Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Have details of FTL travel ever been mentioned prior to Doom 3?

Notice that there are no citations in that section. For that reason, I would ignore it.

The nature of teleporters in Doom is murky at best, given the only thing we know about them is that they are somehow linked to Hell, and I don't think Doom 3 made any mention of Faster-Than-Light travel.

It's most likely someone overanalyzing something that shouldn't be analyzed at all.

9 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Notice that there are no citations in that section.

If you look at that page and scroll through it, you'll find that most of the subsections (including all of the game entries) do not have citations. In fact, there is even a message on the top of the page identifying as a page that needs better citation. And that message dates from 2008. Ultimately, judging from the Talk page for this entry, it hasn't been getting a lot of attention, since the last update was 9 years ago.

10 hours ago, invictius said:

Was looking at a wikipedia article about FTL for a sci-fi series and there's a mention of Doom, but it doesn't sound like "anomaly" means teleporter:

9 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The nature of teleporters in Doom is murky at best, given the only thing we know about them is that they are somehow linked to Hell, and I don't think Doom 3 made any mention of Faster-Than-Light travel.

This topic has actually gotten a bit of discussion here before.

I understand why the authors of the Wiki article decided to include Doom teleporters, since they had included all manner of other types of transport devices that do the same thing, but I disagree with clumping them all together like that anyway.

Ultimately, I wouldn't call the teleporters in Doom FTL in the same way that warp drive in Star Trek is FTL or the FTL drive in Battlestar: Galactica is FTL. I would argue that they probably work more closely to the jumpgates in Babylon 5, in that the individual that steps on the teleporter traverses through an alternate dimension (like in B5 how ships travel through hyperspace).