Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchDoomer

Which Video Card is better for GZDoom??

Im curious....

i got 2 gpu's laying here and im not sure which one would be best for gzdoom

mainly for mods like brutal doom,project brutality etc...

the cards are ATI Radeon RX 550 2gb and NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 1gb

i keep hearing nvidia is much better for open gl but the radeon is a much much faster and also newer card

then the geforce...

My full specs are since you probably will ask its a AMD Ryzen 1500x,8gb ddr4,Kingston ssd,and one of the GPU's

nothing special...

thing is that makes me want to pick the ati is because the ati has 1,300gflops and the nvidia has 300gflops lol so yeah much faster

but will it be faster in gzdoom too???

While both cards are nothing to write home about you can use the 550 and junk the 710.

But since you have them both why don't you benchmark them side by side if you're concerned?

The ATI card has double the video-ram of the nVidia. That alone makes it likely a better choice, even aside from being much faster.  If you are able, I'd test both, but I would be amazed if the nVidia card came out faster, even with more efficient OpenGL support. 

18 minutes ago, iori said:

While both cards are nothing to write home about you can use the 550 and junk the 710.

But since you have them both why don't you benchmark them side by side if you're concerned?

well yeah i know they are both junk and crappy thats why i said for gzdoom only cause ill be only using it for doom...

you dont need a gtx 1080 ti for brutal doom dude lol...waste of a 400$ but thanks i know which one to use now...

4 minutes ago, Bauul said:

The ATI card has double the video-ram of the nVidia. That alone makes it likely a better choice, even aside from being much faster.  If you are able, I'd test both, but I would be amazed if the nVidia card came out faster, even with more efficient OpenGL support. 

alright thanks bro...

i can finish up my doom pc now ;p

Like iori said, test both of them to see which gives better performance.

I have a laptop that has a dedicated GPU and an integrated GPU.

The dedicated GPU is AMD Radeon 530

The integrated GPU is Intel UHD Graphics 620

U guys might be surprised to hear this but in GZDoom, I actually get slightly better frames using integrated graphics. Even though the dedicated graphics card is much faster in most games, when it comes to OpenGL games the dedicated gpu is only slightly faster than integrated gpu and in rare cases like GZdoom, it is slightly slower.

Edited by ReaperAA

About a year ago (give or take several months), I needed a new GFX card fast, and couldn't get the GTX 1060 or 1070 I was going to save up for, so I got a GT 1030, which has served me just fine. I wanted an Nvidia card because I heard that they are better specifically for GZDoom.

39 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I wanted an Nvidia card because I heard that they are better specifically for GZDoom.

Yup, I learned that the hard way with my laptop. I should have bought one with a dedicated Nvidia gpu instead of dedicated AMD gpu.

18 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

U guys might be surprised to hear this but in GZDoom, I actually get slightly better frames using integrated graphics. Even though the dedicated graphics card is much faster in most games, when it comes to OpenGL games the dedicated gpu is only slightly faster than integrated gpu and in rare cases like GZdoom, it is slightly slower.

Iirc Gzdoom isnt built with AMD gpu's in mind, so they are notoriously unoptimized.

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

Iirc Gzdoom isnt built with AMD gpu's in mind, so they are notoriously unoptimized.

Though I was kind of aware that AMD GPUs have lower OpenGL performance compared to an equivalent/equally-powerful Nvidia or Intel GPU but I wasn't expecting THIS much of difference, to a point where the Intel integrated GPU performs better than the dedicated GPU. If only I knew :(

Even now GZDooM devs has AMD GPUs to test, AMD's driver on OpenGL performance still the biggest problem and it doesn't help too much. So they hope Vulkan support(in planned) in future would helps to AMD graphic card users.

15 hours ago, Player Lin said:

So they hope Vulkan support(in planned) in future would helps to AMD graphic card users.

Wait, r u talking about GZdoom having vulkan support in future? That would be awesome.

used to be an ati guy, back in the day. rage pro, fury, 9700. actually my first foray into working with computers was installing a special driver so that i could play glquake2. shouldve been a red flag lol but i didnt know any better. in a way i guess im thankful to ati for that. but, ended up trying nvidia and got spoiled on things mostly just working. and ive never looked back. maybe things have changed for the better, it has been a long time. im about to get a 1080 ti now that prices are finally reasonable. 

Linking this from the zdoom forums since it is related:

I'm closing this. Consider ATI GL 3 hardware unsupported as of the next release. I do not have such hardware and the driver is far too buggy to consider further support for it.
User share right now is slightly less than 1%.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61911&start=15#p1078902

My recommendation is to look for only nvidia cards in the future for gzdoom playing, as that seems to be the only card being optimized for the engine at this time. Honestly Idk that I would be among the first to gamble on vulkan support either.

I'm curios which card is better for You. RX 550 as a card is better than 710, but who knows how it is in gzdoom.