Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saad356

Eternal doom wad

Fellow doomers

Whenever I search for eternal doom (not doom eternal)

i get eternal 3 and eternal 4

isnt there a eternal 2 or eternal 1

Because eternal doom parts were merged in one megawad, except for fourth part of eternal doom. If you search deep enough you'll find that megawad. 

are the early version of the wad still out there? I tried hunting down through some of the wad repositories but what everyone has is the popular final version...

2 hours ago, OleBumma said:

are the early version of the wad still out there? I tried hunting down through some of the wad repositories but what everyone has is the popular final version...

Interesting question. The oldest version I own is a pre-release one containing levels 01 - 28 (so without Jims secret-levels, cyber-sweeper and my credits still as level 28). But absent from the sequence of levels (and the missing ones) its almost the same as the final release. I should have kept some of the earlier versions because we changed a lot even in the first levels over the production. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:45 AM, theDia said:

Interesting question. The oldest version I own is a pre-release one containing levels 01 - 28 (so without Jims secret-levels, cyber-sweeper and my credits still as level 28). But absent from the sequence of levels (and the missing ones) its almost the same as the final release. I should have kept some of the earlier versions because we changed a lot even in the first levels over the production. 

now that made me even more interested in taking a look at how those changes were being made.. damn I wish I was already around by that time :p
yep, I didn't have the mindset of cherishing my old data with a little more attention, who really had it back then? people we're constantly trying save up storage space on their hard disks and portable sources! :\

Marcaek has the correct link. Ditch your existing downloads and use that.

If memory serves, it was released in sections and the fourth section was delayed for some time. And when it released I think they called the whole thing Eternal Doom IV which was slightly confusing to the casual observer. Definitely a bit confusing at times but otherwise a classic and stylistically fairly unique at the time, it's on my mental list of classics to revisit next time the mood takes me.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:45 AM, theDia said:

Here are the first and second releases:

eter_1_2.zip

Double zipped to preserve them exactly as they were when I downloaded them. You can open the exe for the upgrade to Eternal 2 using, e.g., 7z. No need to execute it.

BTW, the file you get from upgrading 1 to 2 to 3 doesn't quite match the one you get from downloading Eternal 3 directly, as some demos desync. Possibly the differences are very small.

Murdoch said:

If memory serves, it was released in sections and the fourth section was delayed for some time. And when it released I think they called the whole thing Eternal Doom IV which was slightly confusing to the casual observer.

Memory does not serve. Eternal 4 was a standalone project. 1, 2 and 3 were three releases of the Eternal Doom project.

Edited by Grazza

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Here are the first and second releases:

eter_1_2.zip

Double zipped to preserve them exactly as they were when I downloaded them. You can open the exe for the upgrade to Eternal 2 using, e.g., 7z. No need to execute it.

Thanks a lot @Grazza - especially for EDII on which I was production manager. If anyone will give this version a playthrough I would be very happy to help out with some background infos about the production. :)

thanks a million, @Grazza , that was very kind of you!

I'm glad I didn't resurrect this old thread in vain :)

yeah, Eternal IV was a tribute project made by another team, if I stand correct, but can't remember who put it out right now.

3 hours ago, OleBumma said:

yeah, Eternal IV was a tribute project made by another team, if I stand correct, but can't remember who put it out right now.

Not really. It was a project hosted by TeamTNT and some of the older Eternal-Crew ( @ChrisC , @rfnagel, @PSchmitz , Jim and myself) where involved at the start. After my first version of Invicity (now part of Golden City - see below) was rejected, because it didn't fit graphically, I left the project and a.f.a.I.r. @Tormentor667  entered. 

What we got in the end was a 7 Map-Teaser wich was very impressive, but also brought normal PCs of this time to it's knees. :)

For Eternal Fans I can recommend "Legacy of heroes" by @gaspe (classic ED-feeling, big levels and a lot of switch-/key-hunting) and my own "Golden City", which takes the Eternal Doom Idea in another direction (and is based on the rejected EDIV Level). :)