Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I HATE the Doom 64 lost soul

14 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

You should play Doom 64 btw.

Yeah, it's on my to-play list.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It's not too bad if you are using the PC EX port or some other D64 mod. But if you want to play it on an actual N64 which doesn't have any mid-game saving and also suffers from forcing you to use the mediocre N64 controller it can be horrible. Imagine spending 10 min on a level only to suddenly see your health go from 50 to 0 because of a couple of lost souls.

I think you guys are spoiled by the PC ports. I have an actual N64 and a real copy of the game, and let me tell you something: It is NOWHERE near as easy as it is on the PC.

I don't even look at consoles. The only console i had played with was SEGA and still hated controls. FPS was made for PCs and porting them to consoles was really bad idea. WASD and Mouse is everything for FPS. Now all i play is PC games only.

6 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It's not too bad if you are using the PC EX port or some other D64 mod. But if you want to play it on an actual N64 which doesn't have any mid-game saving and also suffers from forcing you to use the mediocre N64 controller it can be horrible. Imagine spending 10 min on a level only to suddenly see your health go from 50 to 0 because of a couple of lost souls.

I think you guys are spoiled by the PC ports. I have an actual N64 and a real copy of the game, and let me tell you something: It is NOWHERE near as easy as it is on the PC.

Heard the N64 controller sucks a few times before, and I don't doubt it's more difficult with it than a kb + mouse, even PSX Doom seems to get trivialized by such a configuration, you almost have to force yourself to die in that thing. And talking about dying, I've been there an awful lot of times + other unimaginably stupid deaths.

But,

5 minutes ago, Antnee said:

I think for a PC port the D64 design of the lost soul is perfect.

I also played Doom 64 on the real hardware and, it's quite ok when you get used of the controls...

that lost soul is ready to slam the screen anytime...

Well, in Doom64 is hard to find mega armors, so the problem isn't the Lost Soul but the armors, you only find some in a couple of levels. I always play Doom64 on the real hardware on Watch me die.

There is D64 32levels TC for Doom II www.wad-archive.com/wad/1a4c8527826f4c5779a3815009cdaeb5

I had another version of this wad - it contained music and some wrong placed textures. I don't have that wad anymore and site i downloaded it from is dead, but i have its .mus files. You can load this archive as any pwad (worked in zdoom and Eternity).

d64m.zip

Lost souls are always fun monsters, these guys are tougher but also weaker at the same time. Too bad D64 has shit level design for me to really enjoy them.

Just now, NuMetalManiak said:

Lost souls are always fun monsters, these guys are tougher but also weaker at the same time. Too bad D64 has shit level design for me to really enjoy them.

Why do you hate Doom 64's level design? I use to have some negative opinions about it in the past because I kept comparing it to the original but I now know that the 2 games are such different beasts that making a side by side comparison makes no sense.

Seriously, all of my wat.  64 has some incredible level designs in it.  Very simplistic, elegant designs that put a lot of the originals (lookin at you Doom 2) to shame.

1 hour ago, Antnee said:

Seriously, all of my wat.  64 has some incredible level designs in it.  Very simplistic, elegant designs that put a lot of the originals (lookin at you Doom 2) to shame.

+ creative with lots of atmosphere <3 .

^ Poor Lost Soul only wants to show his compassion, but those heartless monsters loathe them :v .

I don't see anything wrong with them. If anything they're easier to kill than the original.

Even the Pain Elementals aren't as much of a pain in the ass compared to the original (no pun intended).

11 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Even the Pain Elementals aren't as much of a pain in the ass compared to the original (no pun intended).

If firing out two Lost Souls at once and causing explosion damage when destroyed is less of a pain in the ass, then I must be playing a different game.

4 hours ago, amackert said:

If firing out two Lost Souls at once and causing explosion damage when destroyed is less of a pain in the ass, then I must be playing a different game.

And said explosion can also damage you through solid object if you're within its range.

4 hours ago, amackert said:

Yeah they're pretty lethal.  I think a lot of their design choices (making most individual enemies more deadly) stems from the fact that it was a console game.  Fewer- but deadlier- enemies works pretty well when you're gimped with a controller.  Large PC like hordes is not a good time when you're thumbstickin it.

But I still think it translates well to the PC.  It's a pretty natural progression when you think about it.

Since the lost soul has less health, you just need to prioritize the fuckers first to kill (also goes with pain elementals). Any weapon except RL and BFG9000 is enough to kill them...heck, even the chainsaw will do a nice job to not spend ammo thanks to its high pain chance.

If you die thanks to a kamikaze LS with a rocket, consider your thinking.

7 hours ago, Antnee said:

Yeah they're pretty lethal.  I think a lot of their design choices (making most individual enemies more deadly) stems from the fact that it was a console game.  Fewer- but deadlier- enemies works pretty well when you're gimped with a controller.

Actually, all enemies were supposed to make a comeback, but this didn't happen due to memory limitations.

I meant fewer as in "not 50 enemies at a time", sorry. Generally in D64 the hordes are thinner than in the PC versions.

15 hours ago, amackert said:

I never knew that.

I stand corrected.

These lost Souls are annoying compared to what they were on the PC, and the Problem is there are too many Lost Souls, it looks like the Developers love them a lot!