Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

The greatest video game of this decade so far

Pretty damn impossible to pick only one game given how many genres are out there from my POV, no choice would do any justice.

But, some of the best I've played this decade so far:

Batman Arkham City.

Amnesia The Dark Descent.

Mortal Kombat IX.

Doom 2016.

Portal 2.

Dark Souls II (Funny, the entry that's usually seen as the weakest in the series).

I would've named a few more but I'd rather stick to games I've played for a (somewhat) significant time to have a solid opinion on them.

3 hours ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Team Fortress 2

19 hours ago, Ajora said:

Team Fortress 2 is 2007. 

^ .

It's tough to narrow it down to just one game, but the games that have really stuck out to me personally this decade so far have been Halo: Reach, Skylanders: Swap Force, Pokemon Y, Ori & The Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, & Sonic Mania. If I absolutely had to pick just one I would go with...

_NZInlsEXL9lWHOtHYY45D_wpQ8sNMV-.jpg

Some of my personal favorites of this decade are Doom 2016 (kind of predictable I guess), Batman: Arkham City, and The Last of Us. Enjoyed them all equally honestly.

I know Team Fortress 2 is from 2007 but the game has been updated so much that it feels like it's a different game in many ways. And personally, it's probably the only multiplayer game that have me coming back in a way other games don't for me, even after all the ups and downs.

Edited by Erick

1 hour ago, Erick said:

Some of my personal favorites of this decade are Doom 2016 (kind of predictable I guess), Batman: Arkham City, and The Last of Us. Enjoyed them all equally honestly.

I know Team Fortress 2 is from 2007 but the game has been updated so much that it feels like it's a different game in many ways. And personally, it's probably the only multiplayer game that have me coming back in a way other games don't for me, even after all the ups and downs.

Nice to see some more Batman Arkham love.

It's impressive how much time and effort Valve has invested in TF2 for over a decade indeed. Makes me wonder why they didn't do the same with some of their other games, primarily L4D2.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, Chezza said:

What's the innovation with GTA 5?

Its one of the most detailed game worlds I've seen in a video game of this scope. 

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Nice to see some more Batman Arkham love.

It's impressive how much time and effort Valve has invested in TF2 for over a decade indeed. Makes me wonder why they didn't do the same with some of their other games, primarily L4D2.

I kind of wish Arkham Knight wasn't so heavy on the Batmobile, otherwise I like the gameplay just as much as Arkham City. Story is also a bit weaker than past entries so that's a shame.

A shame a Left 4 Dead 3 (or some big L4D2 update) may not come around, I would really like to see what else lies in the game's world and probably a change in tone again, I prefer the tone of L4D1 over L4D2.

14 hours ago, Blind Joe Death said:

Shadow of the Colossus

I don't think 2005 classifies as being within this decade.

I have a really hard time choosing the best game of this decade so far, because I haven't really been wowed by any game this decade. It's odd for me to say, but I think I would have to give it to Undertale. I've only played through it once, but it's one of the few games that really sticks with me as being memorable. At first I just brushed it off as being some weird indie game, for several months, but when I finally decided to give it a go it sucked me in. Combat isn't fantastic, graphics certainly aren't fantastic, it's pretty damn linear, but the characters and the atmosphere stick with me. I didn't think I would like it going in; but doing a pacifist run really makes the characters attach to you. 

Other than that, Doom 2016 was fun to begin with, but it gets boring. Darksiders 2 was fun. Dusk is really fun, and has some great potential. Hopefully mapping for it picks up after release.

Oh, and I guess Fallout: New Vegas was released in 2010, so that still counts. And I would probably give my (non-indie)game of the decade to it, after adding in a shitload of mods.

I'm thinking I probably should have mentioned a caveat in my post earlier. I haven't really played Dark Souls, but there's a fairly good chance that I would like it more than I do Undertale. I love video games that are really hard and remind me of Berserk. I should probably play the PC remake of King's Field at some point.

Just now, DooM_RO said:

The decade is not over yet so I think this thread is a bit premature.

I agree. Admittedly, I mostly made it because I wanted to ramble on over the internet about how much I like Undertale. 

10 hours ago, Jello said:

I don't think 2005 classifies as being within this decade.

Well, there was this remaster that came out this year. I'm just trying to save face here.

I agree with you on New Vegas. It's a good all-rounder.

Hard to decide, but some games that'd I'd vouch for would be:

Dead Space 2 

Arkham Knight

Max Payne 3

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Spec Ops: The Line

Doom, duh

Minecraft is the choice above all others for me. I sunk a ton of hours into that game building extravagant castles and whatnot with my ex. I sorta associate the game with her so I haven’t played it a whole lot in recent times, but I just love it. 

Doom 2016 is the best FPS of the decade for sure, though Doom Eternal might trump that honor when it releases. was definitely a good comeback after Doom 3 being rather mediocre, and had one of the most eye-catching styles - and soundtracks - i've seen in this sea of modern military shooters that exists today.

i haven't played too much of it, but Minecraft is definitely something that intrigued me when i first played it this year. not so much the building aspect but more the survival gameplay that stuck out to me. there's something incredibly unique and tense to be stuck in an abandoned mineshaft and forgetting how to trek back with monsters all around you.

Portal 2 remains the only Valve game so far with a story that actually concluded, somewhat. i don't think too highly of it personally, but it was certainly something i enjoyed, with its witty story, incredible sense of scope, and a really iconic soundtrack. also the level editor was fun to play around with.

Undertale might be rather overrated now, but i can't deny that it isn't without some truth to it. the game really resonated with me, and the music is always going to stick with me now, particularly with how it heightens the emotional connection of the game's quirky and self-aware story. it's definitely not a game for everyone, but for me, it's definitely up there.

the XCOM reboots are also great. they might be a bit too hard for me, and the second one can be really stressful, but as far as turn-based strategy games goes, these games are top of the line for this decade.

For me, Kingdom Come Deliverance has been the game of the decade.

As someone who's hasn't been playing any RPG's since The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, I can only recommend this title to you guys. It's a medieval RPG playing in Bohemia in 1403. No guns, no cars, just maces and swords :)

It uses the simplest controls (WASD, that's it), has First-Person view and requires absolutely not much time to get into. 135159-167150-167149_rc.jpgThese are the games I always preferred: as simple as possible so you can just jump right in after 4 weeks of not playing.

Many people have named Batman Arkham Knight, but that game required me to learn sooooo many moves in stealth and combat, I neither have the time nor lust to learn all that.

Which is why I also skipped the Witcher 3. Too much hassle for me, I like it simple. In this game you have the DOOM controls and that's it.

This game was made by the original members of the Mafia dev team (not Mafia III!). The story is gripping, the combat satisfying, the graphics gorgeous and the characters are very memorable. Also the game has it's own humor and I haven't had this much fun playing since... years. Stealing is great in this game, you can rob just about everyone, your allies, enemies and even... monks ;)

thick-as-thieves-peshek.jpg

The downsides are that the game is badly optimized. You need some heavy hardware for this, more than for running DOOM16 (GTX1070, at least for high settings) Also there have been countless bugs and the game received about 13 Gb's of updates so that speaks for itself. It is stable now though after 7 updates.

ThfEaSN.jpg

I found my favorite right here. If I were to name a second one, it would be Alan Wake. Third would be DOOM16.

Doom (2016)

Dark Souls

Pillars of Eternity

Borderlands 2

hotline miami

Undertale

Cuphead

It's impossible for me to choose a single game but this list consists of my favorites so far in the 2010's. If forced as a last resort to choose a single game

the winner would be Cuphead. The other 6 games absolutely deserve to be on the list but Cuphead is gold from beginning to end. Beautiful 1920's/1930's style animation that wows the player. 

@explorix and @FractalBeast

I thoroughly enjoy both games. I have played Warband faaar more but it's more sandbox and has multiplayer. I can't wait for Bannerlord. In regards to Kingdom Come Deliverance, despite all the many bugs and glitches I truly do find this game great and want to see more releases.

4 hours ago, Chezza said:

@explorix and @FractalBeast

I thoroughly enjoy both games. I have played Warband faaar more but it's more sandbox and has multiplayer. I can't wait for Bannerlord. In regards to Kingdom Come Deliverance, despite all the many bugs and glitches I truly do find this game great and want to see more releases.

I tried that as well, it's cool and I'm also looking forward to Bannerlord. But I do wonder if we will see it next year, It's been delayed so many times now, that I stopped caring.

I also stopped playing online games due to the ridiculous amount of cheaters. It's not funny anymore and you can never be sure to have a fair, skill-based experience. That's in terms of CSGO tough, but all new games seem to have cheaters, so I don't even try any new ones. Unless the devs come up with some new protection (VAC is a joke to be honest) or browser-only games, I refrain from frustrating myself any longer.

For medieval fans there's also Mordhau coming up. That looks just as sick as Bannerlord and it seems to be a mixture of Bannerlord with the violence of KCD. But again, online only :(

Doom 2016, GTA5, Hotline Miami 1/2, Shovel Knight, Quake Champions.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:41 PM, explorix said:

Many people have named Batman Arkham Knight, but that game required me to learn sooooo many moves in stealth and combat, I neither have the time nor lust to learn all that.

To be fair the moves are quite easy to learn in the Batman Arkham games, the tricky part from my experience was mastering them. And I'm both a slow learner and a slow thinker. I remember so many occasions in Arkham City's Predator challenges and campaigns where I screwed up at the very end because the moves gave me a slap in my face.

This has only gotten better with each installment, something I noticed immediately when I tried to do the challenges in Arkham Asylum after coming back from City. There's fewer moves in that game on top of their combination being more awkward, particularly the combos. Predator challenges were mostly fine since the mechanics are mostly the same, but the combat ones... well I could easily build very high combos with relatively little effort in my better days (when I was in shape) (as in, x40-x50 and above) in City, but in Asylum I struggled to keep even the weak ones going. Also the thugs equipped with knives could not be countered or simply attacked without stunning them beforehand, who thought that was a good choice back then... it ruins the entire flow... Glad this was changed in the sequels, among other things.

A near-decade and an ever-increasing tempo of game releases. Hard to pick, so I'll just go by the most replays: Dishonored and its DLC.  Living up to the TTLG legacy with high fidelity isn't really feasible with a non-AAA budget so the maps are much less complex than either of the Thief games. However, the way the game systems interact, the fantastic art style and the interesting and rich setting more than make up for it. I was still discovering new things to do on my fourth time round.

For me its a tie up between DOOM (2016), Alien: Isolation and Sonic Mania

I'd say DayZ, not because it was good or anything, but it literally defined and created the "Battle Royale" gameplay style that has become an entire genre.

Minecraft has had huge impact.

As for fun, Undertale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Kerbal Space Program, all fun