Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Deathless - v1.1 out.

After winning Cacowards for other work, being semi-officially ''noticed by Senpai'' is a monumental achievement and a definitive testament to the quality of your work @Jimmy.  You, sir, definitely stand among the more memorable mappers in the nu-Doom era. Your body of work is an inspiration for new and veteran mappers alike, and your initiatives are refreshening and innovative, whether that's through mapping contests, standalone games, tutorial series, midi music or likewise.

A Jack of all Trades, but also a Master of All. It is only fitting that Dauntless gets placed in.

Having ticked off most awards, i am looking forward to whatever new contraption you will come up with first. Something that earns a Mockaward, perhaps?

Congratulations, Jimmy.

I'll join the chorus here Jimmy - you've worked incredibly hard and achieved an awful lot over the years, but this is definitely an awesome bit of recognition. You're one of the all-time greats. Fortunately you also seem to enjoy it, so we can hope for more to look forward to!

Edited by Phobus

Many thanks, all!!

13 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

@Jimmy, is the addon rebalanced to account for the Lost Souls and Spiderdemon having their original health values? Or is it pretty much identical?

No, I didn't change any of the monster placement - the only reason the health values were reverted is because the Bethesda port doesn't support any DEHACKED. The difference is negligible, honestly. As much as I love cleaving through lost souls with ease with the shotgun.

@Jimmy I just played the entire WAD within the last 3 days (technically 2, but I replayed the first episode on the second day) that might be the best thing I've ever played, bravo! very great game!

On 5/25/2020 at 11:00 AM, Jimmy said:

All maps have had minor tweaks and improvements done.

RIP demos :(

The levels are short, there are few enemies, the gameplay is dynamic. Wad has nothing to do in its structure with the "Faithless" hub for Heretic from the same Jimmy guy that followed later and which one stands at a much higher level. The closest thing here is NaNoHexen 2019, which I wrote about earlier, inlcluding a reason that "Deathless" was made, as I got, in less than in a month.

Settings and other:

* GzDoom.

* Mod Complex Doom.

* 36 levels, 4 of them secret.

* +/- plot covers the events of The Ultimate Doom, but without actual changes - seems to essentially the author did not waste time on this aspect. E1 plays up the ending in it's own way - instead of two barons there is a whole group that meets the player along with the cacodemons. E2 - beats the ending of the original E3, making the fight harder by placing 2 cyberdemons.

* As in the original Doom episodes are not loaded in a sequence. Each must be passed separately.

* Difficulty - "Ultra-Violence".

* I did not collect 100% of secrets. For the most part, however, they are simple and not very remarkable.

* E4M5 - Serene Shadows has a platform with cyberdemon. There is a secret behind it with a teleport. By going into that you can kill the mentioned one by telefrag + pick up the BFG.

* On E4M7 - Sea of Etrails. BFG and invulnerability can be found here, which greatly simplifies the fight against the cyberdemon and most opponents.

Secret levels.

?. E1M9. Not found. The main feature of the level is a reference to the moment in which it was possible to arrange a battle between the cyberdemon and the mastermind. Otherwise, it does not stand out in anything and, judging by YouTube, you can run it in less than 3 minutes.

?. A similar picture is with E2M9. Small arena in swampy area, 1 cyberdemon.

?. The exit to E3M9 is at E3M6. You need to get into the tower through the red-blue teleport-wall and press the switch, but I did not figure out how to get to this teleport. The secret level is not interesting.

?. E4M9 also did not make it, however, the level is just misc thing again.

Pros:

+ Run'n'Gun fans will love the gameplay.

+ E2M7 - City of Coal.

Contras:

- The maps are generally of the same type and are devoid of any frills.

- Quite a mediocre last level where a battle with 2 masterminds and a cyberdemon awaits on a small closed area. All three can be methodically killed by shooting from the cover. There are enough walls around.

Oh well. I was just about to start playing this, but as long as I heard this uses just the original Doom stock music and I realized I would need to listen through it all over again, I gave this megawad a nope.

That's a pity. Not necessarily fully original soundtrack, but I wish I could listen to something really different from stock music. Perhaps an arrangement of Jimmy's MIDIs from various projects and midi packs. If anybody could make a "midi pack" for this by picking the appropriate Jimmy's midis to fit the respective maps, I would be thankful and enjoy playing through this.

2 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

Oh well. I was just about to start playing this, but as long as I heard this uses just the original Doom stock music and I realized I would need to listen through it all over again, I gave this megawad a nope.

That's a pity. Not necessarily fully original soundtrack, but I wish I could listen to something really different from stock music. Perhaps an arrangement of Jimmy's MIDIs from various projects and midi packs. If anybody could make a "midi pack" for this by picking the appropriate Jimmy's midis to fit the respective maps, I would be thankful and enjoy playing through this.

You could just pick what MIDIs you like, check the Wiki on how to rename them to replace stock music and make your own MIDI pack that way. 

7 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

You could just pick what MIDIs you like, check the Wiki on how to rename them to replace stock music and make your own MIDI pack that way. 

Well, the whole point of my post is, that I don't want to do this myself (otherwise I would simply do that and wouldn't ask here).

I would actually need to play through this first to get familiar with the levels and their theme and feeling to find appropriate and fitting midi, which is, kinda useless. Picking just random midis wouldn't work either. The best is if this is done by someone else, so I can't expect what will actually come, and can still have some original experience other than picking just my favourite midis.

33 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

Personally I think that you shouldn't deny yourself from playing something on the grounds that it uses stock midi tracks. Whilst music is important to set the mood, the stock midis are perfectly capable of doing this, even to this day.

On the other hand, there is a valid point here that can be redirected to this thread...

35 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

I would actually need to play through this first to get familiar with the levels and their theme and feeling to find appropriate and fitting midi

Well, I don't actually think you'd need to do that anymore! I know Ultimate MIDI Pack and MID the way id did are both full of songs that "kinda sorta mostly" fit the vibe of certain iwad MIDI counterparts. You could open Deathless in Slade, check out which stock MIDIs are used, and replace them with the corresponding track from the MIDI packs, ensuring the mood at least mostly matches, without having to go on some big song hunt or having to play through the whole thing first.

22 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Well, I don't actually think you'd need to do that anymore! I know Ultimate MIDI Pack and MID the way id did are both full of songs that "kinda sorta mostly" fit the vibe of certain iwad MIDI counterparts. You could open Deathless in Slade, check out which stock MIDIs are used, and replace them with the corresponding track from the MIDI packs, ensuring the mood at least mostly matches, without having to go on some big song hunt or having to play through the whole thing first.

Thanks for advice! I think Ultimate MIDI Pack would be a good choice. I think even better use for it than playing vanilla Ultimate Doom with it. I'm gonna fire Deathless with it!

I don't think I'm likely to do any rearrangement or further work on this, as Deathless seems to just follow the stock soundtrack for the most part, I don't think it is that much necessary.

I haven't beaten E4M7 yet (or the secret maps from Episode 2 onwards) but all these maps made me appreciate how great the original IWAD had to be to feel great with low monster variety and that this WAD was levels better. The boss maps weren't limited by having to introduce everybody to the DOOM franchise and so could actually provide a real challenge and a satisfying conclusion to each episode. Great stuff!

I'm really looking forward to Earthless.

Before posting, I just saw what the other secret maps were and I've been missing out.

I got half way through episode 1 and I am definitely loving it. I love the level design, the monster placements and the cool custom assets. I only wish that there was a little more ammo to go around as I kept running out. If that is the way it was supposed to be played then it definitely worked. Thanks a lot for the entertainment! I will keep playing!