Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Doombuilder 2 visual mode "laggy" movement

Recommended Posts

I get this thing when using doombuilder 2 where when I move around in visual mode the movement is very stuttery, i.e. it's not the smooth movement you'd expect similar to when you're lagging in an online game and you warp around all over the place. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes its unbearably bad. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's anything I can do about it, my PC should certainly be able to handle doombuilder. I'm using Windows 10 if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post

Does it go away if you move the Doom Builder window around (i.e. go to window mode from full screen and then drag the window around even just an inch)? I get this in many Windows programs. I think it's a bug since Vista.

 

If that doesn't fix it, a restart of your PC should.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Foodles said:

I get this thing when using doombuilder 2 where when I move around in visual mode the movement is very stuttery, i.e. it's not the smooth movement you'd expect similar to when you're lagging in an online game and you warp around all over the place. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes its unbearably bad. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's anything I can do about it, my PC should certainly be able to handle doombuilder. I'm using Windows 10 if that helps.

DB2 has a bug where due to a timing fault it's movement gets more and more imprecise the longer your computer has been on. DB2 is no longer in development so it won't be fixed there, but DBX does which you should use instead

Share this post


Link to post

Restart your computer.  Don't shut down, don't log off, restart. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Antnee said:

Restart your computer.  Don't shut down, don't log off, restart. 

Totally immaterial. The timer will be reset in either case, but reboot is the safer option.

 

Even when Foodles does that, DB2 will again start to be more imprecise as time goes on. The only logical solution is, as Edward850 already suggested, to use DBX, which does not cause that fault. Or, if one wants more editing features besides the GZDOOM features, GZDBBF.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Totally immaterial. The timer will be reset in either case, but reboot is the safer option.

It's not.   I am telling you with 100% certainty, that a reboot fixes the issue but a shutdown does not.

 

I shut down every night- every once in a while I have to reboot to fix the issue.  There was an older Doombuilder forum post that covered the specifics, but it's long since deleted.

 

And I agree that an upgrade is the ultimate solution (although the reason I use it is that DB64 is based on DB2, no choice there)- but OP if you haven't, restart.

 

 

Edited by Antnee

Share this post


Link to post

At least Windows 10 doesn't really shut down if you tell it to shut down. I shut mine down last night and powered it on this morning, yet I have over 8 days of uptime. I guess the timers are not reset in that case.

Share this post


Link to post

That's exactly right, and why a restart solves the issue.

 

They've also rolled out this new "feature" where if you had any apps open when you shut down, most of them re-open as you power on.  So I'll have a youtube video blasting in the background before I'm even logged in!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×