Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Bethesda.net issues

On 12/16/2018 at 4:54 AM, MrSkeltal said:

They're the ones who fund these games.

Like I mentioned a few posts up, crowd fund it. I have no doubt, none, that id couldve raised all the money themselves. i wont preorder a game from a monolithic publisher like bethesda. that doesnt mean i wouldnt pay id upfront. Too bad its so hard to undo these things.

i mean thats what the publisher does anyway. use other peoples money, regardless of what account the funds are drawn from.

better to be beholden to the customer alone than middleman who promises the world as he poisons the well.

if you need a publisher, fine. but dont be surprised when they put themselves ahead of the producers and the consumers and then complain that they didnt get their moneys worth.

Edited by rampancy

People are now getting banned from the service for having Cheat Engine just installed on their computer, even if it's never being run at all, or not being specifically run with any Bethesda games.

There are rumors circulating also that people are getting banned for using ReShade, or for modding the game.

kinda reminds you of when the egyptians forced the jews to play all their games through some crummy 3rd party launcher. and look how that ended up, fucking raining frogs. 

im warning you bethesda, let my people go.

7 hours ago, Quasar said:

or for modding the game.

Which is pretty strange since Howard himself said they very much intend to support mods. 5:00 onward:

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Which is pretty strange since Howard himself said they very much intend to support mods.

Yeah, except they probably mean their goddamn Creation Club. But oh my god, how is Bethesda not able to keep away from fuck-ups for at least a few weeks? It's insane.

Also, an essay? Jesus christ.

I think Howard keeps saying what he expects that the customers want without any thought of the consequences or intentions of following through.

18 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Yeah, except they probably mean their goddamn Creation Club. But oh my god, how is Bethesda not able to keep away from fuck-ups for at least a few weeks? It's insane.

Also, an essay? Jesus christ.

Yeah, that's what I think too, by "mod support" referring to (probably) Creation Club exclusively, no Nexus Mods, no nothing.

It's amazing how Bethesda managed to damage their reputation so easy in just one year thanks to Fallout 76 and all the shit surrounding the game. There's plenty of stuff you can check on Sid's channel. Bethesda's been a comedy of failures and mistakes in 2018.

4 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

I heard on the Reddit forums that people getting banned for mods is a possible misconception, and I hope that's true.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out their anti-cheat software is absolute trash though, unable to tell the difference between cheats and mods.

40 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out their anti-cheat software is absolute trash though, unable to tell the difference between cheats and mods.

Is there even a difference in this context? Logistically I don't see how you could tell the difference between a mod that replaces all the textures with Nicolas Cage, or a mod that changes all the textures to be transparent essentially being a brute-force wallhack.

16 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Is there even a difference in this context? Logistically I don't see how you could tell the difference between a mod that replaces all the textures with Nicolas Cage, or a mod that changes all the textures to be transparent essentially being a brute-force wallhack.

That wasn't exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that post. I was thinking more between the lines of "changes to the game files will result in a ban, regardless of what and to what extend were the modifications made".

You did raise a good question however. What kind of mods is F76 going to support, provided that mod support does eventually happen. 

All these cages like Steam and others looks funny to me. Devs doing that to fight against piracy, but it also gives more motivation to "pirates". "Buy game, login to play, do not mod!" really sounds like challenge to hack the game.

7 hours ago, Rimantas said:

All these cages like Steam and others looks funny to me. Devs doing that to fight against piracy, but it also gives more motivation to "pirates". "Buy game, login to play, do not mod!" really sounds like challenge to hack the game.

Yeah, that's the irony. DRM only works against the people who pay for their games.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, KVELLER said:

Yeah, that's the irony. DRM only works against the people who pay for their games.

yep

Edited by rampancy

I really hope Bethesda doesn't force Doom Eternal to be exclusive to their own launcher. Before, I wouldn't have thought that could be a problem but RAGE 2 has proven that they're willing to hold id Software's games ransom.

Just recently, I was extremely bored, and I also have way too much time on my hands, so I decided to do some "experiments" to see how the Beth.net client works now. Using Fallout Shelter, I decided to see how the launcher handles things like downloads and offline play. I specifically mentioned using Fallout Shelter as a reference point as this may not apply to every other game on the platform, but I think it will give a good perspective on how it holds up now.

Thankfully, unlike my previous experiences with the Quake Champions beta, the game downloaded very well. Whether I directly pause the download, minimize the window, completely close the client, or have the internet disconnect during the process, the download continues where it left off very quickly once it's given the chance. Not to mention, the speeds were buttery smooth.

After that, I decided to see how the game would play offline and/or logged off. When launching the game through the client for the first time, it would require a "first-time installation" process or something along those lines, which not only requires you to be online when it happens, but the client needs to be run as an administrator or else it won't work, though once you go through that process those extra steps are no longer required each subsequent time you launch the game. If you try to run the game after that with the client running but the internet down it runs just fine. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, if you try to start up the client while offline, you can't proceed as you will just be left with the login page. However, if you want to play the game while in this situation, there is a workaround; if you launch the game directly from the .exe, it will start up just fine, you don't need to be online, have the launcher running in the background or even need to do the "first-time installation process" if you first run it this way, technically making the game DRM-free (maybe, idk, I haven't bothered switching the installation to a different folder or device so maybe there's some extra measure hidden I don't know about). It should also be noted that upon starting Fallout Shelter up like this, it mentions an "Offline Mode" and suggests trouble-shooting the Beth.net launcher, perhaps indicating that there are intentions for a connection-less mode for the client, it's just that it's broken or yet to be implemented. One more thing, if you launch directly from the .exe, even if online, logged in and the client running, it still says that it's "offline", so there's that I guess.

This launcher still has issues, like the fact that it still redirects you to your browser if you want to change your account settings for instance, but overall it's much better than my previous experiences and for me it likely won't get in the way if I want to play games that require it (which is good because I'm still really excited not only for DOOM Eternal, but also RAGE 2). It don't think it's a deal-breaker like many people say it is.

That being said, DOOM Eternal and all other upcoming Bethesda games should still be on Steam at launch. Options are a good thing and lacking that will not only piss people off, but it's also an action I highly doubt will pay-off for Bethesda. I don't want these games to fail.

2 hours ago, chemo said:

but the client needs to be run as an administrator or else it won't work

2 hours ago, chemo said:

This launcher still has issues, like the fact that it still redirects you to your browser if you want to change your account settings for instance

EA is that you?

Bit off-topic, but EA's Origin still suffers from the same issues after all those years, their support is an absolute joke too. In the case of the first however, it would sometimes boot up to a blank window if not run as administrator. Tells you how much both have to catch up.

I just realized: I, quite literally, cannot buy anything from the Bethesda store. Steam lets me pay with my debit card using my country's currency, so it's a pretty simple process, but Bethesda.net won't even let me use PayPal ffs, only credit card (which I don't have). So... yeah.

9 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I just realized: I, quite literally, cannot buy anything from the Bethesda store. Steam lets me pay with my debit card using my country's currency, so it's a pretty simple process, but Bethesda.net won't even let me use PayPal ffs, only credit card (which I don't have). So... yeah.

Fallout 76 and RAGE 2 can also be bought from places like GreenManGaming and the Humble Store.

1 hour ago, chemo said:

Fallout 76

bethesda should pay people to play it, not vice versa. sorry for offtopic, just couldn't resist...

44 minutes ago, ketmar said:

bethesda should pay people to play it, not vice versa. sorry for offtopic, just couldn't resist...

I'm enjoying the game, but I understand some people's frustration over it.

This was a pretty smart thing for them to do, honestly. Not only does it nonetheless give them good PR and reassurance, the timing makes it a great big middle finger to Epic and the other game companies who have signed up for exclusivity with them.

But will it still require Bethesda launcher, like Ubisoft and Rockstar?

7 minutes ago, igg said:

Doubt it and hopefully not.

I'm pumped though!!  Great news!

8 minutes ago, igg said:

Quake Champions requires a Beth.net account but doesn't use the launcher itself.