Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Deathless - v1.1 out.

@Deadwing Looks like you played RC1, so you did miss a chance at a plasma rifle on E3M4. Good strategic use of the chainsaw in that map btw. Friggin' nasty baron death on M7! And E3M9's exit room certainly gave you a hard time. D:

I'll try and address any serious balance issues here, particularly in terms of weapon progression - also, having just done a co-op playtest with two other players, it looks like some of these maps might need a slight rebalance in terms of multi placement.

You did miss a trick with the cyberdemon fight in M7:

Spoiler

He can be telefragged if you're smart enough. Though I have a feeling this dawned on you after you warped up there. :P

RC3 is out!

- Text file and WADINFO lump (with text file's contents) added.

- Some music changed around - most notably Griefless's old music selection is back in.*

- Some balance issues in Episode 2 and 3 addressed, particularly with regards to multiplayer placement.

- Demos should no longer cause the sound to cut out in Crispy Doom. Whoopsie.

- Many other map problems resolved. Thanks to all the players giving feedback so far!

First post updated.

Download "Deathless" RC3 (1.61MB)

*Due to the new music in Episode 4 being named D_E4M*, the new music will only play in Crispy Doom (which appears to recognise the new lumps) and modern ports that allow for custom music lumps to be defined for maps, such as GZDoom and Eternity. PrBoom+ users will hear the usual E4 music roster, as that port has no such customisation, and does not recognise tracks with that designation. Once again Crispy seems to be the ideal option.

Edited by Jimmy

Played through it for the second time today, this time doing a continuous run with proper controls (instead of keyboarding). Good stuff all around, E3 and E4 are my favourite I think. But I have just now noticed something that I can't believe I haven't noticed before and it's pretty embarrassing.

I have complained earlier that I don't like the secret levels in E1-E3 because they're recreations of DOOM2 levels. Aaaand I didn't even notice that E4 secret level... is also a recreation of a DOOM2 level. :) I mean, I have seen similarities but I thought they were either coincidences or simple references but it didn't occur to me that the entire layout is based on Underhalls. But my ignorance aside I think that's the main thing: that level is based on Underhalls but it's not just reskinned Underhalls unlike other secrets levels. That's pretty much my only real gripe with this project.

RC4 is out! This will probably the final version that I upload to /idgames (or very close to it). I do want to test it out with more players co-operatively. If anyone else has the capability, please test this in multiplayer, ideally with 4 players and respawning items off! With no mods loaded of course, please.

- INTERPICs have been added! Cobbled together from various skies by @Mechadon, @Eradrop, @Fuzzball, and @Blastfrog.

- Some more serious ammo balancing in E1-E3 on UV. No more huge surfeit of shells now, hopefully.

- Every map has health/armor bonuses now, to ensure the item % at the end of each level can reach 100%.

Download "Deathless" RC4 (1.68MB)

Edited by Jimmy

Jimmy you are pure sorcerer man. Make a megawad in just 9 days and keep high quality level design and gameplay for all maps is huge piece of awesomness.

I'm currently close to finish 2nd episode and having a lot of fun. Vanilla level design feels great, of course you will find some nitpick stuff but with the 9 days fact i ended up ignore pretty much all of them. I just turn myself off and go have some fun.

Here is small 20min gameplay footage if you dont mind :)

Thanks @Marlamir! Super glad you're enjoying it.

The misalignment you pointed out at the beginning of E1M4 I actually went and fixed yesterday since it was bothering me too. <:D

Spoiler

Found it interesting that you tackled E1M9 without creating infighting between the two bosses. There's a switch on the lower level that removes the barrier between the two bosses' platforms, allowing them to fight. This is definitely the way to beat the map if you want to conserve ammo. :P

On 11/19/2018 at 1:53 PM, Jimmy said:

I do want to test it out with more players co-operatively. If anyone else has the capability, please test this in multiplayer, ideally with 4 players and respawning items off!

Well, this is not quite what you asked for but if there's a way to truly stress test a wad's coop compatibility it's with a TNS session.

We will play the first 2 episodes tomorrow and of course you all are welcome to join us. Session starts at 19:00 GMT/14:00 EST and should be active for a good few hours.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:40 PM, Jimmy said:

There's a switch on the lower level that removes the barrier between the two bosses' platforms, allowing them to fight. This is definitely the way to beat the map if you want to conserve ammo. :P

Wow i have no idea i was able lower the barrier down and i'm really thankful that you told me about this. Guess i was having more deadly fun this way :)

It's balanced with continuous in mind. Pistol starting the whole thing might be tricky as a result.

Also please run it with doom.wad if you can. :P

Gotcha.

I did run it with "-iwad DOOM.WAD", and so I was puzzled as to why it started on MAP01 instead of E1M1. My waddir might be messed up, I'll make sure the iwad is really loading next time.

More of deathless gameplay -

E1M1 was a really strong start, E1M2 was good. There wasn't anything wrong with E1M3, but at this point the very similar techbases are starting to feel a little monotonous, which hampered my enjoyment a little. E1M9 was fine, a nice gimmick. It feels like a pretty fast jump in arsenal - I entered with a secret RL from E1M3 to find non-secret RL and plasma - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing and I'll have to see how the later maps work with that.

Spoiler

E1M2

E1M3 (Secret exit)

E1M9 (Secret map)

Edited by meapineapple

EDIT: This was meant to be posted in the DW Megawad Club thread, but i'll leave it here too ;)

I've just finished recording and am currently uploading the first episode, scheduling the videos to publish daily.  I won't spam my video links in this thread but I will watch each one on the publishing day to refresh me and give my thoughts if I have any worth sharing.  So far, I just want to say, 9 days is impressive for this, even if the rest of the month was spent fixing things, each one of the maps I've played would have taken me days or weeks to complete...then I am still a novice at mapping ;)

Edited by guitardz

SESAME UNDER WATCH: CAUSE OF DEATH - CAMEO IN A DOOM INTERMISSION SCREEN.

points to those who get the reference other than the designers :V

I already played through the first three episodes and I can already say they not only fun to play but also reasonable on the difficulty scale. Nothing too extreme so anybody can give this map set a whirl!

EDIT: And by the way..

Playlist

Edited by Glaice : Added video, then later playlist

Is it relevant to keep RC1 through RC4 on the OP anymore now that the final version is available, @Jimmy?

I really enjoyed this map set. It is my favorite that I have played this year.

The maps had excellent length and difficulty. Secrets were fun to search for and find using the logical, consistent hints.

The whole set was good, classic Doom.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:49 PM, Jimmy said:

It's balanced with continuous in mind. Pistol starting the whole thing might be tricky as a result.

I managed to uvmax all 36 maps pistol starting. Ammo is a little tight on some maps but no crazy non berserk fisting is required as long as you use your ammo and weapons sensibly, connecting with the your target most times. What an excellent and fun mapset to play. Congratulations on the super speedy, yet high quality release, I had a blast playing it!

Almost halfway through this megawad and I gotta say, job well done Jimmy! Can't believe you actually made this in 9 days. Really enjoying this wad so far and loved the ending to Episode 1.

I'm deeply in love with this. The enemy balance, traps, the oldschool lighting\gimmicks... it's beautiful.

Thank you.

This is the most fairly balanced wad i've played in a LONG time, ESPECIALLY the first episode. No BS enemy spawns, fair ammo and weapon placement, no tedious backtracking...THIS is what Doom should feel like.

jimmy iv'e been crawling through hell and back searching for a gzdoom version with a .zip extention instead of .7z please help i will figure every thing else out once i'm in. i just want to make a map pack for doom 4 vanilla.

8 hours ago, portable refrigerator said:

jimmy iv'e been crawling through hell and back searching for a gzdoom version with a .zip extention instead of .7z please help i will figure every thing else out once i'm in. i just want to make a map pack for doom 4 vanilla.

7zip isn't really that hard to figure out tho...