dead and buried after how Diablo 3 also got massively negative reception.  Or has that been forgotten about already?

Aside from how the auction house warped the economy, I don't really get why people hate Diablo 3 so much. I think it looks pretty good. Though I'm probably better off not going near it, as I'd rather not turn into this guy:

U5BCHox.jpg

Diablo 3 lacks many things Diablo 2 had, so it's very simple in comparison. I haven't played D3, just have read about it. And game's look is not everything.

Diablo 3 is simple, you basically do the same thing over and over again, farming to get better items for your character in order to push higher in Greater Rifts, which is the only end game option. Since there's no trading nor pvp, it gets boring pretty fast as your only option is to just farm infinite paragon levels. 

E: Variety is also very limited as to be able to push the highest tier possible, you gotta have the ONLY viable build for each class in order to achieve that.

Or Blizzard wants into that Chinese market with a partner who already has a foot hold in China making that knock off. Someone can correct me with how ignorant I am, but I hear they have Android devices and PCs that can run DOOM, but not much else.

If people are still playing Diablo II and III, they can continue playing, but now there will be a mobile version so you can play it on a plane, train or automobile in your self driving car. Perhaps get the teenagers playing it on long car rides so they don't have to ask "are we there yet?" Let a cat play it with the fancy new touch screen controls. Cat casts magical spells that make the screen glitter.

You can play on phone any other MMORPG too, because they all are the same cashgrab garbage. Do you think Diablo Immortal is any different? Put "Snickers" label on S***, will it be tasty? Netease with blizzard just made a deal to make MONEY from Diablo name, that's all.

how is "scrapping an announcement for a game that would be more desirable a few weeks before event where unpopular mobile game was announced" damage control

doesn't that just make the problem worse

3 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

how is "scrapping an announcement for a game that would be more desirable a few weeks before event where unpopular mobile game was announced" damage control

doesn't that just make the problem worse

What this rumor is saying is that they are working on Diablo 4 and that was supposed to be the true reveal, but for whatever reason they decided against it. Suggesting to their fans that "hey look we weren't planning to just show you a mobile game, we are working on an actual successor for Diablo too". Whether it's true or not is anyone's guess, but since it's "not ready to be shown" that means they got plenty of time to get started on it should that not be the case.

The hypothesis is that the suits and shareholders are really fucking nervous about the amount of projects Blizzard cancels (Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft Ghost, TITAN) and the suits really want to keep a lid on any games they produce to control fan expectations. Diablo 4 has gone through two iterations already is the rumour? Also, the shitstorm regarding D3's launch makes Blizzard very nervous in general about Diablo.

Diablo 4 is probably getting delayed to make sure they have the right amount of micro-transactions and over-simplification to make sure its "fun for everyone".

The Diablo 3 version we got made little to no sense in the story arc of Diablo 1 + 2. 

Not sure why people don't just realize the name is just a brand by now.

This video here shows what was supposed to be the real sequel to Diablo 3 we're you'd fight angels iirc

Edited by JBerg