Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gabenslair

Who feels a bit sick of constantly playing techbase levels?

Does this disapproval trend of Techbases includes HiTechbases?

ei1eHwF.jpg

Otherwise i'm gonna drop this and call it a day Ç_Ç

I think Doom needs some more ancient ruin/Aztec themed maps. I've seen enough techbases and gothic/hell stuff to last me a lifetime.

I did an underwater techbase map and no one said anything :p

Aztec/Mayan maps are something that I'd like to see more.

6 hours ago, Zanieon said:

Oh, scrumptious! Which texture pack is that? 

3 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Sounds awesome.

Speaking of which, once I was learning how to apply mods into wads and somehow mistakenly merged brutal doom and brutal hexen in one. The game actually launched, the textures were completely messed up but I had brutal doom weapons in hexen and the game was smart enough to replace some monsters with each other but with veeery strange anomalies upon interaction.

19 hours ago, Sparktimus said:

I think Doom needs some more ancient ruin/Aztec themed maps. I've seen enough techbases and gothic/hell stuff to last me a lifetime.

Very true. While there are certainly very well-made techbases, gothic castles, and hellscapes, that are all very fun to play, there probably should be more of a concerted effort to generate more maps with underused themes (see here, for examples of such themes from the community).

Of course, people make what they like, so I'm not advocating stopping making techbases, gothic castles, and hell maps. I'm just saying it might be nice if there were more unusual themes produced.

There has been a lot of differently themed wads recently, especially for natural/ruin themes:

- Avactor is a very nice Aztec/ruin themed wad with huge maps. 
- Jaska's Lost Civilization is another one that features beautiful landscapes with more realistic details.
- There's even my own one too (Exomoon), also with lots of ruins and natural landscapes.
- REKKR, a vanilla compatible TC with Viking style and therefore more ancient stuff.

@Steve D It's a custom one i have for a long decade now, but it started from Too Much Brown texture pack, then i handpicked some Doom 3, Doom 4, Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 3 textures myself, also few of them are made by me.

@ketmar @ReaperAA Main UAC Hangar is the name of that thing, and i have been stuck with the progress of it again :S

Anyways on-topic, i need to say that probably the high amount of techbases comes from the fact that Doom Builder starts with STARTAN as default texture for walls, this somehow induces people to make techbases if they are newbies to mapping, or wanting to make Ultimate Doom E1~E2 inspired maps, i never found anything wrong with Techbases that uses custom textures or a very peculiar architecture, because otherwise it seems like everyone is Romero when mapping.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:00 PM, Zanieon said:

ei1eHwF.jpg

I need this.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, Zanieon said:

ei1eHwF.jpg

Where can I download this?

On 11/8/2018 at 9:00 PM, Zanieon said:

ei1eHwF.jpg

holy shit that looks rad.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:28 PM, Sparktimus said:

Amen