Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dylux

Slaughterfest WADs: Pro or Anti?

4 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

Can someone name any slaughtermaps that don't go too far? Like ones that can be challenging, but not too overwhelming and it gives you enough time to breath?

Slaughterfest2012.wad. The first map makes you get used to it step by step. 2nd map is alright as well, you can find hiding spots at the beginning. Map03 is quite a bit difficult I'd say. If you know how infighting works it might not be too bad. Unfortunately, this map needs patience and some good strategies. If you can carry your BFG into map04 then Map04 shouldn't be too bad. Focus on taking out archviles. Map07 will gradually develop into a fully slaughter map. Map08 again, the starting might be too difficult. It goes on so forth. The meme map15 can be a pain of ass as well lol. The rest is alright. If you can get used to the playstlye, I am sure you will love the later maps, like about map20 to 30. Oh map20 is just classic, really trains you well in rushing and hiding and dodging.

Yeah sure, I like slaughter. My favourite type is punchy encounters with minimal grind and cleanup, and less emphasis on playing the infighting simulator. Basically, I like slaughter fights that force me to start shooting right away, rather than corralling hordes as they do a lot of the killing for me. 

25 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

Can someone name any slaughtermaps that don't go too far? Like ones that can be challenging, but not too overwhelming and it gives you enough time to breath?

The quintessential "slaughter-lite" mapset is Rush. You may also appreciate Noctambulist.

Most slaughtermaps are good.

Slaughterfest 2012 is excellent, 2011 not so much. 3 has plenty of good shit. ESP isn't really recommended for ZDoom players (or at least Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth for some reason). Most Ribbiks maps are NOT slaughtermaps, but look no further than MAP12 and  MAP28 of Sunlust (I actually had to check which maps were made by who and which ones can even be considered as slaughtermaps here, because the majority of Sunlust maps actually aren't slaughtermaps) as well as the last two maps in Stardate 20x7.

Pizza Steve is an example of a BAD one due to its unbalance in many levels.

Enough examples of good and bad. The deal to make is that most good slaughtermaps will try to make you efficiently strategize. This basically means finding the right horde to smash with a BFG9000 or rocket launcher, and to whittle most enemies down until the coast is clear. Or to other things, like getting enemies to infight, dodging bullet hell scenarios, there's more to come. Many of the maps often use turrets. You mention Unholy Realms, which although is 0% slaughtermap material actually manages to utilize turrets very often, making you prioritize which targets are the nastiest ones, not to forget budgeting your resources, remembering where each and every one is placed, and so forth. It can be a pain in the ass for max speedrunners, since they have to do so much and they want to exit in the littlest possible time just to see the juicy 100% kills, but the way the good slaughtermaps are handled is what makes the maps memorable and fun.

6 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

No, the few slaughter(-ish) maps in it do not make it a slaughterwad.

Slaughter is the thinking man's game. It's about figuring out how to beat fights consistently and efficiently. Slaughter requires certain techniques most "normal maps" don't require, and that's why people appreciate them.

Want more thoughts on slaughter maps? Here you go: http://doomradio.org/

Listen to the interview with Benjogami and Mr. Zzul. It has the info you are looking for.

I listened to most of the Interview. I admit I had no idea there was a Doom Radio LOL!....very interesting points they make.

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

tbh, i found only one way to enjoy such maps: find somebody on youtube who beat a map, and watch a video. i am a very slow thinker, so i cannot plan my tactics while under constant attack. heh, i sux even in DooM RL: it is too fast-paced for me.

That is a fantastic idea of watching someone actually beat a slaughter map!

24 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

The quintessential "slaughter-lite" mapset is Rush. You may also appreciate Noctambulist.

I'll second these suggestions and add Combat Shock 2, which has difficulty settings nicely implemented which would allow a player to start off at a less intense level if they so want to.

I am not good at them, and I never get farther than 3 or 4 maps. But I enjoy them. And even if I can't beat them the legit way, they're still really fun to play with gameplay mods, like Guncaster and and other mods that make you overpowered.

Not a huge fan of them but I find them more enjoyable in Co-op games, I'm very bad at them and I never thought of investing the effort of learning how to beat them, but working with a team of 2 or more people makes them tolerable.

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Not this again please, we've had enough threads on this subject. People have different preferences, accept it, and yeah it makes sense you won't enjoy them if you're saving every ten seconds. Also, Unholy Realms isn't a slaughter set, before making a thread like this you should know what you're talking about.

No one invited the troll-whores to this thread. Also, your Midol needs refilling.

having not played a true slaughterwad ever (i usually end up on the lighter end of the spectrum with shit like AA and maaaybe btsx e1 map18? (or 17, sorry i've forgotten the map number) Though I've been told that's very light relative to the true ones) i can't comment on whether or not i like them or not (both of those examples were fun though). I can however, comment on that I'm getting tired of this discussion happening like clockwork once every few months. It's the same shit over and over. it's not like we're intending to kick you out if you don't like slaughterwads, there's no reason to make a big deal about it.

ed: frankly this post is part of the "same shit over and over" if I'm honest but oh well

Edited by InsanityBringer

I have to agree with AD here. Slaughter maps are so talked from time to time that it gets tiresome. Just like several times before, if you like them, then good and if you don't, good too. And yes, arguments starts out of nowhere when this specific topic gets touched.

38 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

Is it so wrong to be tired of a topic that constantly gets threads made about it despite the subject in question having been beaten to death and then some? It's beyond obnoxious at this point. Not to mention that this generally devolves into an argument between the slaughter crowd and people who complain about basically anything in Doom, and it's just so goddamn frustrating. Look, there has been a lot of discussion of this in the past, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that at least a sizable portion of the community does enjoy them. Does "why do people enjoy these maps, I don't understand it" still need to be asked?

Honestly though, this thread has been way more civil and thoughtful than the past ones, and there have been no flamewars yet. Maybe we can keep it that way?

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

44 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

and there have been no flamewars yet. Maybe we can keep it that way?

Unfortunately this is the internet so there's a 99% chance that's not gonna happen.

Yo slaughtermaps are really bad and anyone who enjoys them should eat a cactus whole!!!

haha lol i m 2 edgy and 2 controversial 4 u!!!

That depends how fun they are... some of them I run out of ammo halfway through where it's like ooo I didn't know I was supposed to run through that room and kill that room full of enemies. Here I was thinking I had to kill everything. It's not like I can miss the enemies.

I'd say 75% are fun and well made. 25% are horrible slogs where my patience wears thin. Like there's nothing new, exciting or challenging for waves upon waves.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

..and there have been no flamewars yet. Maybe we can keep it that way?

Oh whoops, I just triggered the monster closet and it contains 666 Archviles. On a more serious note, I really really really really like infighting, so yeah, I like slaughterwads. When I can cause a lot of infighting. When it comes to just pure combat, I prefer normal wads... Where every enemy encounter is memorable.

1489956348002.gif

4 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Preacher (after the first couple maps)

I like slaughterfest levels because they make me feel powerful.  also its really satisfying to blast through imp hordes with a bfg9000.  There are some slaughterfest maps I don't like gameplay-wise though (most of chillax, sunder and totg)

Depends on the slaughterfest; shit like Chillax is just annoying and boring; Chillax is only saved by a good mod/add-on to complement it (other slaughter packs won't necessarily be so good in that aspect). Slaughterfests are better when they are more than just a box with monsters and the player actually has to use some brain play in order to survive (more than just Mouse1 at a wall/teleport destination).

It really depends on the type of slaughter we're talking about here, since naturally there's always a more specific genre.

If we're talking Ribbiks, then yes absolutely I love it. The same goes for Go 2 It style chaotic slaughter which I also find really fun. However, if we're talking about Hell Revealed 2 then I'll pass, thank you very much.

e: Is this the longest period of time DW has spent talking about slaughter without the thread dissolving into petty back-and-forth arguments?

7 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

I am noobish player (to a point where even some plutonia levels on UV are tough for me).  But I enjoyed Valiant's secret map (map 31) as it had large monster count but it didn't feel too hard as ammo is plentiful.

Edit: I played it on HNTR I think. So on UV that map might be tough.

Edited by ReaperAA

18 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

some plutonia levels on UV are tough for me

so you made it past first two? you're pro then!

Just now, ketmar said:

so you made it past first two? you're pro then!

Really? Do i get some sort reward for it :D